Why GPS works for some and not others

Guest xm81bpm

Guest xm81bpm

I have been searching through the GPS threads and notice some people get their GPS working right away and some don't. I personally can not get my GPS working. I (believe) i have tried everything the threads suggested but no luck. I just keep getting GPS weak signal.

Here's what i already did:

Flashed CC20

Used Adrynalyne's ROM, now im on BlazingWolf

Location is ON

Went under a clear sky (i also have a Sprint HTC Diamond and i can get a GPS lock in under 30 seconds).

Com8 and 57600 and also let windows manage

All these - Quick gps.cab, HTC_QuickGPS-patched.CAB, GPS Quick Position.cab

Im not connected to USBWhen i use Google maps it says "seeking GPS satellites (176291136)" (the numbers change each time i try) then it times out and says weak signal.

It's frustrating as i am deciding whether to keep my verizon (omnia) service. If i can get GPS working i would dump my diamond and sprint. Any ideas?

Edited by xm81bpm

Guest blazingwolf
I have been searching through the GPS threads and notice some people get their GPS working right away and some don't. I personally can not get my GPS working. I (believe) i have tried everything the threads suggested but no luck. I just keep getting GPS weak signal.

Here's what i already did:

Flashed CC20

Used Adrynalyne's ROM, now im on BlazingWolf

Location is ON

Went under a clear sky (i also have a Sprint HTC Diamond and i can get a GPS lock in under 30 seconds).

Com8 and 57600 and also let windows manage

All these - Quick gps.cab, HTC_QuickGPS-patched.CAB, GPS Quick Position.cab

Im not connected to USBWhen i use Google maps it says "seeking GPS satellites (176291136)" (the numbers change each time i try) then it times out and says weak signal.

It's frustrating as i am deciding whether to keep my verizon (omnia) service. If i can get GPS working i would dump my diamond and sprint. Any ideas?

The other programs might not help you get a lock. I know they don't work for me. The only thing that works for my first lock is time. After a flash the other day I turned Igo on and then walk away from the phone for about 15 minutes. came back and it had finally locked. Typical times for my first lock range from 10 to 15 minutes using any GPS program. Locks after that first one are faster but still take about a minute.

I think a lot depends on where you live.

Guest xm81bpm

After a frustrating week i finally got a GPS lock!!! what a relief...for some reason it was my locations that couldn't get that first lock. After i did get the first lock it now works with no problem. looks like i will be dumping my sucky service sprint and my battery hog of a phone the htc diamond. Thanks for your help.

The other programs might not help you get a lock. I know they don't work for me. The only thing that works for my first lock is time. After a flash the other day I turned Igo on and then walk away from the phone for about 15 minutes. came back and it had finally locked. Typical times for my first lock range from 10 to 15 minutes using any GPS program. Locks after that first one are faster but still take about a minute.

I think a lot depends on where you live.

Guest jaycarl

I hear alot about GPS taking several minutes to lock on to sats but I never have this problem.

After a flash it takes me no longer then 1 minute to get a first lock and about 15 to 30 seconds after that.

Everytime I try to get a lock I am driving so that might be the difference. Plus I heard from a few people that trying to get a lock while driving is much faster.

Guest blazingwolf
I hear alot about GPS taking several minutes to lock on to sats but I never have this problem.

After a flash it takes me no longer then 1 minute to get a first lock and about 15 to 30 seconds after that.

Everytime I try to get a lock I am driving so that might be the difference. Plus I heard from a few people that trying to get a lock while driving is much faster.

Actually it is much slower.

Guest omniaK
Actually it is much slower.

for some reason I also cant get a lock when im just standing. could be a perfect clear day in LA and not 1 satalite...as soon at im in my car driving, I always get at least 4 satalites...

Guest wildrage

When talking about how long it takes you to get 'lock' you need to also tell us what program you are using. VZNavigator uses AGPS, which should take only 30-60secs to get lock. aGPS uses cellular towers to triangulate your position and find the satellites much much faster. Every other program uses standard GPS, which has taken me anywhere from 2mins to 10mins to get a lock. There are also other factors, like the time of day, weather conditions, and the current position of satellites in comparisson to where they were the last time you used GPS.

To anyone saying they are getting a non-assisted GPS signal in 10-15 seconds, I would say that you either had a lock not too long ago, and the GPS is still 'warm' or you aren't really using standalone GPS (VZNavigator instead). Try doing a soft reset then using something like Google Maps or TomTom, and then tell us how long it takes to get a lock.

Edited by wildrage

Guest yojoe600

gps can take a long time to work... mine fluctuates a whole lot.. sometimes its 30 sec to a minute and then sometimes its 3-5 minutes

Guest balaams_ass
for some reason I also cant get a lock when im just standing. could be a perfect clear day in LA and not 1 satalite...as soon at im in my car driving, I always get at least 4 satalites...

I have encountered the same.

Guest Ferrettas

Short version...

Just a thought that took me seven hours to find, but after finding it took less then >minute to lock and worked great otherwise.

Is your location set to 911 only or to Always on.

When your driving..or let say "tower hopping" to maintain service. I'm assuming you will get a ping to get a new tower and thus get a faster fix. if your signal is good it doesn't GET the tower information again for existing AGPS positioning. Data connections ping tower info too...Google and live maps ping info. which could explain variances in times...did you phone check for email in that 15 minuttes?

With the location on you always pinging for your location.

Long Version...

I'm very patient and have been Verison stock to date, using a BT GPS I got for my Axim X50v. Just installed CF03 today.

I have loaded google maps and Live Search. both of these would locate me in the area...I.e. google reports being actuate to 1400 meters...useless.

I also have OCN8 and was using the "GPS" setup info to track. if any satellite info was even being recieved With the 911 only. it detected the GPS on port 8 @56700 baud. without the data connection active. no satellites detected in OCN8. been doing a lot of registry mods and forum searching still no luck...finnally found a thread I can't find again to give credit to but ":ocation - Alway on" Satellite

Start-->Settings --.Personal-->Phone, click on Services tab, tap GPS -->Change Settings. click Location on. You'll get some warnings.

Took about thirty seconds of "pinging four satellites" to lock and having lost position yet acturate to 30 meters, not as good as my BT 3 meters acurate, but not having to carry another piece of equiptment is good.

just my 2 cents plus a nickel.

<<<<<<<< BEST OF LUCK >>>>>>>>

ferret_tas

I