Automatic Ring volume control

Guest JDawg183

Guest JDawg183

I was cruising the net and found an article on MSDN about someone developing an app (back in 2007) that would automatically adjust the ringer volume based on the ambient noise. If you are at a bar it rings loud, if you are at home sitting on the couch reading it rings quiet. Problem is, she only showed the code and didnt have an actual app, and i dont know how to program. So here is my question, has anyone actually developed an app that would do this for you? Anyone up for a challenge just for something cool to do? Thanks

Here is the link. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163341.aspx

Edited by JDawg183

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tobbbie

Would like to see such an application as well - you should rename the thread to "Automatic RING volume Control". Seems like all the bits and pieces are there for the application - so we only need someone having the IDE to push the button to pack it for using it. I would need it for the smartphone though - but as it has no user interface it should not matter...

Attached you find the compiled exe file from the link above.

Just copy it to your mobile and run it via the filemanager.

.NET CF 3.5 needed !!!

You have to mark one of the 2 test (loops runs continously "once" only runs once) and hit the "Run" button.

So far it works but i think i will drain the battery even you run a test only every few minutes.

Also the algorithm to calculate the ringer volume needs some adjustments as far as i've tested.

But just play around and report your findings :excl:

TooLoud.rar

Guest tobbbie

Wow that was fast :-)

Will take some time till I can test it (no CF3.5 installed on my VOX with WM6).

Why is CF3.5 required (the MSDN article says it uses only CF1.0 parts)?

Test done on my VOX (WM6 Standard): does not run but gives an exception at "Microsoft.AGL.Common.MISC.HandleAr() at ..." I wonder if it is related to the CF Version or the "Standard WM" as opposed to the Touchscreen interface where it was designed for.

I wonder if it would not be sufficient for the application to sit and wait until a call comes in and THEN check for the ambient noise to adjust the volume? It should delay the ring of course. I mean 1 second additional delay before the ring starts would not be a problem for me (I use "vibrate then ring" anyway).

Edited by tobbbie

Guest JDawg183
Attached you find the compiled exe file from the link above.

Just copy it to your mobile and run it via the filemanager.

.NET CF 3.5 needed !!!

You have to mark one of the 2 test (loops runs continously "once" only runs once) and hit the "Run" button.

So far it works but i think i will drain the battery even you run a test only every few minutes.

Also the algorithm to calculate the ringer volume needs some adjustments as far as i've tested.

But just play around and report your findings :excl:

HOLY COW MAN!! You are awesome! I cant wait to try this out! I am at work right now, so I cant download it, but you can sure bet I will when I get home. I was starting to think that no one had any interest in attempting this. I think it is a flipping sweet idea! Thank you very much. I will try it on my Omnia as soon as I can.

Attached is a new .exe which should also run with .NET CF 1.

Besides that i added a checkbox.

If it is checked the app watches for incoming calls and if one is detected it adjusts the volume level.

Happy testing :excl:

TooLoud_V2.rar

Guest tobbbie

If it is checked the app watches for incoming calls and if one is detected it adjusts the volume level.

Oops - still the same error on the VOX, so the problem is attributed to the VOX using only the WM6 Standard :-(

Oops - still the same error on the VOX, so the problem is attributed to the VOX using only the WM6 Standard :-(

Yup, that only works with pda's / touch screen devices

Guest JDawg183

Which one seems to be the better of the 2, the 3.5 version or cf1 version of this app? I already had 3.5 installed for other reasons, just wondering. Thanks Again.

Which one seems to be the better of the 2, the 3.5 version or cf1 version of this app? I already had 3.5 installed for other reasons, just wondering. Thanks Again.

Both versions should work with CF 1 / CF 2.

I just stated CF 3.5 would be needed because i haven't checked the traget CF version.

Now i checked it and both versions should work with CF 1.

The second binary only contains the addition that if you check the checkbox it will automatically adjust the ringer volume when an incoming call is detected.

The first binary is just the compiled exe without any modifications

Guest JDawg183
Both versions should work with CF 1 / CF 2.

I just stated CF 3.5 would be needed because i haven't checked the traget CF version.

Now i checked it and both versions should work with CF 1.

The second binary only contains the addition that if you check the checkbox it will automatically adjust the ringer volume when an incoming call is detected.

The first binary is just the compiled exe without any modifications

man, you are pro. I cant believe no one has packaged this before!

Guest JDawg183

You said yours was working ok? I was just testing it out and it doesnt seem to change for me. I had my wife listening with me too to see, but maybe I did something wrong. I opened the program, selected loop, and auto when ring, and left it running in the background. I then turned everything off, and had my wife call me. I then had her turn the tv up loud (I was standing right by the speaker both times) and call again, and the volume did not seem to increase. Did I do something wrong?

You said yours was working ok? I was just testing it out and it doesnt seem to change for me. I had my wife listening with me too to see, but maybe I did something wrong. I opened the program, selected loop, and auto when ring, and left it running in the background. I then turned everything off, and had my wife call me. I then had her turn the tv up loud (I was standing right by the speaker both times) and call again, and the volume did not seem to increase. Did I do something wrong?

There should be 2 boxes visible.

The first (top) box shows "... loop" and "... once".

The second box is for debug messages.

If you select "loop" and hit "run" there should be continously log output.

Also you can see the ringer vol. in lower box.

For testing place the phone directly beneath a loudspeaker from e.g. a CD-Player and turn up the volume.

The values to where to set the ringer volume should also increase