The MDA Compact V (aka T-Mo Diamond2) is coming 21st May... WM6.5 in September!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul
compactv.png
The MDA Compact V, the T-Mobile branded version of the HTC Diamond2), will be available from 21st May!

The specification is identical of course to the HTC version, with a subtle design overhaul to give it a unique identity (as we have seen with previous T-Mobile variants). The press release states 'The T-Mobile MDA Compact V is available from 21st May at T-Mobile stores and online at www.t-mobile.co.uk and isfree on T-Mobile price plans from £50 per month'. The device will ship with a 7 day trial of CoPilot navigation (perfect for the in built GPS of course) and on 1st June (strange disparity in dates?), T-Mobile will start a promotion which will offer 10,000 customers that sign up to an 18 month contract free CoPilot Sat Nav for 18 months.

The press release also states that 'It features the latest Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 technology (an update to 6.5 is available in September)'. So is September when 6.5 will first hit the streets? It looks as though that could be the case!

Now who is holding out for the MDA Compact V? <controversial>As before, i think it looks actually a bit nicer than the generic HTC version...</controversial> :D

P

Guest deadphill

Me Ive been waiting for this for a while now. Will have a play and decide if its better than what I have and sell one or other and get an iphone as well I think.

Cheers

Phill

Guest Shuflie

Might want to change the thread title to avoid confusion, the MDA compact IV has been out since last year after all. :D

Guest deadphill
Might want to change the thread title to avoid confusion, the MDA compact IV has been out since last year after all. :D

Yea slight overlook there by Paul! I have corrected.

Id be a bit miffed if it was a C4!

Cheers

Phill

Guest declank

Was tempted with the G2 Magic, but I would be naked without all my WM apps. Please post your thoughts on D2 as soon as you get one. T3 (Apple lovers) are sitting on the fence with this one, but has a review in its latest issue.

Pix

http://www.t3.com/reviews/phones/smartphon...touch-diamond-2

Whats all the fuss about the Palm Pre?

Edited by declank

Guest RickDawson

Just phoned T-Mobile up.

I've finished my 18 month contract with the Vario III

£5/per month rental discount, no new mobile from t-mobile.

This will start a new 18 month contract.

Asked about the touch diamond 2 (Compact 5)

Compact 5 in available in the next couple of weeks no prices as of yet.

I left it at that, and i'll phone again in a couple of weeks (or so)

Still on flext 20 with W'n'W

how to work out the maths, if I bought a Touch Diamond 2 (sim free) and took the £5/ month line rental discount for 18 months, rather than a mobile from t-mobile

£28 current average bill

monthly line rental including £5 discount

Bill will be about £23 / month

18months x £23 = £414

mobile £389.99 from (Devicewire)

Mobile + 18 month contract = £803.99

PAYG + internet = ????

Mobile + PAYG = 389.99 + ????

What is the best PAYG option with a Data bundle?

Guest deadphill

Hmm

I phoned t-mobile today and as its not on their system. Booooo

Well guess Ill have to wait a bit longer.

Cheers

Phill

Guest cougal96

After waiting a month to upgrade to see if t-mob would bring out diamond2 alternative I rang up t-mob 2 weeks ago to cancel my contract as i was going to go for the diamond2 but was convinced to stay, as the compact V was due out 21st. Today has finally came and now ive been told its a couple of weeks maybe more - is there any truth in this? i dont want to wait another 2 weeks to be told the same story again! the buzz of the phone will have gone by then and something new will be in the pipelines and then i'll want to wait for that!

So my question is does ANYONE know when this phone is due out!?

thanks in advance

Guest dagregg

I also phoned T-Mobile today as I am eligible for an upgrade and have been eagerly awaiting the launch of the Touch Diamond 2 / MDA Compact V. The T-Mobile guy wanted to know why I thought the handset was being launched today. I explained that it had been announced in a press release but he told me it was definitely not available yet and even stated that it is still in "testing" (after putting me on hold for several minutes so he could presumably ask someone else what I was talking about). He tried to push me towards a MDA Compact IV which I won't hold against him as I am sure they will struggle to shift these once the new handset is finally launched! He did however tell me that the upgrade price for the MDA Compact V would be £64 which is the handset price of £264 minus a £200 upgrade discount. For info I have just completed 18 months on Flext 20 + W'n'W. I just have to hope that the price quoted was correct as, in my experience, T-Mobile tend to tell you something different from one day to the next...

Guest Perfectionist

I don't see why there is so much fuss over new range of HTC phones ..... they aren't really all that exciting tbh !! <_<

Still I'm glad the Compact 5 is coming out ..... as I'll be looking to snag a cheap Compact 4 from Ebay !! (I just love its super small size!) B)

Will tide me over until the WinMo version of the Samsung Omnia HD arrives next year !! Hurrah !! :)

Guest deadphill

Well according to Monolithix, the TF3D is miles better than that of the diamond, so that should be interesting to see.

At the end of the day, if I dont like it I can always return it in a x (cant remember how long I think its something like 14 days) day period!

Cheers

Phill

Guest Informator
I also phoned T-Mobile today as I am eligible for an upgrade and have been eagerly awaiting the launch of the Touch Diamond 2 / MDA Compact V. The T-Mobile guy wanted to know why I thought the handset was being launched today. I explained that it had been announced in a press release but he told me it was definitely not available yet and even stated that it is still in "testing" (after putting me on hold for several minutes so he could presumably ask someone else what I was talking about). He tried to push me towards a MDA Compact IV which I won't hold against him as I am sure they will struggle to shift these once the new handset is finally launched! He did however tell me that the upgrade price for the MDA Compact V would be £64 which is the handset price of £264 minus a £200 upgrade discount. For info I have just completed 18 months on Flext 20 + W'n'W. I just have to hope that the price quoted was correct as, in my experience, T-Mobile tend to tell you something different from one day to the next...

I have some news on this which I hope will be helpful...

I am determined to get the Diamond2 in one form or another. I am on Orange at the moment and have been for years but all they can tell me is that they'll "probably" get it at some point in the future. I am debating whether to buy it sim free outright, switch to T-Mobile or wait and see what happens with Orange.

Anyway, I spoke to T-Mobile on the phone yesterday, who had no idea what I was on about. Similarly, the man in the shop had no clue about when it was coming out. After much prodding, he looked in his book and said that it was on their system and had the same pricing as the Blackberry Bold. He quoted me the following prices for the handset on 18 month contracts:

Combi 30 - £90

Combi 25 - £130

Combi 20 - £160

However he did stress that this was just a guideline until officially released. Don't know about Flext, didn't ask.

Hope this is helpful. Now what I need to know is if it's worth me dropping to a sim only tariff whilst I wait, carrying on paying Orange for my current contract without getting a renewal reduction, or just buy the phone outright and get a sim only tariff with T-Mobile. Decisions...

Guest Informator

Still no luck! I can't find any word anywhere online about when it will actually be coming out on any of the major carriers, T-Mobile or otherwise. I'm getting so desperate I'm contemplating dropping my years of loyalty bonus on Orange and just buying a T-Mobile sim and the handset sim free. BAH!

Guest dagregg

According to the original press release from T-Mobile the 18 months free sat nav offer will be available from 1 June (next Monday) so presumably the handset will need to be available from then. But it is T-Mobile so who knows?

Guest RickDawson

It's not on t-mobile's website yet, but the previous version has now been removed <_<

Edited by RickDawson

Guest dagregg

I phoned my local T-Mobile shop yesterday and the person I spoke to told me they had received an email stating that the handset has been delayed. The email did not include a revised launch date.

Guest l3v5y

Just looked on the T-Mobile site. The Compact IV is no longer on it, (Vario IV still is though) so I guess we can expect the Compact V quite soon... <_<

EDIT: Compact V also isn't on the business site.

Edited by l3v5y

• 1 month later...
Guest dagregg

Finally got one on Saturday after hounding a member of T-Mobile's Loyalty Team. Very pleased considering it does not appear on the website yet and the stores do not seem to know when they will be receiving stock. Only bad point is I have lost my £5 "Go Direct" monthly discount which I have received for approximately the last 20 months- according to T-Mobile old discounts are lost when renewing contracts. Still got half a mind to send it back, cancel my contract and get a better deal at Mobile Phones Direct, however this would mean porting my number from T-Mobile to a different operator's PAYG SIM and then porting it back to T-Mobile when I take out a new contract through Mobile Phones Direct. Now that I actually have the box containing my shiny new Compact V in front of me I doubt I will be bothered.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SpeedyMaestro

Fantastic phone! The original Diamond was nearly the perfect phone. The functionality was amazing for a phone so small, but characteristics such as unresponsiveness, being prone to crashes, and battery life let it down. What it did have though in its favour, especially when compared to the iphone, apart from functionality, is its amazing vga screen and the ability to browse the net easily with 1 hand - I could browse, zoom in etc. easily whilst engaged in some other activitiy such as eating lunch.

The diamond 2 seems to iron out the faults of the original whilst enhancing its strengths. The wvga screen is amazing - I can never get used to low resolutions again. The battery lasts for more than 2 days now. The phone is also very responsive and the operating system appear to much more robust now with no crashes or abnormal behaviour on my phone so far. And the one-handed web browsing is second to none and makes the browsing on even phones such as the iphone feel cumbersome.

For me the best phone ever.

Edited by SpeedyMaestro

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.