Differences between Advent 4211 and 4211c

Guest Sparky101

Guest Sparky101

Hi, ready to part with my cash on an Advent but just trying to determine the differences between the 4211 and 4211c. Obvious one is the 80GB vs 120GB drive. Are there any others? I've heard the 4211 can only take 1 memory module so to upgrade to 2GB you have to buy a 2GB stick rather than an additional 1GB. Is this correct? Anything else to know? Was planning on buying a 320GB HDD for it so if the 4211 only has a smaller drive as the difference then might as well save a few quid and go for one of them rather than the 4211c.

Guest Sparky101

Another question, can an additional 2GB of RAM be added to the on-board 1GB? Does the BIOS see it or can it only see 2GB? I've not seen anyone running 3GB on an Advent/MSI.

Guest pd.ryder

Sparky -- the only difference is the HDD.

With respect to the RAM - the 4211 / MSI Wind will support up to 2GB RAM. It has 1GB onboard, so you can either add another 1GB SODIMM matching the 533 bus speed or add a shiny new 2GB stick but you'll have to disable the onboard 1GB from within the BIOS or the 2GB won't be recognised or used.

If you run the MSI BIOS v1.9 and plan to overclock up to 24% (mine's very stable) you'll need to be sure the latency of the RAM matches, or it'll crash when you overclock it. It needs 533MHz, 4-4-4-4-12 latency timing, 200-pin. Apparently, if you use a single 2GB stick and disable the onboard memory, a 667MHz stick will suffice.

For more info than you can use, try the MSI Wind forum. They're not quite as friendly as the bunch of souls on here. It took me all of 3 posts to upset the apple cart :( It escapes me why folks will post on a forum just to wave their willies and ridicule those with less knowledge than themselves. I thought the idea was to spread knowledge amongst the masses, but hey, each to their own I guess... [/rantover] B)

Edited by pd.ryder

Guest Sparky101
Sparky -- the only difference is the HDD.

With respect to the RAM - the 4211 / MSI Wind will support up to 2GB RAM. It has 1GB onboard, so you can either add another 1GB SODIMM matching the 533 bus speed or add a shiny new 2GB stick but you'll have to disable the onboard 1GB from within the BIOS or the 2GB won't be recognised or used.

If you run the MSI BIOS v1.9 and plan to overclock up to 24% (mine's very stable) you'll need to be sure the latency of the RAM matches, or it'll crash when you overclock it. It needs 533MHz, 4-4-4-4-12 latency timing, 200-pin. Apparently, if you use a single 2GB stick and disable the onboard memory, a 667MHz stick will suffice.

For more info than you can use, try the MSI Wind forum. They're not quite as friendly as the bunch of souls on here. It took me all of 3 posts to upset the apple cart :( It escapes me why folks will post on a forum just to wave their willies and ridicule those with less knowledge than themselves. I thought the idea was to spread knowledge amongst the masses, but hey, each to their own I guess... [/rantover] B)

Thanks man. Just wanted to confirm before ordering a 1GB stick.

Guest pd.ryder

HTH :(

I'll be popping a 1GB stick into mine as soon as I summon the courage to crack the casing. There seems to be no real advantage to using a 2GB stick as far as I can tell.

One big advantage of having a total 2GB (again with the MSI v1.9 BIOS) is the available video memory doubles to 256MB instantly. Handy for running that Hi-Def video or gaming... B)

:P