HH7 T-mobile firmware - can I upgrade?

Guest Cretster

Guest Cretster

My Omnia is a T-mobile branded one, and the versions are shown as:

XXHH7/BOHH5 PDA

HH2 PHONE

Ideally I'd like to get rid of the T-mobile branding, and if there are other benefits to using a more recent rom like speed/battery improvements that would be just great as the battery life does seem pretty poor (eg 80% after say 6 hours without actually doing anything on it).

I've done firmware upgrades on other Winmo phones before so I don't mind trying but the only references to HH7 I can find are people asking similar questions, but no answers - sure some of you clever people must know which versions I can safely upgrade to?

Would really appreciate knowing the answer to this as I don't want to just guess at whether it's safe to just pick one!

Thanks & regards

Jim

Edited by Cretster

Guest Cretster

Anyone? Surely there must be loads of people with this Rom out there?

I really want to change it to a nerer one so I REALLY would appreciate if anyone could advise which Rom is safe to go to, or if I should be able to change it to pretty much any of them.

Pretty please?

Alternatively, even if people aren't sure which Roms ARE compatible, I'd be happy to know which ones definitely are NOT so I can cross them off the list. I'd like to try something like J1 but am just very wary without more info on compatibility with my existing one.

Thanks guys

Guest zkyevolved

LOL! I love how you posted so many times. You can upgrade, probably. But everyone runs the risk of bricking their phones. Go for it, with caution and with some kind of insurance :lol:. If it breaks, call them and say that someone stole it and your insurance will cover it :D. haha.

Guest skullster

Hi I updated my T-mobile (UK) i900 from HH7 and had no real problems. Ive flashed about 6 times now and am currently using PaSSoa's excellent lite01 version with lite02 downloading. I use it with SBPshell 2, tomtom, etc Its much faster and has better battery life than the original T-mobile version. Just my opinion of course and you have to understand the risks if the flash fails (at least you can hold the door open with it) That said there are a huge number of people on this forum who adicted to flashing and y who have had no issues at all - just improoved their phone.

Guest Cretster

Thanks for the replies guys, that's a great help & I appreciate it. :lol:

Which method of flashing it would be newb safest for this? I've flashed plenty of phones in the past (XDA, SE phones etc) but none I think that have been quite so risky, so anything I can do to minimise the risk of bricking it would be good.

Incidentally, what are all the people with bricked ones doing with them? I looked on Ebay but didn't see any bricked ones and I expected to see loads - can they be repaired for sensible money at all?

Cheers

Jim

Guest Cretster

Please bear with me and my newb questions but I'd rather be sure. I've read through ROM threads on here but it's a lot of info to try and remember which all the exact necessary bits are etc - now if I remember correctly, when I download for instance the 'updater' from the samsung site (not that I will be getting the Rom from there) it is an .exe file which includes the rom itself?

I have already installed the Samsung modem driver, so do I just need the HJ1 rom file linked in the sticky thread to proceed, or have I forgotten about an actual application that applies it? I don't think I need to use Grandprix as I believe that's a more advanced program for people who basically aren't me!

Appreciate the replies, and sorry again as I know how sick of these questions people must get as I run a busy forum myself! I'd just rather be certain than lose a few hundred quid!

Guest Cretster

Right, I just grew some cajones and did the update to HJ1 and it went perfectly.

Thanks very much to all who replied for your patience. It is much appreciated.

Can't notice any difference yet - if I had to choose I'd almost be tempted to say it seemed to run a shade quicker on the old rom but hard to tell and the fact it's unbranded now is great. :lol:

Thanks guys.