Okay - I bought one

Guest WILBUR

Went to the T-Mobile store in oxford street at about 9:30 to see balloons, lots of T-Mobile folks and not many punters...

They'd been open since 7, and although there was apparently one guy waiting outside since 5am, there wasn't exactly a stampede and they'd sold about 20 handsets to new-to-t-mobile subs (more including upgrades to existing customers) so far...

Thoughts...

Negatives:

The screen alignment has been a bit off - i don't know how or if i can re-set it - It is beginning to annoy me

GPS is so much slower than my N82 or Vario III - doesn't have quick GPS which makes a real difference

menus/settings are so inconsistent - sometimes you tap and hold, sometimes you press a hardware key, it's like they were all made by a bunch of different folks

Email app (not the gmail one) insists on remarking all emails as new when it retrieves my pop3 email

Gets pretty hot when charging!

It looks like T-MObile has got the other IM accounts disabled - i only have access to google Talk - the Hotmail/Yahoo/other settings aren't there...

Good:

Google sync is superb, excellent, quick, all my contacts / calendar / gmail sync with no probs

Keyboard is actually quite good and the funny hardware shape doesn't get in the way as much as i thought (though if you are charging it is a right pain as the charger is right where you want your hand

Trackerball is better than i thought

Any questions, I'll answer them

Guest Ghost_1
Went to the T-Mobile store in oxford street at about 9:30 to see balloons, lots of T-Mobile folks and not many punters...

They'd been open since 7, and although there was apparently one guy waiting outside since 5am, there wasn't exactly a stampede and they'd sold about 20 handsets to new-to-t-mobile subs (more including upgrades to existing customers) so far...

Thoughts...

Negatives:

The screen alignment has been a bit off - i don't know how or if i can re-set it - It is beginning to annoy me

GPS is so much slower than my N82 or Vario III - doesn't have quick GPS which makes a real difference

menus/settings are so inconsistent - sometimes you tap and hold, sometimes you press a hardware key, it's like they were all made by a bunch of different folks

Email app (not the gmail one) insists on remarking all emails as new when it retrieves my pop3 email

Gets pretty hot when charging!

It looks like T-MObile has got the other IM accounts disabled - i only have access to google Talk - the Hotmail/Yahoo/other settings aren't there...

Good:

Google sync is superb, excellent, quick, all my contacts / calendar / gmail sync with no probs

Keyboard is actually quite good and the funny hardware shape doesn't get in the way as much as i thought (though if you are charging it is a right pain as the charger is right where you want your hand

Trackerball is better than i thought

Any questions, I'll answer them

Lol seems like you had the same experience I did but in another country. :lol: I felt the same way about the touch screen until I realized it's is nothing like any of my previous HTC phones. In fact it's more like my ipod touch screen where you're best off using your finger tip rather then the flat of the finger. I feel bad for all the ladies and guys who use their finger nails to tap out things on the screen. :o Once you get used to the fingertip method you'll see that it's a hundred times better then having to realign your screen and then get used to switching back and forth between a stylus and finger. After I got used to it I can move faster then I did with my old TYTN II.

I agree with you on everything else. There is supposed to be an OTA update, which I have not received yet, that is supposes to address some of our issues. I'm sure that in the future there will be more. When I get asked about the Google OS by anyone I just say it's a decent phone but for everything else it's still lacking. Just needs more time. HTC GPS' have never been that great compared to everyone else's since they stopped using the SIRF Star III chips. For whatever reason, I think it was Qualacomms, GPS chips work and they are ok but they are craptacular compared to anything using the SIRF star's. That's my opinion at least.

A few little updates from my end. I bought my phone in the Washington DC area. We weren't supposed to get 3G until sometime within the next few months. So I've been using EDGE which is fine with me until. . . dun dun da, this morning when I woke up to a nice little 3G icon next to my signal strength meter. :D I had been having issues all day yesterday with my phone. Phone calls to me going straight to voice mail, intermittent EDGE services, no dial tone. I thought it was something I did, then when I saw the 3G icon this morning I was very happy to see it. ;) I am about 15 minutes outside of Washington DC so I'm assuming Washington DC has had their 3G for a minute.

Guest chrisms_cotland

I've been close to buying one too but I think I will wait until the hardware matures a little, Android OS looks good but not so keen on the G1.