Screen sensivity problem solved!!!!

Guest kordi

Guest smilepak
ok.. yes.. OMNIA screen sucks.... plus i added the screen protector.. make it even worst..

Can anyone write a more details step of how to do it ? thanks..

or a .reg file which proven to work ?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH....

Yea, i have to agree. The touch sensitivity of Omnia is worst than Touch Pro (of course none of it is comparable to iphone due to totally different technology)

I have the Zagg screen protector on it as well.

The Omnia I have is verizon version i910, so not sure how different the ROM is comparable to others.

Guest localbus
but dont forget, Iphone guys cant write with there fingers :rolleyes:

only our screens allow for that :)

i try to edit the registry to some suggestion.... the accuracy still not there but it is much much better than b4....

Guest MistaSergio

Notice

I know that our screens and makeups of our phones may end up being slightly different from phone to phone - finger to finger - typing styles - etc. -- so give this a go to see if it works for you - as well as it did for me!

ok - thats out of the way - so after seeing some of the posted results of the calibration test - I decide to take a technical stands on the results that were found but - also what results would be "perfect" in said test. With my phone being pretty stinkin' new - I figure "ideal" results of this test wouldn't be too far off the marker!...

some result I read that were found in the registry:

519,503 177,881 182,129 847,127 849,872

516,512 164,887 165,134 848,131 815,885

when i compared my numbers to these - they were all very close - in between - give or take some -- so --

I rocked the test again - and if my eyes and mind don't trick me - in pairs - the points on all outside points will share a X point - and in pairs of them - we will see the same Y points.

the first point being the middle - and judging by those numbers - compared to my own - the middle point -- remember, ideally:

is 500,500 - being the middle spot of the screen.

the next two I sorted from the two different point on each side of the screen - looking at it sideways:

knowing this - I knew that the points on the bottom end would share a Y position - being the same number - the same applying to the top points.

Also - spliting the screen in two, vertically, the points on the left and right were going to have a common X position

- so - comparing these numbers and trying out a few positions and typing an email - heres what I believe to be the ideal results for this test -- listing it as it would show in the registry:

500,500 165,875 165,125 835,125 835,875

has been working like a dream - even the samsung keyboard is awesome now! Hope this helps some of you out there!

Guest Antonisss

Notice

I know that our screens and makeups of our phones may end up being slightly different from phone to phone - finger to finger - typing styles - etc. -- so give this a go to see if it works for you - as well as it did for me!

ok - thats out of the way - so after seeing some of the posted results of the calibration test - I decide to take a technical stands on the results that were found but - also what results would be "perfect" in said test. With my phone being pretty stinkin' new - I figure "ideal" results of this test wouldn't be too far off the marker!...

when i compared my numbers to these - they were all very close - in between - give or take some -- so --

I rocked the test again - and if my eyes and mind don't trick me - in pairs - the points on all outside points will share a X point - and in pairs of them - we will see the same Y points.

the first point being the middle - and judging by those numbers - compared to my own - the middle point -- remember, ideally:

the next two I sorted from the two different point on each side of the screen - looking at it sideways:

knowing this - I knew that the points on the bottom end would share a Y position - being the same number - the same applying to the top points.

Also - spliting the screen in two, vertically, the points on the left and right were going to have a common X position

- so - comparing these numbers and trying out a few positions and typing an email - heres what I believe to be the ideal results for this test -- listing it as it would show in the registry:

has been working like a dream - even the samsung keyboard is awesome now! Hope this helps some of you out there!

i tested it for a minute, seems to work like a charm, battery is low now, i ll give more feedback when i ve used it some more!thanks for sharing man!!

the thing i didnt understand is if we can align screen like that with editing the .reg why haven't samsung put the aligned .reg and dont make us suffer?

because aligment can change from phone to phone. Of course the fact that a "default alignment" is missing is a really dumb thing.

i tested it for a minute, seems to work like a charm, battery is low now, i ll give more feedback when i ve used it some more!thanks for sharing man!!

yep, it's a more finger-friendly calibration than the others (or so to speak: it's awesome)... but it seems to be less stylus-friendly... but who cares about the stylus anyway :rolleyes:

Guest MistaSergio

ha im glad to help! anyone else give the points a go?

Guest JamesB007
ha im glad to help! anyone else give the points a go?

Sorry, but with your numbers my omnia is totally misaligned.

If it was that simple there would never be an option to align the screen.

Guest yiitcakir

Notice

it didn't work good for me.i got a bad calibration with that.my rom is jvhh2 turkish official rom.i calibrated very carefully. my values are 524,514 188,884 189,146 839,143 839,882 if someone wonders.

Edited by yiitcakir

Guest MistaSergio
Sorry, but with your numbers my omnia is totally misaligned.

If it was that simple there would never be an option to align the screen.

well soorrrrrry for attempting to help!

its working for some of us - and if you would've read the beginning of my post - I try to avoid this need to state "if it was that simple there would never be an option to align the screen" - like Samsung designed the phone with no flaws.

I'm glad its helping some of you out there! its rocking my phone very very well!

Guest kendubya

Notice

These settings have (so far) made a noticeable difference in the accuracy and responsiveness of my i910. Been running on the settings for a few hours. SPB keyboard also works better. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gesumowind
Ok guys,

I've written a similar topic on our local Polish forum and everyone seems to be very fond of my very simple yet very effective solution....

Some of you might have experienced problems with screen accuaracy and sensivity in Omnia. I've seen seen ppl (including myself) complaining that Omnia's screen is very insesitive and inaccurate ... and I have found the culprit :rolleyes: . Most of these problems are due to bad screen calibration. This issue is related to Omnia only and with other devices it does not exist (at least with the ones I've had so far).

Omnia's touch screen is covered with and extra layer that is soupoused to protect the screen. This in turn causes makes that the touch layer is about 1 or 2 mm away from the layer that you actually touch with the stylus. This little fact causes that when you change the angle at which you look at the screen, you shift your perspective and you might tap exactly the same spot but from a different angle it will seems as another spot on the touch layer. In turn, most of us badly calibrated the device and therefore the screen seemed as less sensitive and inaccurate... In order to fix it, you have to calibrate the screen properly... This is very simple when you take all these factors into account. You just have to look at the screen properly from the distance. Here is what you have to do:

1. Put the phone on the table so it is paralel to the ground (just do it)

2. Get your eyes above the screen but from a distance at 30-40 cm (this is very important)

3. Enter screen alignment menu

4. Use some sharp object to calibrate and not the stylus

5. Calibrate

That's it.

You will be suprised how this little trick will get your screen to behave better :) .

Yes indeed it works well thank you to NEBEE !!!!!!!!!!!

My eyes need help ( getting younger by the years ) . So I thought of a big magnifying glass one can buy for a few dollars at Stapels . One sure can see the round little white dot in the X on the alignment screen . As a pointy object a pencil was nicely sharpened

. Don't push to hard . ............ Gesumowind

Edited by gesumowind

Hi,

I tried this and there seemed to be an increase in precision (ie fidelity and repeatability of screen touches) although loss of accuracy (ie offset in relation to where I pressed.

So I dialed the diagnostics code *#0*# and went into the touch screen test. Sure enough, there was a consistent difference between the place where the stylus touched (smaller than finger) and where the screen turned blue or red. This means that your reasoning would be correct if there were no production line misalignments. In other words if all screens are placed on the Omnia 100% in the same position.

Now, this also means that although the "perfectly aligned" theoritical values you provided are correct but generally inapplicable, because the screens are not usually 100"% aligned, it is possible to try to find the screen deviation or rotation to that theorethical position and mannually place the values.

On my omnia, after screen alignment, I find that the 16x,xxx values alot closer that the 8xx,xxx. This should say something about the rotation or skew off the perfect axis and probably allow for coming up with some x,y values closer to the Omnia's true values and not just winmo's standard perfect setting.

Does this make sense to you MistaSergio and others?

And if so, maybe if we all post our "best" manual alignment values, as per the kordi method, perhaps we could extrapolate or find the average value and standard deviation for each of the five points, getting closer to the real omnia values? perhaps this could even be crossed-referenced with ROM or Hardware revision numbers?

What do you think?

btw, I've edited the click and downup values as per this thread

My values are: 515,516 173,889 177,132 858,136 848,881

See larger deviation on the 8xx,xxx... :rolleyes:

Guest JamesB007
well soorrrrrry for attempting to help!

its working for some of us - and if you would've read the beginning of my post - I try to avoid this need to state "if it was that simple there would never be an option to align the screen" - like Samsung designed the phone with no flaws.

I'm glad its helping some of you out there! its rocking my phone very very well!

Don't you be angry now, honey.

I know you want to help and we all appreciate that a lot.

Sorry if that came out wrong. :rolleyes:

Guest zeharom
Ok guys,

I've written a similar topic on our local Polish forum and everyone seems to be very fond of my very simple yet very effective solution....

Some of you might have experienced problems with screen accuaracy and sensivity in Omnia. I've seen seen ppl (including myself) complaining that Omnia's screen is very insesitive and inaccurate ... and I have found the culprit :) . Most of these problems are due to bad screen calibration. This issue is related to Omnia only and with other devices it does not exist (at least with the ones I've had so far).

Omnia's touch screen is covered with and extra layer that is soupoused to protect the screen. This in turn causes makes that the touch layer is about 1 or 2 mm away from the layer that you actually touch with the stylus. This little fact causes that when you change the angle at which you look at the screen, you shift your perspective and you might tap exactly the same spot but from a different angle it will seems as another spot on the touch layer. In turn, most of us badly calibrated the device and therefore the screen seemed as less sensitive and inaccurate... In order to fix it, you have to calibrate the screen properly... This is very simple when you take all these factors into account. You just have to look at the screen properly from the distance. Here is what you have to do:

1. Put the phone on the table so it is paralel to the ground (just do it)

2. Get your eyes above the screen but from a distance at 30-40 cm (this is very important)

3. Enter screen alignment menu

4. Use some sharp object to calibrate and not the stylus

5. Calibrate

That's it.

You will be suprised how this little trick will get your screen to behave better :D .

Hello.

My omnia is bad...see video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJI_KGmPi08

Go service.....

Guest szinski

Hmmm... Looking at my numbers I get 512,512 as the center of the screen. Being a digital device, most values are expressed in powers of 2 (binary). Following that logic, 2^9 = 512 which gives the touch screen max resolution of 2^10 (1024).

I repeatedly calibrated my screen using a 0.3mm mechanical pencil (lead is soft and shouldn't damage the screen) and I consistently got 512,512 as my center point. Using the mechanical pencil technique, I got the following coords for my screen:

512,512 178,878 178,132 845,132 845,878

YMMV

Guest modacian

On the other hand, if you freshly hard reset your Omnia, and before you press the first screen to start the setup wizard with the calibration screen, you will find these values in the registry "used a remote registry editor from a pc":

518,510 168,881 185,138 851,146 853,877

These are the default Samsung values hard-coded in the original rom, so comparing the values different people posted we will find:

Samsung's Default: 518,510 168,881 185,138 851,146 853,877

Web's Favorite: 519,503 177,881 182,129 847,127 849,872

MistaSergio's: 500,500 165,875 165,125 835,125 835,875

szinski's: 512,512 178,878 178,132 845,132 845,878

Pretty strange eih?

Guest dwallersv

Another datapoint that might be helpful to some. Only applies if you've installed Spb PocketPlus.

SPP provided touchscreen scrolling to older devices, like the Treo, when it didn't have it. I loved this feature, especially in PIE when I was on a Treo 750.

When you install SPP on the Omnia, it replaces the native touch driver with its own. The native driver is called "touch.dll", the SPP driver "PocketPlusTouch.dll".

After install, the reg key that points to the touch driver will be modified to the following key/value pair:

HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH\DriverName: "PocketPlusTouch.dll"

and a new key/value pair is created:

HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH\DriverName.bak: "touch.dll"

Guessing that this change was unneccesary on touch devices that already had scrolling functionality, and that the native driver might be better at handling the hardware and scrolling (after all, it was developed and tested extensively specifically for the device it was shipped with, while SPB has to make theirs work with a much wider range of devices, including non-touch-based devices like the Treo), I swapped the two entries and rebooted.

So far, it seems to have improved the overall functioning of the touch system... Scrolling is more responsive and smoother, the changes to UpDown and Click registry keys seems to have more effect, etc. Overall, my conclusion is that this made a noticable -- and meaningful -- difference. Also, I've found no detrimental effect on SPP.

I've attached a zip containing two registry files that can switch this back and forth. Put them on your Omnia, and then click on either to change the registry to that setting, then soft-reset.

NOTE: DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE SPB POCKETPLUS INSTALLED! You do not have the PocketPlusTouch DLL on your machine, and this will likely disable your touch sensing entirely, making it hard to get it back without a hard reset.

ToggleTouch.zip

Edited by dwallersv