[FIXED 12-5-08!!]Tethering on the I910 Verizon Omnia?

Guest somedude

Guest somedude

Verizon is really making me upset.

First they disable the gps, and now i find out you cant tether the phone with your pc.

I know tethering is possible, but i heard they want to charge you to do this...

I cant believe verizon is this greedy. This makes me want to take the phone back!

Is there a way to hack this so we can tether? If i cant get the gps or tethering to work before the end of this month, im taking the phone back.

Update: PROBLEM SOLVED!

DOWNLOAD THE NECESSARY FILES FROM HERE: http://www.interlocknw.com/OmniaWMWifiICS.zip

If you want to tether via usb only, install ICSinstall.cab, open the program, connect the omnia via usb to your pc, and click connect. Thats it!

Below are the instructions if you want to tether via wifi.

Here is what I did to get the Omnia I910 to work.

Use the files I have attached.

1. Download/Install the attached "ICSInstall.CAB" file.

(You may not need to do 2 - 6 but this is how I got it to work.)

2. Restart your phone.

3. Test the install by Connecting the USB cable to your computer.

4. Then run "IntShrUI" from the Programs Menu and select "Connect".

5. If done correctly the program should display "Connected".

6. Now select "Disconnect" and disconnect the USB cable.

7. Download/Install the attached "WMWifiRouter91.CAB" file.

8. Restart your phone.

9. Turn on Wifi.

10. Run WMWifiRouter from the Programs Menu.

11. Select "Connect"

12. If done correctly the program should display "Connected to WMWifiRouter Ready".

13. From your computer search for the "WMWifiRouter" wireless connection.

14. Now have fun surfing the web from anywhere.

*You may need to restart your phone and repeat steps 10 - 14 a few times to get it to work.

Edited by somedude

Not sure how they will charge you but all you have to do to tether the VZ Omnia is go to settings and select the modem option. Dial #777 no name or pass required at least when I tested it out. Also you could go with PDaNet

post-21802-1228241060_thumb.png

Guest somedude
If it's completely missing, give the attached CAB a blast (may need a soft-reset after install)... should add an Internet Sharing icon to your Programs menu!

P

Thanks so much for this.

But, even after i install and restart the phone, i cannot find the icon anywhere. B)

Guest somedude
Not sure how they will charge you but all you have to do to tether the VZ Omnia is go to settings and select the modem option. Dial #777 no name or pass required at least when I tested it out. Also you could go with PDaNet

post-21802-1228241060_thumb.png

ill give this a try, but i was reading on some forums that you have to pay a monthly fee in order to use this feature.

Guest somedude
I just updated the CAB, try again! B)

P

Thanks, i see it now. I give it a test on the train after work today.

Now all we need is the gps to work and everything will be fine!

Guest somedude
Does it run OK and let you hit Connect?

P

uh-oh. I am getting a error message:

"Cannot connect for an unknown reason. To change your connection settings, tap settings."

I know i have internet access because i am using opera browser right now.

Guest smilepak

Do this...

Once you install the ICS cab, go and download / install WMWIFI. Version 0.91 is free for personal use or get the latest trial version to test it out.

Once both is install, do a soft reboot / reset.

Turn WIFI on, when ready, launch the WMWIFI in your program menu. That will auto launch the ICS and connect.

I did it on the Verizon Touch Pro recently and worked great.

Guest somedude
Do this...

Once you install the ICS cab, go and download / install WMWIFI. Version 0.91 is free for personal use or get the latest trial version to test it out.

Once both is install, do a soft reboot / reset.

Turn WIFI on, when ready, launch the WMWIFI in your program menu. That will auto launch the ICS and connect.

I did it on the Verizon Touch Pro recently and worked great.

So Im guessing this is how you can share a WIFI connection with your pc?

Or will this work with the mobile broadband as well?

I need this to work with mobile broadband so i can tether my laptop to my phone while on the train.

Guest hatchback19

somedude; It allows you to share the data connection via WiFi, Cellular, USB or Bluetooth. It's a very robust program.

I nearly have that working, I can connect to the Omnia i910 and the phone shows a data connection via Cellular Data. However the IP address that my PC is receiving is something oddball like 162.213.etc, nothing like the 192.168.3.x I believe it's set up to be. I have DHCP enabled, as it is by default in WMWiFi, any tips on how I could resolve this issue. Although Verizon may not appreciate it, us i910 certainly do appreciate all the help! Thanks,

Matt

That may be a valid IP. What is your gateway? (i.e. ipconfig)

Do you have a proxy set up?

I used wmwifirouter 1.25 and it works well. I occasionally have to reconnect a few times, but after a few tries I get a valid connection. This may be an AT&T thing.

I have only tried going through USB and WIFI, I have not tried bluetooth.

Guest hatchback19

No, It's not a valid IP as it's setup for a 192.168.3.X, that's what I have selected. I used the latest version from WmWifi, not sure exact number. That's the IP you receive whenever windows has a problem, or somewhere along those lines. I'm going to attempt to set it up with a static IP and see how that goes but I believe we're on the right track.

Guest hatchback19

No luck on my end yet. I can use WMWiFiRouter to set up a wifi network, and my PC can connect to my mobile phone/network and I can also ping it and see the activity on the phone however I cannot access the internet. It's like the WiFi isn't communicating with the Dial up broadband. Any suggestions of resolving this, I've got a lot of time into this but this is as far as I've gotten. Thanks,

Matt

I've not tried on a Omnia yet, but on my xv6900 once you get ICS enabled you need to also set this registry key that sends the signal to VZW that lets them know you're tethered:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\WModem]

"Multi-NAI"=dword:00000000

Guest somedude
I've not tried on a Omnia yet, but on my xv6900 once you get ICS enabled you need to also set this registry key that sends the signal to VZW that lets them know you're tethered:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\WModem]

"Multi-NAI"=dword:00000000

by 'ICS enabled' do you mean changing a registry value?

Guest smilepak

Seems to heck more difficult on the Omnia for Verizon. I was able to get the Touch Pro easily working on Verizon using the same WMWIFI and ICS cabs...

Wierd.