=-Wanted-= Show Restricted Number

Guest banderdragon

Guest banderdragon

I have been told by the manager of the phone department at the best buy near where i live that he saw a program on one of the fuze forums that was able to show the phone number of somone calling even if they had their number restricted.

Now, i have been looking all over, and yes i did a search on this forum, and i have yet to find this program, or even the forums he said he found it on. Of course he does not remember with it is called. I was wondering if anyone else has come across this program, or knows where to find it.

Thanks,

Bander

Guest mwright

This topic crops up now and again!

It cannot be done as far as I know.

If someone witholds their number when calling you - then your phone never gets to see the phone number. There is no way (apart from a court order!) that the information can be retrieved.

Sorry

Guest G1LIW

Correct. I talked to a BT engineer about this very topic a few years back. Apparently, by the time you receive the call, even a local call, it has most likely been sent through about five or ten (or more) different exchanges to get to you (packet routing is the preferred method of routing calls these days). Withheld numbers are blocked at the first outgoing exchange. The first exchange will have noted the outgoing number for billing purposes. No other exchange will see the number.

Therefore, what banderdragon was told is a myth.

Hope this clears the problem up for another few months :(

Guest davey1980

agree.. althought i find it quite bad for some1 to withhold their number and call u theres no way to find out who it was..other than police channels etc. only thing we can do is block these numbers.. luckly theres programmes that can do that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Neil5459
try trapcall.com. i haven't used it myself so i cannot testify, but i've read several reports of it having worked. good luck.

Trapcall is US only, adn only for 3 carriers. It won't work anywhere else- even if it did t would work out pricey as the unblocking process needs a phone call to a US phone number for each call.

Likely to be illegal in UK anyay due to data protection and OFTEL/OFCOM rules

Guest fuzemaster
Trapcall is US only, adn only for 3 carriers. It won't work anywhere else- even if it did t would work out pricey as the unblocking process needs a phone call to a US phone number for each call.

Likely to be illegal in UK anyay due to data protection and OFTEL/OFCOM rules

Good thing the OP is from the US, then.

Guest davey1980

i work for T-mobile and i can say ... sadly theres no way in the UK to find out restricted numbers as they get witheld when sent to 1st site and since they get sent through many sites b4 getting connected u cant access them. police would have to do a trace bk through these to get the number and would have to work with the fone companys etc. so no software would work. damn annoying tho

• 4 weeks later...
Guest SlangMarket.Com

The block of the number does not originate with a phone and the "trunk" line of old does not exist anymore. There would be no way of identifying a restricted number from the recipient's phone because that data is simply not transmitted to the hand set. It isn't a matter of decryption.

Edited by SlangMarket.Com

• 2 months later...
Guest ScreamingFalcon

I work for Qwest and I concur as far as wireless phones are concerned. You can force a caller to divulge at least something if they try to call anonymously to a landline (we call it Security Screen), but they can lie to the prompt to get past it, leaving it up to you to decide whether to answer or not. As far as I know, wireless providers do not even offer a service-based or account-level equivalent to even our Anonymous Call Rejection.

• 1 month later...
Guest sheepdiver

Actually - the caller ID is sent all the way from the originating caller to the end recipient. If you call an 800 number your number will show up on their bill since they are paying for the call - even if you have caller ID blocked. I have many 800 numbers and know this since I see the bills. Also - if you are calling law enforcement or 911 they always get your number. This is how they know your address. It's also why you can't call an anonymous bomb threat for example.

The caller ID is blocked by YOUR carrier when they connect the call to your phone. They need the original caller ID to be able to process the call. My service provider had a setting wrong and I used to get everyone's caller ID. That's how I knew when the wife was calling even though we had caller ID blocked.