SugarSync now offering free 2GB accounts

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul
sugarsynclogo.png
I first wrote about SugarSync in August 2006, when it was branded 'Sharpcast' and was a Beta service primarily aimed at syncing your photos.

Well, since then Sharpcast has come out of Beta, been renamed SugarSync, migrated to a purely paid model and now migrated to a model whereby you can get 2GB of online storage FREE (we like free!)

So what is it?

SugarSync is essentially automated online backup with multiple computer sync INCLUDING Windows Mobile support together with remote web access.

In their own words (with my favourite bits highlighted!) features include...

Set up SugarSync once and your files are continuously backed up to your secure, personal SugarSync website. Edit these files on your computer, and your changes are automatically backed up. If your computer is stolen or damaged, you can recover your files painlessly. It’s easy – no CDs, DVDs or storage drives required.

Easily view and restore previous versions of your files - SugarSync automatically stores the previous five versions of all your files and makes them instantly available to you from any computer, web browser or mobile phone. The versioning process runs seamlessly in the background so you don’t even have to think about it.

Your entire photo collection automatically organized into albums for you - When you back up your photos with SugarSync, you get the peace of mind that your precious memories are protected. In addition, your photos are automatically organized into gorgeous online photo albums for viewing and sharing. You now have one service for both backing up and sharing your photos.

Online Photo Backup - Secure backup of your files, photos and media. Data security and confidentiality are our top priorities. Only you can see your files. Your files are transferred securely using SSL and are stored in an encrypted format using 128 bit AES (same level of protection used by major banks). All data is stored and backed up in geo-redundant, world class data centers.

SugarSync extends sync experience to web browsers - Now you can work on your documents remotely through a web browser and keep all your changes in sync, even if the remote computer has no SugarSync client installed. Simply go to your SugarSync personal website and choose the WebSync option when you click a file. When you’re done editing the file SugarSync automatically syncs the changes to all your other devices. No manual uploads or downloads.

Automatically sync files across your computers — Sync between your PC and Mac and Mobile. Sync files across your computers and access any file from any device. Start editing a file on your office PC and complete your work on your home Mac. No need to email files, connect to VPN or use key drives. Sync your family’s computers — it’s easier than setting up a home network.

Offline sync - Unlike other products, SugarSync allows you to sync computers even if any of your devices is offline. For example, is your home computer off? You can still sync files to it from any other device. The next time your home computer is online, any file edits you make will sync automatically.

Sync your Files Remotely from Your Mobile - Sync camera phone pictures and digital photos between your computer and phone. With SugarSync Mobile, photos you take with your camera phone are automatically synced to your computer. It’s the easiest way to save these photos. Any photos you have on your computer can be synced to your phone. Photos of your loved ones can now be with you wherever you go.

Now you can share any folder with anyone – business partners, colleagues, family and friends. SugarSync makes it seamless for others to work on the content as if they were working on their own. SugarSync also keeps track of the changes for you so you will always be on top of your files. We make sure you have the full control of your folders and peace of mind to share them.

Send any file, no matter how large, to anyone – from your desktop or on-the-go from a remote computer or mobile phone. The recipient, whether they have a SugarSync account or not, will receive a secure link to your files (valid for 21 days) and can start the download immediately. SugarSync will send you a confirmation email once the recipient downloads your files.

There are multiple tiers of pricing including 2GB for free, 60GB for $9.99 a month, 100GB for $14.99 a month and 250GB for $24.99 a month. Supported mobile devices include WinMo (of course), iPhone / iTouch and Blackberry with Android further down the roadmap. Windows and OSX are supported on the desktop.

It's quite neat, and if you're just syncing pictures for example, 2GB is a decent amount of storage.

Any existing SugarSync users out there? If you try it out, let us know how you get on! <_<

P

Guest deadphill

Whilst this looks good and Im not at liberty to say what the user experience is like, can this not be achieved with using Microsoft mesh, which is 5gb of storage and is free?

Cheers

Phill

Guest NikLP

Dropbox is awesome, but it doesn't integrate with mobile devices at this stage.

However, Dropbox have a referral policy which means you can get "a bit more" storage by referring new users. I'm up to a free 4gb account now which is plenty for my needs.

Guest andybarker

Just tried it - and the main feature I wanted to use it for was to sync the pictures I take on my phone to my desktop. For Windows Mobile, it is only a download from SugarSync as opposed to uploading at the moment. Can upload from iPhone and Blackberry now.

Once this is sorted, I can see myself using this quite a bit.

Guest andybarker
MyPhone would sorta do that now, as would Mesh?

P

Until reading this article, i'd never really looked into anything like this before.

MyPhone seems to just be a backup program for mobiles - I would like to sync certain folders with my desktop (pictures, some documents, etc).

Mesh says "Coming Soon" for Mobiles.

Guest deadphill

Hmm

I was under the impression the mesh for mobiles beta was restricted to the US and UK.

If thats the case then it might be worthwhile looking into it again Andy, as your profile says you are in good old Hertfordshire!

Cheers

Phill

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.