German Toshiba TG01 Ships with virus preinstalled

Guest oalex

Guest oalex

News Link:

German O2’s Toshiba TG01 ships with virus preinstalled

This one should probably be filed under the “weird news” category, but it’s pretty interesting nonetheless.

According to German publication Inside-Handy.de, the new Windows Mobile communicator Toshiba TG01, that has been selling on O2 Germany since the beginning of July, comes with a virus pre-installed in it’ memory.

O2 spokesman Albert Fetsch has acknowledged the problem and said that it affects only a few devices.

Toshiba-TG01-Virus.jpg

Currently the sales of Toshiba TG01 on O2 Germany have been halted and customers who have bought the smartphone are invited to contact customer service.

O2 is currently assessing the impact of the problem and can not provide any solution yet. Though more info should be forthcoming this afternoon.

Guest SinSilla

Please stop spreading that rumor! 

The problem is that the 8GB SD-Card which came with the Phone has been wrong formatted (you could only use 1GB of 8GB).

It´s a bigger problem for the casual user, but the power users had that issue solved day 1.

Guest oalex
Please stop spreading that rumor!

The problem is that the 8GB SD-Card which came with the Phone has been wrong formatted (you could only use 1GB of 8GB).

It´s a bigger problem for the casual user, but the power users had that issue solved day 1.

Sorry mate, I was hoping you will check out the original German news as you speak greman. I only saw this english summary

Edited by oalex

Guest SinSilla

Maybe my request was a bit harsh, sorry for that Oalex! :D

Trust me, i have read all comments and news on this s***, and it´s unbelievable. This thing is spreading out so fast. It´s hard enough to get people interested in the TG01, and now everyone is making fun of it on top of that. 

That´s what may have happened or not: 

There has been an official e-mail going around O2 internally, which said that there was an Virus and that the sales should be halted. That has been told by a German Forum Member and employee of O2.

Two other O2 employees on another forum haven´t heard of any virus, they said the reason that the disposal of the TG01 was halted was due to a malformatted sd-card (it came with preinstalled navigation software, thats where it may have happened).

I honestly believe that both versions are true, but at the time that mail got sent, they didn´t knew s*** about the reason for the loss of 7Gig on the sd-card (and so does Mr. Fetsch). So maybe a Virus was the most obvious thing to go for?

As a result of this, the TG01 is now getting some serious mocking on top of it´s so so reputation. Great.  ;)

€: And i can just repeat, after setting it up properly, my phone is working just great. It´s all working fast and it handles smooth. And it´s what the review said, despite it´s size, you can hardly feel that you´ve got in your pocket. Amazing!

Of course, i had to soft reset it from time to time, but only because i´m into such things and tried out a lot of stuff. But i tend to forget that there are other customers who are using it with default settings...which is truly a bad idea considering the price of the tg01.

€2: Hmpf, rumor seems to be true, bunch of people have posted that they have found a virus. Last time i defended you TG01, that was quite emberassing...

Edited by SinSilla

Guest Borce Georgiev

Maybe there's real virus :D But one thing, my gps nav device becker 79xx came with virus ;) Kaspersky detected virus in shell.exe

Also some ipods were detected with virus and nothing. Sales continued, people were happy, everything was ok. I think this won't affect any sales rates. But still need a lot of development for this phone, custom rom, hspl etc

Edited by Borce Georgiev