Omnia: full off bugs and worst user experience ever

Guest zappa2

Guest zappa2

Hi,

before I will smash my Omnia to the wall, I want to share the issues it has with you all:

- Crappy GPS receiver that locks only after half an hour without extensive tweaks. (or use expensive A GPS)

- Battery life of half an hour when using GPS (serious)

- Shares charging connection with audio/video data, which renders it useless for many applications. (battery dies..)

- Un-optimized Windows mobile interface, causing many unwanted programs launches etc. and uses

many small crosses and ok's to close applications / confirm stuff.

- Is very picky on what it charges on. Even gave trouble with a Samsung branded car charger!!!

- Very few official updates from Samsung.

- Buggy picture and audio file / media browser.

- Can only access memory card with usb connection to PC

- After some time phone will get very slow.

- Call menu will not turn to landscape mode.

etc. etc. etc.

In other words: if you are used to a normal phone with buttons, this phone might frustrate the hell out of you.

Please be warned.

I know that you could tweak the hell out of this phone, but I you don't want to spends days and days on this,

the phone will keep sucking big time. (after tweaking too imo)

Lately Samsung is only spending money to marketing and releases crappy phones like this.

They do not understand the meaning of a good out of the box user experience.

Bye,

zappa

Edited by zappa2

Guest vinbeaver
Hi,

before I will smash my Omnia to the wall, I want to share the issues it has with you all:

- Crappy GPS receiver that locks only after half an hour without extensive tweaks. (or use expensive A GPS)

- Shares charging connection with audio/video data, which renders it useless for many applications. (battery dies..)

- Un-optimized Windows mobile interface, causing many unwanted programs launches etc. and uses

- Is very picky on what it charges on. Even gave trouble with a Samsung branded car charger!!!

etc. etc. etc.

In other words: if you are used to a normal phone with buttons, this phone might frustrate the hell out of you.

Please be warned.

I know that you could tweak the hell out of this phone, but I you don't want to spends days and days on this,

Lately Samsung is only spending money to marketing and releases crappy phones like this.

Bye,

zappa

You could probably take your bad attitude elsewhere... those of us here love our phone and are quite happy with it.  So in the meantime go smash your phone into the wall.  Enjoi!

Guest necosino

+1 for you smashing your phone and going away :D

Flashing a custom ROM takes all of 15-20 mins, tops, and that's for people that have no idea what they're doing.

Most of your points aren't even valid (Can't access SD card? Use the file explorer), others are related to WinMo 6.1 when the vast majority of us are using WinMo 6.5.

Knowledge is power, and without knowledge, yes, this phone would be very frustrating ;)

Guest Tim-H

Another "omnia sucks" thread? I thought we had one of these. I'll share my experience with each of your issues, just so someone trying to do some research doesn't come across this and sway themselves.

-GPS locks on in under 2 minutes most of the time around 30 seconds, with no tweaks or A-gps. Just windows mobile 6.5

-Battery life is very good for me. I've run the gps for about an hour a couple days ago and it drained maybe 30% of the battery life.

-charging connection sharing connection with audio, solution = bluetooth, with video, seems more like a novelty to me but at any rate the phone comes packaged with an adapter to plug your charger, video out, wired headset, and headphones all at the same time.

-User interface, Some people dont like windows 6.1 I didnt have a problem at all with it. Windows 6.5 is really easy and I like it too. I can hit the x and ok/cancel boxes with my thumb, so i think its finger friendly enough.

-Not sure why the OP had an issue with the charger. Mine charges on anything. I bought a car charger at best buy with a multi head adapter, didn't even have the omnia listed on the devices but it works perfect.

-It's true there are very few updates, but I don't see any major issues they should devote all their time to releasing updates to all the time.

-Never had an issue browsing any media files at all. It has been perfect in that regard.

-How else would you access your storage memory? Doesn't seem like an issue to me at all. If you mean removeable memory card then that is just a false statement. You can remove the memory and plug it into a card reader.

-Don't install applications onto the windows partition, restart your phone every once in a while. Close all applications when you arent using them and it wont slow down on you.

-Call menu, like the dialer? My dialer goes into landscape. Contacts menu? That goes to landscape too. Missed call menu turns to landscape. I'm not sure what the OP means but all the items related to making calls turns to landscape for me.

Again. Never had a problem running windows 6.1, and the only "tweak" i have is a 6.5 ROM installed.

I don't know why the OP had so many problems but it is not anything that i have experienced.

Guest jhils1

He has a point-it is a bit cr*p, looks good, great camera, but not very user friendly. No where near enough RAM, should be 256. Cant believe how UN-intuitive WM Pro is compared to Std/Smartphone edition, takes so long to do anything. Touch screens are a fad, phone entry pad best for hand held use.

Guest Turborepu

LOL.. what a whiner..

I have used Igo8 to keep me on track driving from junction tx to houston, phone not plugged in, and it still had 40 percent battery left, after a 5 hour drive.

if programs are turning on on their own maybe you didnt set them properly, or dont know how to use the phone/lock lol.

sounds like a cryphone fanboy to me. if tweaking or configuring the phone is too much hassle you are definately in the wrong place. Winmo phones are capable in the hands of people who are willing to use them properly.

Guest skyhawk21

I would be willing to sell mine only had it since april 09

how much are people willing to pay for this thing?

mine is starting to annoy me too, i have my old phone which is a lg chocolate ver 1 latest firmware and revision and its so simple to operater that phone when all u want to do is use it as a phone and like the topic starter said on mine i go to answer a call takes 5 seconds to goto answer menu then once im done i go to close the window of the dialer and when i hit x it closes that automatically loads the dam clock then i got to close that and then manually turn off screen so nothing else gets touched so it loads.. it was fun and cool and all but now annoying... willing to sell and ship

Guest necosino
I would be willing to sell mine only had it since april 09

how much are people willing to pay for this thing?

mine is starting to annoy me too, i have my old phone which is a lg chocolate ver 1 latest firmware and revision and its so simple to operater that phone when all u want to do is use it as a phone and like the topic starter said on mine i go to answer a call takes 5 seconds to goto answer menu then once im done i go to close the window of the dialer and when i hit x it closes that automatically loads the dam clock then i got to close that and then manually turn off screen so nothing else gets touched so it loads.. it was fun and cool and all but now annoying... willing to sell and ship

I'll trade you for my Moto Q9M. VGA screen (non-touch), wifi, GPS, WinMo 6.1 (but not touch, lol) It's a nice little thing, but can't stand up to the Omina, IMO. Oh, also if you're on Verizon, you won't have to get a data plan with the Moto Q9M since it was released before they started being evil(er).

Guest Adrynalyne

I'll trade you my Samsung u540.

Small, uncomplicated, and perfect for the easily confused.

Edited by Adrynalyne

Guest skyhawk21

ok guys i dont want another phone for a new phone i payed money for that was to replace an older phone i have sitting on my desk, I would like to sell the omnia if someone can make a reasonable offer, I do have the original box and accessories and power adapter with extra car charger and everything. we can use paypal for safety reasons, and im up in wa state!

Guest Adrynalyne
ok guys i dont want another phone for a new phone i payed money for that was to replace an older phone i have sitting on my desk, I would like to sell the omnia if someone can make a reasonable offer, I do have the original box and accessories and power adapter with extra car charger and everything. we can use paypal for safety reasons, and im up in wa state!

50 dollars.

Guest skyhawk21

@AD I know you know better than that!!! the invoice that came in the box with it says it retails for almost 600buxs I had to pay for it even with two year renewal.. so 50 buxs aint gonna cut it

especially with 8gb ram on board and an 8gb sdhc class 6 in the sd slot

50 dollars.

Guest fritzprezz
Hi,

etc. etc. etc.

Please be warned.

Bye,

zappa

now i get it.. maybe you're one of the iphone fanatic sh1T,, hahaha.. loooser... winmo phones is the best... and thats omnia... htc.. and others.. get lost fAGG..

you dont even have your own business to run to.. so stop te crap on samsung.... loosah... go home and frink your madah load of @#@#@$ :D

ohh btw, im using my omnia for 6 months.. and im contended... my colleagues... sell there non-winmo phones.. like iprawn.. hhahahaha

Edited by fritzprezz

Guest bawdiest

I own my omnia since october 2008 and I have to say, that omnia and other winmo phones are not reliable. There are really a lot of bugs. Phone for 400€ shouldnt have so many bugs. If you correct the one, you discover another or get 3rd one.

Look at this forum and count how many topics concern buggs, fixes, errors etc. There are a lot.

I think its stupid to say all the time omnia is the best and we love our omnia. It is fanatic. Iphone users are like that.

Guest Mistergino

i am very happy with my omnia, got winmo 6.5. it looks good, have many apps/ hacks, fast, only battery is a problem to me, but i havent try to do something about it.......

Guest bpivk
I own my omnia since october 2008 and I have to say, that omnia and other winmo phones are not reliable. There are really a lot of bugs. Phone for 400€ shouldnt have so many bugs. If you correct the one, you discover another or get 3rd one.

Look at this forum and count how many topics concern buggs, fixes, errors etc. There are a lot.

I think its stupid to say all the time omnia is the best and we love our omnia. It is fanatic. Iphone users are like that.

No phone is perfect but you can tweak some phones to perfection. I have to say that I never found one bug that bothered me and i don't know if it even was a bug. And 6.5 roms are great but you can't expect a rom to be bug free if it's home cooked.

You can decide if you want a phone that you can tweak (and also break with the tweaks) then go for winmo or android. If you just want a phone go for symbian or iphone.