T-Mobile Touch HD?

Guest TheNerd

Guest TheNerd

I'm considering moving back to Orange - I originally swapped from Orange because they took ages to bring out the (Wizard), so I got the Vario from T-Mobile. Now I can't wait any longer for the Touch HD (I'm still using the original MDA Vario!!) and T-Mobile are stalling. What's going on? I read rumours it will have the Android software but no other info. Anybody got any words of wisdom as to when I can expect this phone in the shops and what are T-Mobile going to do with it?

Guest psionandy
I'm considering moving back to Orange - I originally swapped from Orange because they took ages to bring out the (Wizard), so I got the Vario from T-Mobile. Now I can't wait any longer for the Touch HD (I'm still using the original MDA Vario!!) and T-Mobile are stalling. What's going on? I read rumours it will have the Android software but no other info. Anybody got any words of wisdom as to when I can expect this phone in the shops and what are T-Mobile going to do with it?

Its not going to come out before they ship the vario IV and that's IF they decide to ship it.... and that won't be until january at the earliest.. Orange have an exclusive deal at the moment so that would have to expire first.

You could buy a sim unlocked one before then, or expansys will bundle it with a wnw tarrif

Its a wm6.1 phone... it may be possible to hack it into android, but it certainly won't be sold that way

Guest TheNerd
Its not going to come out before they ship the vario IV and that's IF they decide to ship it.... and that won't be until january at the earliest.. Orange have an exclusive deal at the moment so that would have to expire first.

You could buy a sim unlocked one before then, or expansys will bundle it with a wnw tarrif

Its a wm6.1 phone... it may be possible to hack it into android, but it certainly won't be sold that way

January! What just happened? Good grief T-Slobile or what.

I actually want it with the Win Mob OS not the Android stuff so I'm happy about that - but what's taking them? Surely not testing etc? Orange exclusive? Pants! Orange would go and screw things up for me. Shame their phone deals are not worth it. Maybe they'll change. T-Mobile are not going to convince me to buy the pathetically delayed Vario IV, and I don't want to wait another month or so for the HD.

Looks like it will have to be a SIM free one. Anybody know a great deal anywhere? (Can I justify spending 500 quid on a phone? B) )

Guest billybear
January! What just happened? Good grief T-Slobile or what.

I actually want it with the Win Mob OS not the Android stuff so I'm happy about that - but what's taking them? Surely not testing etc? Orange exclusive? Pants! Orange would go and screw things up for me. Shame their phone deals are not worth it. Maybe they'll change. T-Mobile are not going to convince me to buy the pathetically delayed Vario IV, and I don't want to wait another month or so for the HD.

Looks like it will have to be a SIM free one. Anybody know a great deal anywhere? (Can I justify spending 500 quid on a phone? B) )

Yep!

Just got my HD on orange today - also upgrading from my Vario 2, after giving up the wait for T-mobile to bring out any decent WinMo - I dont like the toy looking G1 - retention tried hard to persuade me otherwise when I got my PAC code off them yesterday (No waiting for that Tho!)

Guest TheNerd
Just got my HD on orange today
Hah, you'll be wanting to change your avatar from that T-mobile thing then heh?

I popped into my local Orange retail store earlier today and they had the HTC available but I could not believe the rubbish deals on offer - it was not beneficial at all to move to Orange because the monthly tariffs were much more than I pay at T-Mobile (I've been with T-Mobile some time so I get a good discount at the moment). The cheapest tariff (£25/month) still put the phone at £300!

It doesn't save me very much from the retail price and I would end up paying double my monthly tariff. Sod you then Orange! Although the shop assistant was very helpful and informative. He even offered a £50 discount on the phone price but didn't do much more to woo me across to the network. He also told me that Orange have the exclusive rights to the HTC Touch HD for 3 months.

Now I understand a little about the way the networks sell their phones, I will most likely stay with T-Mobile and go and buy a SIM free Touch HD.

Don't quite know how I'll manage the transition from the MDA Vario (1st generation) to something swanky like the Touch HD!

Guest billybear
I will most likely stay with T-Mobile and go and buy a SIM free Touch HD.

It seems whatever phone/contract you get your going to have to pay more than we did for the Vario2 B) eg T-mobile direct have got the G1 for free on a £30+'mandatory' £5 for WnW=£35/mth for 18mths B) (and they say cost of replacement is 'only' £329

My Orange contract was FREE phone on £30/mth (Racoon 30) for 18mths. Total cost for ownership therefore is 18x£30=£540 - which is roughly the same as SIM free prices but I'll get:

500 cross-network mins + 100 texts + Unlimited UK Land Line mins • Magic Numbers • Orange Wednesdays • Orange Gigs and Tours

From buymobilephones.net

Not bad I thought. Unlimited mobile internet has to be bought extra at £7.50 tho. (500mb fair usage).

I think with Orange they will also review the contract every 6mths so if your not using the minutes you can downgrade which would make the HD even cheaper as I dont normally use that amount of minutes.

Guest TheNerd

Thanks for the info billybear.

Is it greed from the phone companies or do they need to recover the massive amounts of money spent on licences? I can get a laptop for far less than the latest phone!

Guest billybear
do they need to recover the massive amounts of money spent on licences?

Talking of which!

B) Orange/HTC don't even give you a copy of Outlook anymore - only a 60 day trial B)

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Remember I think you can negotiate a discount with T-Mo if you are taking your own handset there. So if you upgrade yourself with a Sim Free phone, then get them to discount your current tariff, as you are no longer subsidising a handset.

Cannot justify spending £540 on a phone but I did anyway B)

The only thing I can note is that I purchased last month a 50 inch Philips Plasma screen for £750 how much does that work out at per square inch!!

Kaaeed

Guest Mr Alom

I wrote to T-Mobile last week regarding this device as I will be upgrading in March 2009 and I'm totally in love with this phone, here is their reply.....

Thanks for your email Mr Alom, asking me to confirm if we're going to release HTC Touch HD device. I'll surely advise you.

Mr Alom, I'm sorry to tell you that the particular model you're after isn't currently available in our range of phones. And I can't tell you right now, if it'll be released by us in the future.

We're constantly expanding our range of phones, so please visit our website to keep up to date with all the new models. We've got some great deals on offer at the moment that you might be interested in. You can view all of our current phones by clicking HYPERLINK "http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phones/phones/"here.

Looks like I might be waiting for nothing!! B)

Guest MikeWard1701

I'm after the Touch HD on T-Mobile as well!

But given the speed at which they release the HTCs (rebranded as their MDAs in gawdy hardware and interface colours) It's looking like I'll have to pair the two myself.

So far the best deal I've found is HTC Touch HD + T-Mobile Combi 30 + Web N Walk (18 month) for £126.99 at eXpansys, who appear to be the only ones offering the HD with T-Mo contracts. Only problem is they're a bit on the expensive side.

On the plus side though there are several advantages to going this route;

1) You get a 'proper' HTC device.

2) HTC ROMs and more frequent updates/fixes.

3) Already unlocked, saves time and possibly money when you want to; travel abroad, use another network for some reason (Orange Wednesdays for example), sell on.

4) Higher returns when you sell.

Hope this helps.

PS: If anyone knows of another retailer selling the Touch HD with T-Mobile contracts, speak up! B)

Edited by MikeWard1701

Guest Neil5459
Talking of which!

B) Orange/HTC don't even give you a copy of Outlook anymore - only a 60 day trial B)

That is a Microsoft decision- MS have stopped supporting Outlook 2002, which was the version provided free with older devices. All versions of Activesync from 4.5 onwards have ceased to support OL 2002, with OL 2003 now the minimum (except if you already have a version of ActiveSync running with OL 2002, in which case it may continue working when you upgrade); WM6 and WM6.1 won't work with versions of A/S older than 4.5; therefore you need OL 2003 or above, and MS just will not foot the bill for that.

Very odd, that WM devices are being sold as personal information managers, but you now have to pay extra to enable that to work with a PC B)

Orange's 3 month exclusive started at the beginning of November, so other operators may well be able to release devices in early January, though O2 will not be releasing it (too much competition for Apple? B) ) PC Pro this month have given the HD a 5 star, A-List rating in a 13 device group review, and state categorically that it is significantly better than the iPhone !

Guest TheNerd

I couldn't wait any longer!

I purchased an "as new" Orange Touch HD from Ebay and SIM unlocked it. The HSDPA works fine (very well actually) and the whole device is just beautiful. I'm still on my T-Mobile contract with a very low rate and I'm very happy. The Touch HD will continue to fall in price so it will begin to make sense for others who are thinking of taking this route, but I for one am delighted with my purchase.

The worries for me were the SIM unlock business (I used HTCCODE.COM which accepts PayPal) and the HSDPA connection (which turned out to work immediately). With those issues sorted, now I'm busy sorting out what is the best software to ply the device with.

It certainly has the WOW factor down the pub, and I've only been asked "Is that an iPhone?" about ten times. :( I find many niggling pains about Windows Mobile have been sorted out (such as if there is a WiFi connection available all Internet programs will use the WiFi connection rather than the GSM), etc...

What else can I say? I wish T-Mobile had brought out the device, rather than tried to peddle that awful looking toy G1 thing, but I doubt I would have been able to save any money as it would probably only be available on some rediculous £50/month contract anyway.

Most annoying thing about the phone: That pesky screen protector. I thought I'd be clever and pre-order some spares (which turned out to be flimsy useless ones which were impossible to apply without getting air bubbles). The one that comes with the phone is good quality but I managed to introduce a hair and a miniature biscuit crumb ?? :rolleyes: underneath it somehow and it spoils the perfection of the phone! The best looking replacement appears to be the 'Vikuiti display protection ARMR200 from 3M' however at around 7 pounds a pop I would need to make sure my bubble free applying technique and dust free environment maintainance skills were honed to their very best.

Regards,

TheNerd

PS... Kaaeed, working from your quoted figures, you are paying £15/inch for the Plasma TV and £142/inch for the HTC Touch HD :)

Cannot justify spending £540 on a phone but I did anyway :(

The only thing I can note is that I purchased last month a 50 inch Philips Plasma screen for £750 how much does that work out at per square inch!!

Kaaeed

Guest billybear
Most annoying thing about the phone: That pesky screen protector. I thought I'd be clever and pre-order some spares (which turned out to be flimsy useless ones which were impossible to apply without getting air bubbles). The one that comes with the phone is good quality but I managed to introduce a hair and a miniature biscuit crumb ?? :rolleyes: underneath it somehow and it spoils the perfection of the phone! The best looking replacement appears to be the 'Vikuiti display protection ARMR200 from 3M' however at around 7 pounds a pop I would need to make sure my bubble free applying technique and dust free environment maintainance skills were honed to their very best.

Congrats on your HD!

I've just ordered a Martin Fields protector to replace the supplied one as this does'nt sit exactly flat - the hole punching must have been done with a blunt tool which created slight burrs which stop it sitting flat and the botton edge is not quite right either :)

I've used Martin Fields before for my VarioII - you could not tell it was fitted.

If you get dust etc under a protector use 3M Scotch Magic tape to lift it from the device, then some more to lift the dirt from the protector. If its particularily bad you can remove it completely and stick Magic tape over the entire 'sticky' side and then remove and all the dust will go with it. If the 'Glue' is marked it probably means a new protector.

Dont know if its the cheapest but got mine from MobileFun.co.uk as this weekend got a free delivery discount code MFDECFD (not sure if this is unique to me?). The picture is misleading - I hope, as the Martin Fields website shows a full protector with cutouts and one for the camera. Theres also some installation and cleaning video's I just noticed.

Edited by billybear

Guest MikeWard1701

Well I couldn't wait any longer and took the plunge...

Just ordered my Touch HD on T-Mobile Combi 30 + Web N Walk. 700 xnet minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited (1GB fair usage) data, £35 a month for 18 months.

Handset price was higher than I was hoping to pay, but with eXpansys currently the only place offering the HD on T-Mobile I didn't have much choice.

Big thanks to Paul :rolleyes: for the £10 Off promo hes got going with them. Brought the total down to £124.99 including shipping, and as a certain supermarket is fond of saying, 'every little helps' :)

Now need to find loads of good apps n games to fill it with :(

Guest TheNerd
Congrats on your HD!
Cheers. I just love it! :) :( :rolleyes:

And many thanks indeed for the screen protector links and info. It does look a little easier on a device which doesn't have any punch holes to line up.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest saintalan
I couldn't wait any longer!...

...The worries for me were the SIM unlock business (I used HTCCODE.COM which accepts PayPal) and the HSDPA connection (which turned out to work immediately). With those issues sorted, now I'm busy sorting out what is the best software to ply the device with...

Hi, hope you are enjoying your Touch HD.

I am thinking of going the same route (eBay/Orange Locked) and was just after some re-assurance of the Unlock process.

Cheers

Alan

Guest TheNerd
Hi, hope you are enjoying your Touch HD.

I am thinking of going the same route (eBay/Orange Locked) and was just after some re-assurance of the Unlock process.

Cheers

Alan

Works like a dream. The HTC Settings Wizard then picks up all the necessary configuration in a matter of seconds and you are good to go.

Anyone had any further news on a possible (if at all) release date for this on T-Mobile. Figured it might be worth asking again what with the Touch Pro being available via upgrades now on T-Mob.

Guest Mr Alom

"Touch Pro" available on T-mobile!!... :) ...I think you mean Touch Diamond as MDA Compact IV? I've just been on their website and I can't see that phone released.

Anyone had any further news on a possible (if at all) release date for this on T-Mobile. Figured it might be worth asking again what with the Touch Pro being available via upgrades now on T-Mob.

Guest MikeWard1701
"Touch Pro" available on T-mobile!!... :) ...I think you mean Touch Diamond as MDA Compact IV? I've just been on their website and I can't see that phone released.

Nope, The Touch Pro, or rather the MDA Vario IV is now available via phone upgrade from T-Mobile. See this Engadget Mobile article for more info and a link to the User Manual.

Though as I commented on the article, I think its too little too late. What took them so long?

Guest MikeWard1701

Unlimited Texts on T-Mobile Combi30+Web'n'Walk

As mentioned earlier in the thread I got the HD on T-Mobile's Combi30+W'n'W through eXpansys. Which includes; 700 cross-network minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data (1gb fair usage).

I saw "Unlimited Texts" I thought to myself that sounds good, but like most 'unlimited' products these days (data, broadband etc.) it's usually a finite number, much smaller and far from what the dictionary definition would suggest.

So was awaiting my first bill to see that T-Mobile considered 'unlimited'. I was thinking it would be an allowance of a few thousand, 10,000 max, far more than I'm ever likely to use.

I nearly faitned when I read the bill.

post-211903-1232146182_thumb.png post-211903-1232146205_thumb.jpg

4,516,120! :)

Four million, five hundred sixteen thousand, one hundred twenty!

Not unlimited, but it might as well be!

How the hell am I ever supposed to even approach sending that many texts!? In a 31 day month I'd need to send over 6,070 texts an hour!

What did bring a huge smile to my face though was working out how much the allowance is worth. At 12p a text, it's a total of £541,934.40!

Half a million pounds of allowance! for £35 a month!

I don't know about other tariffs, but this is probaby one of the best value for money ones I've ever encountered!

PS: I'm open to suggestions on how I can send 4,516,120 texts a month :D :)

Guest 10tengu10
Unlimited Texts on T-Mobile Combi30+Web'n'Walk

As mentioned earlier in the thread I got the HD on T-Mobile's Combi30+W'n'W through eXpansys. Which includes; 700 cross-network minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data (1gb fair usage).

I saw "Unlimited Texts" I thought to myself that sounds good, but like most 'unlimited' products these days (data, broadband etc.) it's usually a finite number, much smaller and far from what the dictionary definition would suggest.

So was awaiting my first bill to see that T-Mobile considered 'unlimited'. I was thinking it would be an allowance of a few thousand, 10,000 max, far more than I'm ever likely to use.

I nearly faitned when I read the bill.

post-211903-1232146182_thumb.png post-211903-1232146205_thumb.jpg

4,516,120! :)

Four million, five hundred sixteen thousand, one hundred twenty!

Not unlimited, but it might as well be!

How the hell am I ever supposed to even approach sending that many texts!? In a 31 day month I'd need to send over 6,070 texts an hour!

What did bring a huge smile to my face though was working out how much the allowance is worth. At 12p a text, it's a total of £541,934.40!

Half a million pounds of allowance! for £35 a month!

I don't know about other tariffs, but this is probaby one of the best value for money ones I've ever encountered!

PS: I'm open to suggestions on how I can send 4,516,120 texts a month :D :)

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01112009/news/...niac_149614.htm

This 13 year-old made a good attempt but not even close to the magic "4 million"!! ;)