Once verizon DOES finaly give us an update...

Guest level140

Guest wildrage

**DELETED**

I'm not going to get into an argument. People have the right to their oppinion, and just because some people prefer a stock ROM to a cooked one, doesn't mean that they don't know what they're talking about...it just means that they don't like the customizations.

Edited by wildrage

Guest necosino

The startup and shutdown .gif's can be changed very easily, it takes 30 seconds.

As for Lisbian Taskbar, I didn't care for it either, but it's easy to replace the old icons and have it back to standard. Most of your arguments are simply about personal preference, which is fine. Don't use the ROM then ;)

Guest Fecious

:Picard: @ anyone who thinks Verizons official update will be better than these cooked ROMs.

These ROMs are the reason this phone was created.

Guest necosino
:Picard: @ anyone who thinks Verizons official update will be better than these cooked ROMs.

These ROMs are the reason this phone was created.

No, $$$$ is the reason this phone was created...

Guest Majorair32

New user here but I have been running bgill's roms and I would never go back to the memory hog stock rom with crappy winmo 6.1 interface. As far as stable goes I have flashed to bgill's 3.4 rom and have not had to reset my phone yet and my battery will last for almost two full days with 2 email syncs ever 30 minutes and average txt and net usage. Just my two cents

Guest Lisbian08

Its different strokes for different folks. The custom ROMs are definitely better and more customizable than the vanilla cc20. That being said, if CC20 is what you like, have at it. I would pick your words a bit more carefully, and remember this. Almost everyone that contributes in this forum will bend over backwards to fix or tweak something that is wrong in their ROM or particular program. I challenge Samsung and Verizon to equal that!!!! ;)

Guest xenspidey

I know i agree with a lot of what everyone here has said. I've flashed about every version of every cook's ROM's and don't see myself going back to CC20. That being said i'm still excited to see the update and will most likely flash to it (provided i can go back to CC20 afterwards if need be.) Maybe the "official" gps unlock will include aGPS, i know that would make it worth it for me. Plus i'd love to see camera and battery life improvements. Hopefully with the new update a new kitchen will appear that the amashing chefs here and at ppcgeeks can tweak like they did with the CC20. I'm a bleeding edge kinda guy so i'll try it out when it comes by. If for no other reasons it'd be nice to have so if i need to take my phone to Verizon they won't question the ROM version!

I guess we'll all just have to wait and see. 

Guest Eschelon

Reasons why a user may want the official Verizon update:

1) Updated radio

2) Better GPS functionality (possibly). A-GPS wasn't enabled in the official ROM updates for the TP or the Saga, but Verizon did mention "Enhanced GPS functionality"... Perhaps they will do some software tweaks to make GPS lock faster. Who knows

3) Bug fixes still present in CC20 that can't be edited by chefs

4) A finally, perhaps the biggest reason people may be holding out for the official upgrade: Verizon still has to honor the warranty. If you're already on a cooked ROM and need to take the phone back for whatever reason, you can re-flash the phone to the official firmware and Verizon won't know that you've breached the warranty contract.

Personally, I flashed to CC20 months ago and haven't looked back since. But I think the original poster was simply asking that, if a user wanted to flash to the official ROM for any or all of the above reasons, would they be able to flash to it as a base and then flash the PDA part of the firmware to a cooked ROM from Adryn, Wozzer, BW, Bgill, etc...

And to be honest, I have been wondering the same thing. Any chefs willing to shed some light on this?

Guest blazingwolf
Personally, I flashed to CC20 months ago and haven't looked back since. But I think the original poster was simply asking that, if a user wanted to flash to the official ROM for any or all of the above reasons, would they be able to flash to it as a base and then flash the PDA part of the firmware to a cooked ROM from Adryn, Wozzer, BW, Bgill, etc...

And to be honest, I have been wondering the same thing. Any chefs willing to shed some light on this?

Yes. You should be able to. Unless they, Verizon and Samsung, specifically change things to try and keep us out.

Guest Eschelon
Yes. You should be able to. Unless they, Verizon and Samsung, specifically change things to try and keep us out.

Thanks for the reply.

Now, who wants to be the guinea pig and test to see if a cooked 6.5 ROM works with the official update when/if it comes out, or if they've hard-wired it to brick the phone ;)

Edited by Eschelon

Guest level140
Oh I'll definitely be the first to test it out ;) My case is all scratched up, I could use a new one :D

Don't you mean you need a new paperweight..

Guest Tim-H
The startup and shutdown .gif's can be changed very easily, it takes 30 seconds.

As for Lisbian Taskbar, I didn't care for it either, but it's easy to replace the old icons and have it back to standard. Most of your arguments are simply about personal preference, which is fine. Don't use the ROM then ;)

I don't have 30 seconds! I'm too busy turning my phone on and off to watch the animations, no time to change them!!!!!!

Seriously? Startup and shutdown animation reason enough to not use a cooked ROM. Must be some really picky people out there.

Guest blazingwolf
Darn. Does hard reseting put it back? I wouldn't think so...

It will return to the last installed ROM. SO if you put CC20 on then it is impossible to go further back then that.

Guest level140
It will return to the last installed ROM. SO if you put CC20 on then it is impossible to go further back then that.

I assumed. I don't want to go back, but if I ever needed to complain to verizon about my phone breaking, it would be nice to be able to put it back so they don't know.

Guest gayflag
Your kidding right? The cooked ROMs are more stable than anything Verizon has put out whether official or not.

I agree with this 100%. If you dont like what the community has so generously offered for your mobile phone, feel more than free to stick with the stock 6.1 firmware.

Personally, i cannot stand the 6.1 look and feel. It has the look and feel of using win98, then upgrading to XP. When i first got my phone, i remembered entering my contacts, then every day i would scroll through the list and watch the names 'skip' by, i just hated thinking, 'really now, this is a piece of crap device.' $560 msrp and i can't even scroll smoothly through a list. Superb... Atleast with 6.5 roms, you can make your smartphone actually, feel like an intelligent device ;)

Guest ChillyCat
I have lockup problems with most of the roms(spare me the "I dont know what I'm doing speech").

Lockups, huh ???

Nope......never had a lockup.....never

emot96.gif Ya certain you know what yer doing ? emot96.gif