No auto rotate ?

Guest Liz

Hi

Just wondering if I'm missing something - or my phone is...

I dont seem to have auto rotate, nothing happens when I tilt the phone, no matter what app or program I'm using. I found the setting to turn it on (but cant remember where now!) but still no tilt/rotate.

Also web pages are so small they are unreadable even on the highest zoom.

Any help? Or have I got a duff diamond2...?

Thanks

Liz

moved to Topaz (Diamond 2) forum

Thanks for moving the thread for me James, never knew the Diamond2 was known as *Topaz* - Der.... <_<

I've found if I use IE to access the net the pages are readable but not rotatable...If I use Opera the pages rotate but any text is like pin heads, much to small to read.

Anyone any help on this? Really struggling with it :) B)

Guest lazylilsnoop

just bought my diamond 2.

hmm, my screen rotates automatically in web browser, n photo.

i believe only it only works in that 2 places. other than that, there is a program call gyrator that rotates in every screen(but got no idea how to use it)

I use changeScreen which I discovered on the XDA Developers site.

Thanks for both the links for rotate programs, I'll check them out.

Problem is the phone *should* do this anyway (well simple rotate) and I *should* be able to read web pages without a magnifying glass *as is* (out of the box) without having to download new applications.

Its less than a week old so if there is something wrong with it (rather than me not having the right settings!) then I want to get it back to the suppliers.

I'll poke around some more today and if I turn up nothing I'll send it back tomorrow.

Thanks for help.

Guest Neil5459
Problem is the phone *should* do this anyway (well simple rotate) and I *should* be able to read web pages without a magnifying glass *as is* (out of the box) without having to download new applications.

The hardware is definitely in place for autorotation, but the software for some reason isn't. Why HTC choose to ship with only 2 programs able to rotate is a mystery to all who try this device! However, Gyrator, Changescreen and G-Sen can all fix this with a little effort. Of the 3, ChangeScreen is probably the easiest to use.

The current mobile browsers are all vying to be mini-desktop versions that display websites as you would see them on a PC. The downside of this is that in default form, the text is simply too small to read. I find it as irritating as you do. Older versions of Pocket IE had a much better set of options like 'Fit to Screen' and 'Single Column' but they've been dropped. Opera is just as bad.

Both PIE and Opera do have the 'tap to zoom' feature which allows you to zoom into a page and then drag it around but it is a fag as switching pages loses the zoom again. I prefer a 3rd party browser called Netfront 3.5 Concept Edition from a company called Access. This is a beta version and the versions expire after a few months, but the downloads are free of charge. This has custom zoom levels which can be saved as 'View Settings' and favourites can be associated with a specific view setting- so a page with a lot of small text can be saved with a higher zoom and so on.

The hardware is definitely in place for autorotation, but the software for some reason isn't. Why HTC choose to ship with only 2 programs able to rotate is a mystery to all who try this device! However, Gyrator, Changescreen and G-Sen can all fix this with a little effort. Of the 3, ChangeScreen is probably the easiest to use.

The current mobile browsers are all vying to be mini-desktop versions that display websites as you would see them on a PC. The downside of this is that in default form, the text is simply too small to read. I find it as irritating as you do. Older versions of Pocket IE had a much better set of options like 'Fit to Screen' and 'Single Column' but they've been dropped. Opera is just as bad.

Both PIE and Opera do have the 'tap to zoom' feature which allows you to zoom into a page and then drag it around but it is a fag as switching pages loses the zoom again. I prefer a 3rd party browser called Netfront 3.5 Concept Edition from a company called Access. This is a beta version and the versions expire after a few months, but the downloads are free of charge. This has custom zoom levels which can be saved as 'View Settings' and favourites can be associated with a specific view setting- so a page with a lot of small text can be saved with a higher zoom and so on.

Thanks Neil.

My problem is I have NO rotation *at all* in anything except Opera where the screen is so small (with full zoom on) that its unreadable. If use IE then I can read the screen but not rotate it. Pictures on the phone viewer dont rotate either.

I'll check out the other browser & changescreen, but I'm thinking there is a fault on this phone and am just worried that a couple of months up the line more faults might show up.

Thanks for your help.

Liz

Guest Neil5459

Yes- by default, only Opera and HTC Album will rotate, so without the add-on rotation program that's all you will get. Not sure about the 'phone viewer' you mention- there are 2 picture progs on HTC devices- HTC Album and the default WinMo Pictures & Videos program. The latter won't rotate as supplied.

I'm a little surprised you can't find a setting to give tolerable text sizes. In PIE have you tried Menu/View/Text Size/Largest then Menu/View/Mobile (then Refreshing the page). For me, this gives the biggest text and is readable, though I do use an XDA Flint which has a 5" screen!

I don't condone site 'poaching', but the other site I moderate on, as in my sig, has a little more experience of the Diamond2- it might be worth asking advice there <_<

Yes- by default, only Opera and HTC Album will rotate, so without the add-on rotation program that's all you will get. Not sure about the 'phone viewer' you mention- there are 2 picture progs on HTC devices- HTC Album and the default WinMo Pictures & Videos program. The latter won't rotate as supplied.

I'm a little surprised you can't find a setting to give tolerable text sizes. In PIE have you tried Menu/View/Text Size/Largest then Menu/View/Mobile (then Refreshing the page). For me, this gives the biggest text and is readable, though I do use an XDA Flint which has a 5" screen!

I don't condone site 'poaching', but the other site I moderate on, as in my sig, has a little more experience of the Diamond2- it might be worth asking advice there B)

Hi

What happens in opera is a time lag on rotate, so it will turn but takes about 30 secs or so, and sometimes needs a shake to persuade it to flip <_< I have found those text setting - but they make no difference, its still an unreadable size even on largest (and I have got others to check, so its not my eye's - lol). I've also remembered to click on the tick to save the settings...... The text size in PIE is fine, and readable on default settings by the way.

By *photo viewer* I meant the HTC Album - sorry about that :D - nothing rotates in that. Just to confirm, I get to it by opening the camera then clicking album? I am possibly doing something wrong as I find the diamond 2 more complicated that other WM I've had!

I'll tootle over and check out the other forum....

Thanks for your help with this - and sorry if it turns out its me being numb! :)

Liz

Guest Neil5459
Thanks for your help with this - and sorry if it turns out its me being numb! <_<

Liz

I don't think it's you! If an experienced WinMo user can't get it to work what hope is there for someone new to the platform? No wonder the iPhone is so popular <ducks> :)

The slow rotation in Opera and lack of rotation on Camera Album, which should rotate may signify a device or ROM fault. Either way it may be politic to send it back within the DOA period.

Did you try Shuflie's suggestion? I'd forgotten about the Zoom Bar! Also, in Opera I presume you've tried the 'double tap' to zoom the screen?

I don't think it's you! If an experienced WinMo user can't get it to work what hope is there for someone new to the platform? No wonder the iPhone is so popular <ducks> <_<

The slow rotation in Opera and lack of rotation on Camera Album, which should rotate may signify a device or ROM fault. Either way it may be politic to send it back within the DOA period.

Did you try Shuflie's suggestion? I'd forgotten about the Zoom Bar! Also, in Opera I presume you've tried the 'double tap' to zoom the screen?

Here's what I get in Opera - these are both on full zoom using the zoom bar - I get the same if I use the double tap.

Wondering if I should try downloading Opera again?

On the photo's - Should individual photos rotate? or just the album folders? I've just found out that my folder view rotates but not individual photos.

Thanks again for taking time with this :)

post-22708-1243853407_thumb.jpg

post-22708-1243853827_thumb.jpg

Edited by Liz

What happens in Opera when you use the zoom bar and swipe your finger from left to right on a website like bbc.co.uk?

Just posted 2 pics above showing the screen on full zoom. I'm still looking around the settings, but nothing seems to change that view - thanks for suggestion.

Edited by Liz

Guest Neil5459
Just posted 2 pics above showing the screen on full zoom. I'm still looking around the settings, but nothing seems to change that view - thanks for suggestion.

That is definitely not right!

Below I've posted 3 images (from my Diamond1) showing the BBC Homepage in it's default state, then zoomed in Landscape and also zoomed in Portrait.

You may need to try a factory reset (Settings/System/Clear Storage) or return the phone for a replacement. Remember a reset will wipe all your current data!

[Edit: sorry about the stretched 3rd image- forgot to change the aspect ratio of the image when resizing!]

post-207744-1243861260_thumb.png

post-207744-1243861279_thumb.png

post-207744-1243861289_thumb.png

Guest Shuflie

That looks like the BBC wap site or mobile view is switched on in opera, even so it should zoom in when you use the zoombar. Are you actually putting your finger or stylus on the - side of the zoom bar and moving it across to the + side, or are you just pressing on the + side? You need to swipe from one side to the other, if this isn't doing anything then there may be a hardware fault with your phone. To make sure you are looking at the right website open settings in Opera and under display make sure that mobile view is unticked. You could also try increasing the minimum font size when you're in there, but to be honest I have mine set to the smallest and have no problems.

• 3 weeks later...