[FIXED] How to increase the Volume of the VERIZON Omnia

Guest ciscokidinsf

Guest ciscokidinsf

OK, So it has been Verified (thanks to BitterBastard at the samsumg-omnia.org site) but, as always, do this at your OWN RISK!

Also, once again a reminder, you CANNOT use the dialpad codes on the Verizon Omnia as the rest of the world is able to do easily.

This method is a bit long but it works:

Here are the steps:

1. Launch an mp3 player (tested with S2P and the Omnia's media player)

2. Launch SoundTester.exe

3. Minimize SoundTester, launch your registry editor

4. Using the task switcher, switch back to SoundTester

5. Play with the SoundTester Normal->Headset settings until you like the sound. You may need to restart a song each time you change the settings in order to hear the difference (I did). For what it's worth, the only setting I could actually increase was the values of the last value, I forget the title of it (R-something). That did, however, increased the volume.

6. Without closing SoundTester, switch over to your registry editor and look at HKLM\SAMSUNG\AUDIO. You should see a HEADSETNORMAL key. Look in there and you will find some DWORD entries (a bunch of numbers and letters). To add more detail, the only value that changes in the registry values at HKLM\SAMSUNG\AUDIO - HEADSETNORMAL is the 3rd value (0x12) and the rest of the values remain unchanged. I also changed the HANDSETNORMAL values.

7. These are the entries you should record (write down in paper). Write all if you want to be extra careful.

8. Close SoundTester (It will remove these entries, phone goes back to low volume)

9. Open your reg editor HKLM\SAMSUNG\AUDIO - HEADSETNORMAL and HANDSETNORMAL and change the 3rd value (0x12) to the value you wrote down.

10. Wait 20 seconds, do a soft-reset and test. The sound should've increased.

In soundtester.exe, I changed my values from -12db to -6db. Less than that, I didn't notice any difference. You may wish to go higher but be careful or you will damage your phone.

Let me know if this works for you. And say *thanks* :rolleyes: to Verizon for making this Volume change 20 times more difficult than it should be.

Guest coolarchon

Thank you very much for this fix. But does anyone know of any way to increase the volume for a bluetooth handsfree headset? The volume is so low that I cannot hear the person on the other end when I am driving. I've been looking and waiting for a fix for a while now and I'd appreciate any help at all. Thanks again!

Guest dopeness

Geez that is a lot of work... I'm not that sophisticated to attempt this yet. HOWEVER, does anyone have the magic trick that will make the ring tone for incoming calls louder from the initial ring and not esclate? That is driving me crazy. If it has been posted already forgive me I have just not found it yet. Thanks.

Guest ciscokidinsf
Thank you very much for this fix. But does anyone know of any way to increase the volume for a bluetooth handsfree headset? The volume is so low that I cannot hear the person on the other end when I am driving. I've been looking and waiting for a fix for a while now and I'd appreciate any help at all. Thanks again!

My headset volume (Both Bluetooth and headphone) is higher as well with this hack. However, still not as loud as I'd like.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chewwbutta

Hello, i'm new to the smart phone and I am trying to turn up the ring tones on my omnia. I have been reading the posts and was wondering what the registry is and how I go about navigating through it. I got it from verizon and any help that I could get with this would be awesome. and perhaps a little explanation, that would also be great.

Thanks!

Where do I find SoundTester.exe?

Thanks

OK, So it has been Verified (thanks to BitterBastard at the samsumg-omnia.org site) but, as always, do this at your OWN RISK!

Also, once again a reminder, you CANNOT use the dialpad codes on the Verizon Omnia as the rest of the world is able to do easily.

Here are the steps:

5. Play with the SoundTester Normal->Headset settings until you like the sound. You may need to restart a song each time you change the settings in order to hear the difference (I did). For what it's worth, the only setting I could actually increase was the values of the last value, I forget the title of it (R-something). That did, however, increased the volume.

6. Without closing SoundTester, switch over to your registry editor and look at HKLM\SAMSUNG\AUDIO. You should see a HEADSETNORMAL key. Look in there and you will find some DWORD entries (a bunch of numbers and letters). To add more detail, the only value that changes in the registry values at HKLM\SAMSUNG\AUDIO - HEADSETNORMAL is the 3rd value (0x12) and the rest of the values remain unchanged. I also changed the HANDSETNORMAL values.

7. These are the entries you should record (write down in paper). Write all if you want to be extra careful.

8. Close SoundTester (It will remove these entries, phone goes back to low volume)

9. Open your reg editor HKLM\SAMSUNG\AUDIO - HEADSETNORMAL and HANDSETNORMAL and change the 3rd value (0x12) to the value you wrote down.

In soundtester.exe, I changed my values from -12db to -6db. Less than that, I didn't notice any difference. You may wish to go higher but be careful or you will damage your phone.

Let me know if this works for you. And say *thanks* :) to Verizon for making this Volume change 20 times more difficult than it should be.

Guest chewwbutta

alright i downloaded a registry editor, I just don't know where to find soundtester.exe would someone please explain the beginning steps in a little more detail for noobs like me.

Thanks again.

Guest haus6565

Hi All, new to the Omnia i910.

I have located the soundtester.exe, actually launched it, it appears that I can change the settings with that app. Is this true?

(I don't much care to mess with registry if I don't have too)

If so does anyone have a full set of adjustments they would care to share?

Not really looking for "mind blowing", mostly just the incoming caller volume and the ringtone starts low thing, what is that about anyway?

Thanks in advance and great site!!!

Guest dblaron123

Here are the steps:

Let me know if this works for you. And say *thanks* :) to Verizon for making this Volume change 20 times more difficult than it should be.

hello this is my first post here at modaco.... first i would like to say thanks for all the great info i have found on this site already....

i have never hacked a phone before but everything i have done so far seemed basically straight forward.. this volume fix seems too be the most difficult thing im about to try , ihave never messed with the registry yet. any how i have read everything about this posting and acually found the( sound tester .exe) when i look at the default settings that are set in my phone they do not match the values listed onthis forum . my phone seems to be set at the highest dbs already. do i have to turn them to negative values to go louder?...here is a list of my stock settings, verizon i910 omnia

Normal / Handset

DAC(0C) 12 dB

SPK(02) 0 dB

MPBST(22) +30 dB

RBST(14) +20 dB

RVOL(12) -17.25 dB

Normal / Headset

DAC(0C) 12dB

HP(04) 0 dB

MPBST(22) +20 dB

RBST(14) +20 dB

RVOL(12) -17.25 dB

Normal / Camcorder

DAC(0C) 12dB

HP(04) 0 dB

MPBST(22) +30 dB

RBST(14) +20 dB

RVOL(12) -17.25 dB

Talking / Handset

RVC(02) 0 dB

RX(16) -9 dB

MPBST(22) +30 dB

MVOL(0E)

M2BST(10) +0 dB

TX(08 ) 0 dB

Talking / Earjack

HP(04) 0 dB

RX(16) -15 dB

MPBST(22) +30 dB

MVOL(0E)

MHVOL(10) 6 dB

TX(08 ) 0 dB

Talking / Speakerphone

SPK(02) 0 dB

RX(16) -9 dB

MPBST(22) +30 dB

MVOL(0E)

M2BST(10) +0 dB

TX(08 ) 0 dB

Talking / BTMono

ADCV(12) 28.5 dB

RX(16) -9 dB

V2M(18 ) -6 dB

TX(08 )

AC97

Address 00

Value 0000

Mask FFFF

Compare that to the default values I found posted here

Menu > Normal > Handset

DAC(0C) -4.5

SPK(02) -3

MPBST(22) +12

RBST(14) +0

RVOL(12) 21

Menu > Normal > Headset

DAC(0C) -1.5

HP(04) -12

MPBST(22) +24

RBST(14) +20

RVOL(12) -1.5

Menu > Normal > Camcoder

DAC(0C) -4.5

SPK(02) -3

MPBST(22) +12

RBST(14) +20

RVOL(12) 15

Menu > Talking > Handset

RCV(02) -3

RX(16) -3

MPBST(22) +12

MVOL(0E) 0

M2BST(10) +0

TX(08 ) -6

Menu > Talking > Earjack

HP(04) -7.5

RX(16) -6

MPBST(22) +12

MVOL(0E) 0

M2BST(10) 0

TX(08 ) -6

Menu > Talking > Speakerphone

SPK(02) -1.5

RX(16) 0

MPBST(22) +12

MVOL(0E) -3

M2BST(10) +0

TX(08 ) -6

Menu > Talking > BTMono

ADCV(12) +4.5

RX(16) -6

V2M(18 ) -9

TX(06) -9

AC97

Address 00

Value 0000

Mark FFFF

just looking for some direction before i spend the money on resco registry editor or start changing things. also i saw a download to fix this do i have to use the download or can i manualy adjust every thing seperate.. all i want to do is make playing my movies louder and maybe the speaker phone louder

thanks dblaron123, aaron

Guest dblaron123
alright i downloaded a registry editor, I just don't know where to find soundtester.exe would someone please explain the beginning steps in a little more detail for noobs like me.

Thanks again.

no problem, first open the /main menu/ screen slide left to open your /short cuts/ open /file explorer/ go in /my device/ open /windows/ click menu then click show all files... make sure there is a check by show all files then manually search the windows file and look for /soundtester.exe/ run tester... done...thats the easy part. the rest is a little more involving im trying to find out a little more info before i accually change the registry myself... ill post any findings for the i910 omnia that i couldnt already find here....hope this helps

dblaron123, aaron

Guest chewwbutta
no problem, first open the /main menu/ screen slide left to open your /short cuts/ open /file explorer/ go in /my device/ open /windows/ click menu then click show all files... make sure there is a check by show all files then manually search the windows file and look for /soundtester.exe/ run tester... done...thats the easy part. the rest is a little more involving im trying to find out a little more info before i accually change the registry myself... ill post any findings for the i910 omnia that i couldnt already find here....hope this helps

dblaron123, aaron

Awesome man, I just got to it. i'm not messing with it yet, i'm still looking into the whole process. Thanks for your time and explaining that more. cheers.

Guest dblaron123
Hi All, new to the Omnia i910.

I have located the soundtester.exe, actually launched it, it appears that I can change the settings with that app. Is this true?

(I don't much care to mess with registry if I don't have too)

If so does anyone have a full set of adjustments they would care to share?

Not really looking for "mind blowing", mostly just the incoming caller volume and the ringtone starts low thing, what is that about anyway?

Thanks in advance and great site!!!

even know you can access this and change the values , none of your setting will stick when you hit apply, its locked... the registry editor is nessasary... it allows you to edit and access more than your default file explorer will allow

dblaron123, aaron

Guest rosenhauer
just looking for some direction before i spend the money on resco registry editor or start changing things.

There are several good registry editors for windows mobile that are free.

Google it.

Guest sstuner

Here are the steps:

First post to this very informative forum.

ciscokidinsf great post :D . I tried your steps and somehow screwed up in one of the steps and started to get screeching noise out of the earpiece. So, luckly all I had to do is restore the original reg file in order to get the i910 to work again.

Can you post what info you have in your phone so we can manually modify the reg file with that data?

Thanks in advance

Guest 07aspenx

ciscokidinsf great post :) . I tried your steps and somehow screwed up in one of the steps and started to get screeching noise out of the earpiece. So, luckly all I had to do is restore the original reg file in order to get the i910 to work again.

Can you post what info you have in your phone so we can manually modify the reg file with that data?

Thanks in advance

I'm new to the site and I can confirm that this worked on my Omnia I910. Now my question is how do you increase the volume if you are using a BT headset (Jabra BT3030 is what I'm using)? This instructions above only works for the OEM headset.

Guest Nomad76

First of all thanks for the info. I've been watching this post for about a month now and still cant find the answer. My problem is this: when I open sound tester to make adjustments, I cant seem to find anything to turn up. Everything seems to already be at their highest value. If anybody got this to work, can you please post the registry values for the rest of us?

Thanks.

P.S. Has anyone figured out how to make the ring start off loud instead of slowly increasing in volume?

ciscokidinsf great post :( . I tried your steps and somehow screwed up in one of the steps and started to get screeching noise out of the earpiece. So, luckly all I had to do is restore the original reg file in order to get the i910 to work again.

Thanks in advance

I tried to adjust my volume using the steps above, and I now get a screeching noise out of the phone when making a call. It seemed to work as I got much louder volume for playing music. But now, I cannot use my phone to make a call. Unfortunately, I did not make a backup file? The wierd thing is that I opened the reg file, but never made any changes? I get a low hissing noise during a call as well? Also, the screeching doesn't usually start until I try to press the keypad (for entering password for voicemail).

I am running m2d.

Can anyone help?

I tried to adjust my volume using the steps above, and I now get a screeching noise out of the phone when making a call. It seemed to work as I got much louder volume for playing music. But now, I cannot use my phone to make a call. Unfortunately, I did not make a backup file? The wierd thing is that I opened the reg file, but never made any changes? I get a low hissing noise during a call as well? Also, the screeching doesn't usually start until I try to press the keypad (for entering password for voicemail).

I am running m2d.

Can anyone help?

I think I figured it out. I made changes to the settings within soundtester.exe. Then I hit apply. They don't seem to save the changes, but it did seem to change the sound levels? Not sure this is normal, but it worked for me?

Anyone else experience this?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Wadzii
I think I figured it out. I made changes to the settings within soundtester.exe. Then I hit apply. They don't seem to save the changes, but it did seem to change the sound levels? Not sure this is normal, but it worked for me?

Anyone else experience this?

i did the same thing.. i dont have a registry editor yet and dont have my usb cable handy, so i while poking around in sound tester i changed the headset volume while i was listening to the radio, it definitely made it louder, however when i went back in sound tester the settings were the same. its still louder though.

so it appears that no registry edit is needed, just change it in sound tester, remember what you changed because you wont see those changes in sound tester

Guest Turborepu

i tried it out and it indeed does work BUT i noticed that it starts a call loud and if i press the volume up button the volume drops alot and i cant get it back up till i start a call again.. Im sure it has to do with other settings, we just need to decipher what each line does. Once that is done someone with skills might be able to make a program that can increase or decrease those registry values by a given amount since its all mathematical..

• 1 month later...
Guest redsfan

Thanks for the find!.

But here's what I did different:

Before I closed soundtester.exe, Using Resco Regeditor I checked the reg values.

I went back one level to where it hows the key folder that holds these keys.

Using the sylus (easier this way) pressed and held down until the dropped down menu popped up.

Clicked EXPORT, and exported that folder and is contents into a reg file.

I closed everything down, and went to My Documents and ran the Reg file to import the values back into the reg.

Did a soft reset. Everything defitely seems louder!

Beats writing those values down.

• 1 month later...
Guest the v

P.S. Has anyone figured out how to make the ring start off loud instead of slowly increasing in volume?

Edited by the v

Guest the v

ring tone adjustment that comes standard on the Omnia i910. When a call comes in, the ring tone is muted a bit and then goes to full volume.

The following Registry Change fixes this so that the volume is full volume on the first ring.

HKCU\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\Ring\AttenuationCategory

Change value to 1

You need to use a registry editor like Resco Explorer or other registry editor (like CeRegEditor), to make this change.

After the change, wait 20 seconds and then do a soft reboot.

Note: This apparently does NOT work on the i900 version of the phone.

Other settings for this value are:

0 is no
volume

1 is flat ringtone volume

2 is increasing ringtone volume

sorry double post

Edited by the v