People are getting bored with the Omnia already

Guest samjuan

Guest samjuan

It's like a movie, that is well advertised, but when you go and watch it, you feel a bit disappointed!

I don't want to start a flame war here or an emotional conflict, but we have to get real, very bad samsung/dealer after sales support, people are longing to upgrade their phones "ALL THE TIME", all these many zero-replied / unanswered topics! these are just to mention a few... are indicators of how popular this gadget is after only a couple of months of its release! very sad how companies cannot keep up with very nice products like this.

Guest bobobird
all these many zero-replied / unanswered topics!

Look at their post counts... I do get very tired answering the same questions over and over and over....

When we first joined up, we were hardly like that. We searched, studied everything written, played around with the Roms, etc. Definitely not like now...

Edited by bobobird

Guest Devin C

Not sure what you are implying. Keep in mind that these forums are not representative of the customer base at large. Most Omnia users will never touch this forum or any other well known forum. They are not techies and will probably just use the Omnia Widget screen or Today 1 or 2 screens and never go past the Main Menu page and you know what? That's perfectly fine! You can have a very nice, usable phone experience limiting yourself to the Widget Screen and the Main Menu and never going beyond that.

People on these forums are tweakers and techies. They like to fiddle and once they have fiddled out a phone they move onto the next newest best thing.

The Omnia, from what I have seen and read, is selling very well and will likely be extremely popular 6 months from now. It won't be any iphone or Blackberry Storm but it will be one of the most popular WM phones for sure.

Devin

Guest samjuan
Not sure what you are implying.

What I am implying is that this is a very nice device, however poorly supported and maintained by Samsung.

I have never had a phone where when I have a problem from day one, I have to send it to the service center for four times, and each time the phone has to stay in there for almost a week, and the last time it is there (with Samsung the last time not the local support vendor) I was promised a new unit "in writing", and then after almost more than a month, I still get nothing but "we are working on it".

Keep in mind I am in Dubai, it is a small city "relatively" and Samsung presence here is strong as well as close by!

The other thing is, people do not come to the forums just to "tweak" or "hack" their phones, they come here "seeking" answers to their questions.

I, for example, had many questions that where not answered, mostly asking about "how to" stuff that was not available in "google" or even Modaco. and sometimes asking for a simple Samsung contact information to complain about the service here.

I had 3 friends who bought the Omnia, today was the last one who through it away "none could sell it by the way", and got himself something else, not because the phone was faulty or anything, but because of the quality of the local support. now I am the last one left and I always encourage people who want a pocket pc or a smart phone, to stay away as much as possible from the Omnia, unless they want something to fill their time with playing and "upgrading!!!"

I'm of the opinion that those who look for a complete 'out of the box' phone will be pretty disappointed, as I would be if I had left my phone untouched. 2 people I know of have got quite bored with the phone, even complaining about the lack of 'features' (Pretty sure they meant programs) on the Omnia, not bothering to get any extra content for it other than adding their own music.

I think those who put in the effort to add other applications, look up what is out there for the device, install custom firmwares etc. are the ones who get the most from the Omnia and make it more than just a new toy to play with.

Also thanks to those who actually make all the programs/sort out the ROMs!

Guest peterk2005
I had 3 friends who bought the Omnia, today was the last one who through it away "none could sell it by the way", and got himself something else, not because the phone was faulty or anything, but because of the quality of the local support.

Just out of curiosity: What device did your friends buy for replacing Omnia?

Guest Ingvarr

Honestly, arent you tired of starting such threads already?

I understand you are dissatisfied with your phone, but complaining about it on the forums will solve nothing, except creating just another needless arguing. If this phone is not good for you, sell it, and buy a better one. Simple.

Personally for me Omnia serves its purpose of all-day multifunction device. Currently I see no really better alternatives, so I plan to wait for at least the second wave of Android devices to arrive.

Edited by Ingvarr

I agree with nollie. I hated this phone at first. Samsung's widgets are useless for me because they are too big or they don't have a lot of features. But I kept my phone and started to install a few apps that replaced some of the features I was missing. Then i started to try other roms and now i'm happy with my phone. I use manila because i'm used to symbian phones and this is the closest i can get and i installed some apps that make this phone finger friendly.

Our customer service is really bad but i had my unit in only once becauuse i wanted to update my rom. It's faster if i do it myself so i really don't have any bad experiences with it.

I'm sorry if you don't like your phone samjuan but it is true that this (or any other phone) isn't a phone that is ment for everyone. Some people like smartphones, some like winmo, and some just ordinary phones so you'll just have to search for your perfect phone.

P.S.: I'm not getting bored with my phone because i have to many apps to try out. :rolleyes:

Edited by bpivk

Guest tibor28

Bored?! With windows mobile?!! No way. Ive had the omnia for 4 days, I play with it from morning to evening and I still didnt explore even half of its default features! With WM there are always problems and bugs to solve and fiddle with, thats what I love about WM. Iphone for example, is too perfect and therefore boring for me :rolleyes: I dont understand why people complain about WM. Omnia is my first WM device and I love having windows in my pocket. Its like a small PC with unlimited possibilities, you just need the right apps.

Edited by tibor28

Guest samjuan
Just out of curiosity: What device did your friends buy for replacing Omnia?

One got an iPhone "obviously"

another got the G1 black

the other went for the storm!!!

All are beautiful by the way, not that I wanna let go, however I am on the verge of doing so!

Guest Ingvarr

Well do it already

Since you perceive phone as more as "toy" than a "tool", its clearly that you bored with your current one already and its time to change.

Better sell it now before it drops in price too much.

Guest samjuan

Bro, I tried to make the topic title clear enough so anyone who doesn't want to read or doesn't care, should be bothered!

But obviously... this triggered something in you! :rolleyes:

Guest samjuan

you see my point, no body reads the posts really carefully! that what I mean...

I didn't mention that I hate the phone, I am an old windows mobile user "since the first O2 was released with windows 2003, 2005, 6.0 and now 6.1!"

but what can you say, people tend to attack more than trying to understand...

I remember forums like esato, etenusers and many others... but I've never seen people so prone and ready to flame wars and so defensive like here!!!

Try to understand people, this is what I mean by zero replies, no body cares to help the community more than tweaking and upgrading!!! "except for a few heros that we all know here... all thanks to them."

Edited by samjuan

Guest Ingvarr

When you do a post like "no offence, but I think your phone is crappy, but its only my opinion, so don't bother"

Do you really think you make you post less inflammatory just by stating "its not inflammatory" after actual controversial content?

I repeat, what is the purpose of this? To help you make a decision wheither Omnia really is "good" or "bad" because you can not decide yourself and want people to back you?

Guest krelvinaz
What I am implying is that this is a very nice device, however poorly supported and maintained by Samsung.

I have never had a phone where when I have a problem from day one, I have to send it to the service center for four times, and each time the phone has to stay in there for almost a week, and the last time it is there (with Samsung the last time not the local support vendor) I was promised a new unit "in writing", and then after almost more than a month, I still get nothing but "we are working on it".

Most people would not be getting support directly from Samsung, but rather from their phone carrier. Perhaps the issue is more of lack of phone carrier support?

Here, if there were a problem with my phone, I would simply go to the Verizon store and get it replaced or at worst contact them via phone and a replacement would be shipped so that I could then send back the defective unit. This would be true at least though the warranty period. There simply is no 1 week to 1 month wait for anything via the carrier (except the GPS fix perhaps...)

Many of the issues that I see posted are more WM6 issues rather than specific Omnia issues. The same issues are found on many of the other WM6 device forums as well.

Are there issues, sure... GPS being locked (most likely not your problem)... but not enough to complain about the phone.

I'd say that 70% of the people I know don't mess with their phones at all, just leave them as they are when they get them. Don't have the time nor the knowledge to do anything more.

Also anyone that is talking about flashing the ROM would not represent the majority of people who bought the phone. That is certainly not a typical user of the phone, any phone.

Bored? What exactly are you expecting the phone to do? It is after all... a Phone.

I've now had my phone about 25 days... Love it. Much more capable than my previous WM6 device the i760.

Guest junliang86
Most people would not be getting support directly from Samsung, but rather from their phone carrier. Perhaps the issue is more of lack of phone carrier support?

Here, if there were a problem with my phone, I would simply go to the Verizon store and get it replaced or at worst contact them via phone and a replacement would be shipped so that I could then send back the defective unit. This would be true at least though the warranty period. There simply is no 1 week to 1 month wait for anything via the carrier (except the GPS fix perhaps...)

Many of the issues that I see posted are more WM6 issues rather than specific Omnia issues. The same issues are found on many of the other WM6 device forums as well.

Are there issues, sure... GPS being locked (most likely not your problem)... but not enough to complain about the phone.

I'd say that 70% of the people I know don't mess with their phones at all, just leave them as they are when they get them. Don't have the time nor the knowledge to do anything more.

Also anyone that is talking about flashing the ROM would not represent the majority of people who bought the phone. That is certainly not a typical user of the phone, any phone.

Bored? What exactly are you expecting the phone to do? It is after all... a Phone.

I've now had my phone about 25 days... Love it. Much more capable than my previous WM6 device the i760.

Krelvinaz, couldnt agree more with your :Bored? What exactly are you expecting the phone to do? It is after all... a Phone.". On the other hand i could sympathize with samjuan as bad customer service can really dampen your enthusiasm for a new phone. I had a similar experience with o2 previous before they were became mwg and i stayed away from winmo for a while after that. But to be fair, i would think the omnia is one of the best winmos yet and a clear indication of where samsung is headed.

Guest psionandy

I understand you are dissatisfied with your phone, but complaining about it on the forums will solve nothing, except creating just another needless arguing. If this phone is not good for you, sell it, and buy a better one. Simple.

Personally for me Omnia serves its purpose of all-day multifunction device. Currently I see no really better alternatives, so I plan to wait for at least the second wave of Android devices to arrive.

He just likes to whinge.... some people will never be happy unless he has something to complain about.

Guest Ingvarr

Well for me the whole "bored of your phone" expression is strange.

As I said, you can not be "bored" of a tool. You can be bored of a toy. Maybe this is the real origin of such posts.

Edited by Ingvarr

Well I for one can be bored with a phone but I just flash it and try to do something else to it. :)

I only had one case when i was really fed up with my phone... When my P910i and garmin sent me to the other side of London when I was searching for a hostel. The first thing i did was to sell it and buy my Omnia (all the commercials in london really helped me choose my new phone). :rolleyes:

So it can be a tool and a toy but a statment about people that are bored with their phones is really.... umm.... odd since you're the only one and this is your second similar post if i'm not mistaken.

Guest meabigbaldguy

I, for one, enjoy my Omnia... having switched from a BlackBerry. Sure... right out of the box, I thought it was the least attractive as far as the appearance of the stock s/w and accessibility, though the features were there. Then I went right to work on it and now have it setup right to where I want it to be. Sure... I have to soft reset once in a while for lockups... but then again - it's WM. I expect this sort of behavior especially from a Windows product.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Samjuan. A month ago, I read another thread also started by you about this same subject... your phone problems. Honestly, my observation is that the root of your problem - as well as that of your friends - has a lot to do with your location because most Samsung Service Centers are merely licensed second or third party providers. I've read some other horror stories on this forum about service in some parts of the UK.

About the phone problems... I'm of the opinion that if one tweaks, and tweaks, and tweaks... and tweaks... things just aren't going to be the same anymore. The same goes for a lot of software that's floating out there... a lot of it ends of just being crap for the PDA. Right out of the box, I seriously doubt it would have been so problematic, but I'm in no way impying that the afforementioned has any relevance to your situation.

This is obviously causing you a lot of stress. Bad enough so that you have had to complain twice now in a public forum. Perhaps you should just leave her and move on!

Well for me the whole "bored of your phone" expression is strange.

As I said, you can not be "bored" of a tool. You can be bored of a toy. Maybe this is the real origin of such posts.

Have to agree with that. I dont "play" with my Omnia in the way you would a toy so I'm not bored with it. However if you examine its capabilities closely and see what it packs out of the box - Opera, RSS and Podcast readers, FM Radio, 2 photo albums, world clock, camera, card reader, unit converter, MSN messenger, streaming player, I find it hard that anyone can get bored with this phone when there are seemingly so many things included in the box to while away your time with!

There is one other thing missing but Samsung cant be faulted for this - the lack of support from developers. It seems all developer are either falling over themselves to release apps for the iphone or the ones actually releasing apps for WM devices focus solely on HTC devices completely ignoring the Omnia despite having practivally the same feature set - ie full touch screen with accelerometer. None of the commercial games made to work with the Diamond accelerometer are available for the Omnia and that is down to the devs. After all the time that this phone has been available only enthusiast's from Xda and here have been developing games or appls that take advantage of the Omnia and that is a very sad state of affairs. If the big boys took notice I think they would enjoy some healthy sales from Omnia owners.

Samsung themselves though could do a better job of releasing compatible games, at the very least if no one else is willing they can make some money from these sales.

Edited by efjay

Samjuan,

Do yourself and us a favor and get an I-phone. Like that we don't have to read such useless posts. Thanks and enjoy that I-phone that always locks up as well.

Guest Akshay_LP

No point of this thread really, but maybe what he's implying is that the forums aren't even as active as the device-specific forums @ xda. Things were really hot here in the beginning but now the activity is mellowing down. There aren't too many active users here as compared to other forums and that's probably because more than 60-70% of the Omnia users won't even visit here, and even if they do, they probably won't participate since its a little off for them.

Also, Omnia after a while gets WinMo specific, i.e you try all the apps that are there for WinMo, you don't need a device specific forum such as this for it.

Please try limiting your whining to more reasonable and productive posts rather.

Edited by Akshay_LP