tomtom gps

Guest glennd

Guest glennd

Hi again,

Another question. When using satnav (tomtom or another) on my new htc hd.

This is my first smart phone so forgive me for the basic questions that you all know apart from me! So here goes; which software should i buy? does it come on cd to u load to a computer, then upload to a SD memory card on phone? Which is the best for compatibility and ease of use? How to use from there? When using it in the car as satnav does it run with GPRS/GPS from the phone? if so do u get charged for the use of GPS/GPRS from your provider?

Cheers

Glen

Guest jonajuna

which software should i buy?

upto you, copilot7 work ok on the HD but isnt officially supported yet. tomtom6 dont work (afaik) but tomtom7 (certain builds) does. however there is no way to officially get TT7 in the uk. you can get it legally (as the software itself is free, you pay for maps) from the US site, links exist, but you need a patched version from the HTC diamond really. not sure if im allowed to say where you can get that from on here, as although not illegal as such, its also not from an official source.

does it come on cd to u load to a computer, then upload to a SD memory card on phone?

yes and no! either or, you can buy the dvd and load yourself, or buy a preloaded sd card. unless u use TT7 then you download it and install the cab direct to your fone

Which is the best for compatibility and ease of use?

copilot7, as there is no fiddling required unlike the unofficial TT7. im a long standing user of CP6 but am now on TT7 and i like that better over CP6, but havent used CP7 although from what i have read, many say its better or equal to TT.

When using it in the car as satnav does it run with GPRS/GPS from the phone?

yes, the GPS on your fone does the sat location bit, the software/maps in your fone do the navigation bit. the gprs (for which you are always charged unless you have a data bundle) only kicks in with "extras" such as live traffic updates, messaging and location (so others can find you) services. for the satnav part, there is no data charge as gps signals are "free to air" as such

does that help?

personally, unless you are either tech savvy or prepared to learn, go for the CP7 for ease of use out of the box as TT7 will require some messing about to get running on the HD

btw, there are no stupid questions!!! only questions :rolleyes: BUT..... always search search and search again, both with google and on forums before asking questions, else you might get flamed from time to time by less than patient people

enjoy your HD, and remember its a pdaphone rather than a smart fone..... what we have are soooo much better :)