Australia PAYG recommendation

Guest Dr Who

Going to Australia shortly and taking my recently SIM unlocked Vario II. Want to pick up a PAYG SIM while I am out there to make calls within Australia and would like to have data too. Can anyone recommend a network to go to (one in Sydney airport would be ideal!) and even better link to a .cab to install the network settings?

Going to Australia shortly and taking my recently SIM unlocked Vario II. Want to pick up a PAYG SIM while I am out there to make calls within Australia and would like to have data too. Can anyone recommend a network to go to (one in Sydney airport would be ideal!) and even better link to a .cab to install the network settings?

When I went to australia last year I bought a Telstra sim card. They are the main phone company in Australia. I bought my sim on Ebay before going. Not sure about data as I sed wifi.

Thanks kjt.

Found out today that 3 have a partner network in Australia, which apparently means my mobile broadband will come from my inclusive allowance if connected via that network. Trouble is, do I trust them? I will phone them but I fear for the chances of getting an answer that sounds convincing!

Guest Mysterious Stranger
Thanks kjt.

Found out today that 3 have a partner network in Australia, which apparently means my mobile broadband will come from my inclusive allowance if connected via that network. Trouble is, do I trust them? I will phone them but I fear for the chances of getting an answer that sounds convincing!

It's not a network partner as such, it is owned by Hutchinson Whampoa directly.

http://www.hutchison-whampoa.com/eng/telec...l_footprint.htm

I've used 3's networks in the EU for data roaming and it comes out of the bundle but reg stories say Oz isn't included if you're pre-pay :-(

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/24/3_roaming_limited/

However a quick search of their site reveals they've sorted it out. So there you go.

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/help_suppo...s.omp?cid=31302

M.S

EDIT - make darned sure it roams onto 3 and not Telstra et al!

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Guest jchamier

If you're outside the big cities, watch coverage - you may find Telstra (or Optus) are the only options, as 3 (and Voda I think) are a lot newer.

I've used 3's networks in the EU for data roaming and it comes out of the bundle but reg stories say Oz isn't included if you're pre-pay :-(

EDIT - make darned sure it roams onto 3 and not Telstra et al!

Thanks Stranger, very useful. In the UK the dongle does not roam but I am wondering what will happen in Australia? Can't remember whether there is the option to select network in the mobile broadband 'dialer'.

If you're outside the big cities, watch coverage - you may find Telstra (or Optus) are the only options, as 3 (and Voda I think) are a lot newer.

I had a look at Telstra and Optus. The Optus website is foul and makes no sense to me - its weird that there seems to be a cultural element to website design, I always notice when I end up at a US website - so I will try and find the cab installer for the Telstra settings.