Install APKs on your device by double clicking on your PC with installAPK [Beta 1]

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul

Android is really great, but there a few points of Android ownership that are a bit of a pain... one of which is installing APKs on your device. Enter installAPK!

The current release is Beta 1 - usual Beta caveats apply!

What it does

installAPK is currently for Windows only. After installation on your machine, you can double click APK files to install them on your USB attached android device. Simple as that!

Where do I get it?

Download the install EXE here - Setup.installAPK.EXE

If you are prompted for USB drivers when you connect your device, you can get those here - usbdriver.zip

Anything else I should know?

This is the first Beta, tested on XP, Vista and Windows 7, but please post here with any issues! <_<

P

PS Android SDK download / install is NOT required!

PPS More APK related fun coming from me soon, watch this forum! :)

installAPKscreenshot.png

Guest Webreaper
Android is really great, but there a few points of Android ownership that are a bit of a pain... one of which is installing APKs on your device.

Don't get you. Most of the file explorers I've tried just allow you to install by double-tapping. For example, I use Astro - just browse to the APK, and click the file and you get a properties page with an 'install' button.

Also, there's AppsInstaller which finds all the APK files on your device and gives a one-click install.

You're making unnecessary work for yourself, Paul. <_<

Guest Paul

Yeah, they run on your device - this runs on your desktop. No need to copy the file to your device, browse, double tap... just double click the APK on your desktop.

P

• 1 month later...
Guest silverfoxdemars

hello,

I have windows vista and a HTC magic device.

When I double click on an apk file on muy computer, USB driver are required. Can you tell me where to copy those drivers please?

THX

Silverfoxdemars

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest amd3000

Hi Paul,

Forgive me asking but i am very new to android. Does my T-Mobile pulse need to be 'Rooted' to use this software or can i just install any .apk file using your software ?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by amd3000

Guest scollie
I'll do a refresh this week!

P

Hi Paul

On Win 7 X64, when I launch installAPK I get a continuous waiting icon.

Launching Task Manager shows that the application installAPK is running but it never actually opens up and when I click on the processes tab in TM I can see it is just continually spawning more and more processes. I've tried to kill the processes but it is launching new ones faster than I can kill them so I end up rebooting my PC.

I'll try re-installing when you release your update and let you know what happens then.

Cheers

Stan

Guest iceman3co

Hello all. First time poster here!! :)

I to am having trouble installing the usb drivers. i see in the device manage that an other devices by the name of 'Nexus One' but when i click 'update drivers' and navigate to the drivers in the link above, but windows 7 says that 'windows was unable to install you Nexus One'. my N1 is rooted and has your custom ROM installed. i am trying to reinstall the wireless tether. in other posts that i have read with the same issue you suggested to re-install it. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest armyturtle

This crap crashed my machine. After installation I double-clicked on the .apk file I wanted to install and the InstallAPK desktop app ran itself about 30 or more times in my task manager. My mouse cursor became the arrow with the wait/timer circle next to it (which is what prompted me to check the task manager). I shut down the computer and tried to restart and instead of booting I got a blue screen with "BAD_POOL_HEADER" on the top line.

I had to restart in Safe Mode and uninstall this application before it would allow me to boot back into Windows 7 normal mode.

Running:

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

12 GB of RAM

No thank you to the potential issues associated with this garbage.

Guest dreamwing1986

MP4 is a popular video format for most of portable players, enjoying favorite videos on MP4 player or other devices as iPod, PS3 is more and more popular. Then have you met any trouble in enjoying MTS videos with these excellent devices? Now you can clear the troubles with the help of MTS to Mp4 Converter to Convert MTS to MP4.

Want to play MTS video on 3GP player such as your beautiful interface iPhone 3G? Looking for the MTS to 3GP Converter? How to watch MTS video on 3GP player? How to Convert MTS to 3GP? Aren't able to convert the MTS to 3GP? Try this powerful MTS Converter to complete these conversion for you.

Guest johnluckey

I have windows 7 64 bit and cannot run it either. I need this program because I dont have a file browser on my nexus and cant download the apps from the net using my phone. installing them once they are on the SD card is the only way I can do it. Any help? THNX, your custom ROM rocks paul!!

• 5 months later...
Guest jaffa1980

Just a bit of a bump, just got a samsung monte as my first android phone but cant get any apk files to install.

I'm using windows Vista64 got the same issues as above with multiple instances launching.

Would love some advice on how to use android market or get this up and running, complete newbie and cant find a download/install button on the market or anywhere else and get really quite frustrated lol

PLEASE any help would be great

• 2 months later...
Guest Emexrulsier

I too am getting the usb driver issue. I use my phone daily so already have some drivers installed for kies I have no offer connecton method to try with these drivers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xxbee22xx
Android is really great, but there a few points of Android ownership that are a bit of a pain... one of which is installing APKs on your device. Enter installAPK!

The current release is Beta 1 - usual Beta caveats apply!

What it does

installAPK is currently for Windows only. After installation on your machine, you can double click APK files to install them on your USB attached android device. Simple as that!

Where do I get it?

Download the install EXE here - Setup.installAPK.EXE

If you are prompted for USB drivers when you connect your device, you can get those here - usbdriver.zip

Anything else I should know?

This is the first Beta, tested on XP, Vista and Windows 7, but please post here with any issues! :)

P

PS Android SDK download / install is NOT required!

PPS More APK related fun coming from me soon, watch this forum! :)

installAPKscreenshot.png

Won't open, Mydrivers are all upto date says no android device connected but it is.

windows 7

Orange San Francisco

plus App market stuck on "starting Download..."

any ideas? :(

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest DazzyBox

I cant get it to work either. I have all the current drivers as I have just ran an update. Malwarebytes has found it contains a Trojan.!!!! NOT GOOD!!!!

• 3 months later...