does aGPS work?

Guest vradi

Guest vradi

I'm not very good with figuring out how everything works, but I updated to the new firmware, loaded google maps, and noticed it found my location as soon as it started up even though I am inside at work and can't get a GPS signal.

Is this aGPS, or just something else working as expected?

Guest Majorair32
I'm not very good with figuring out how everything works, but I updated to the new firmware, loaded google maps, and noticed it found my location as soon as it started up even though I am inside at work and can't get a GPS signal.

When you say you upgraded to the new firmware you mean the one that samsung is released for verizon? Can you pull batt and restart to google and get location at boot. As can you test bing and see if locate me works.

Edited by Majorair32

Guest bigdaddykane

agps works for me actual gps chip is taking its sweet time to load..... (your location within 2200 meters)

When you say you upgraded to the new firmware you mean the one that samsung is released for verizon? Can you pull batt and restart to google and get location at boot. As can you test bing and see if locate me works.
Edited by bigdaddykane

Guest Lisbian08

It is AGPS working. On Google maps you can see it making a data connection if you don't already have one connected. After that you get the gross approximation of your location. Also after messing around awhile, Locate me on Bing search is working. This works off of AGPS as well.

Guest hyperspaztik

aGPS worked for me as soon as I updated it, but I then flashed with someone's 6.5 and it no longer worked, so I guess we need to wait for them to build off CF03 before we can see aGPS work within mobile 6.5.

Guest Adrynalyne
aGPS worked for me as soon as I updated it, but I then flashed with someone's 6.5 and it no longer worked, so I guess we need to wait for them to build off CF03 before we can see aGPS work within mobile 6.5.

I have it working in 6.5 ;)

Guest jcortes
I have it working in 6.5 ;)

I have never tried your ROMs or even liked 6.5 ROMs until i used yours today. Great job man its very nice and clean im really enjoying it. Great work with how fast you got it up and running as well.

Guest dmk679
I'm using your rom Adrynalyne how do I know if the agps is working?? I still get a slow lock

I am running Adryn's WM6.5 rom (nice rom!). When running google maps, you should get a lock fairly fast but it will cover a big area (this is the assisted-GPS part). Over time the GPS will lock on and the area will decrease in size as it locks onto sats.

Guest vradi
It is AGPS working. On Google maps you can see it making a data connection if you don't already have one connected. After that you get the gross approximation of your location. Also after messing around awhile, Locate me on Bing search is working. This works off of AGPS as well.

how did you get locate me to work in bing? Mine keeps either pop a message after about 2 seconds saying it cannot locate me.. or it ships me off to Takoradi

Edited by vradi

Guest semmtexx
how did you get locate me to work in bing? Mine keeps either pop a message after about 2 seconds saying it cannot locate me.. or it ships me off to Takoradi

Ditto for me on Bing wether using com 8 or intermediate driver. Also, Google maps only gives me the my location within 2300 meters but never a lock on either com 8 or managed by windows. I have tested inseveral areas outside. I'm do sick of this crap. The same thing happened with cc20. I NEVER GOT A LOCK. i basically gave up on GPS and said screw it because i have a magellan but still to think that everyone is getting a lock still makes me mad. WHAT the heck is wrong with my omnia?!?!

Guest jtoso

on the new official verizon ROM aGPS works great for me. No other mods at all. Just go into connection settings and make sure Location On is selected, not 911. Now I get locked on right away and withing 50 Meters!

Guest Fogfire

Google Maps defaults to using Cellular Location so works to some degree even without your GPS.

Bing is GPS only which is what I am seeing in the behavior. The GPS seems to always do a "cold start" it doesn't cache any location info to send out until locks etc. Bing is not smart enough to know that if you are getting a location of 0,0 that should be ignored and the last location used until GPS locks. So it keeps sending us to the Atlantic off the coast of Africa..

So Bing will take a minute or two to lock.. then for a while it can lock quickly. Either the GPS stays on for a bit of remembers enough to help speed the lock if hit hasn't been off for too long.

I haven't tested to see what this does to battery drain, but I downloaded this Today gadget "GPS Toggle" that can be used to keep the GPS on and tells you the status (strength and number of satellites locks) This speeds the other apps getting the right info when you move in and out of GPS reception.

What I would like to find is a tool like virtual GPS that creates a software AGPS that looks like a regular GPS that uses both Cell Tower data and GPS data to keep programs like Bing at least close and out of the Atlantic Ocean of less than short swims. ;)

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-download-gps-toggle.html

Guest treid71

Can anyone confirm if the GPS is actually working (i.e. enabled) in CF03? I have tried all afternoon to get a satellite lock but was only able to get aGPS location info via Google Maps. Bing wouldn't work at all due to the GPS not locking satellites. The GPS is set to "Location On" and I've even tried yanking the battery and multiple soft resets to no avail.

BTW, I'm running BW's most recent CF03 6.5 Titanium ROM.

Guest blazingwolf
Can anyone confirm if the GPS is actually working (i.e. enabled) in CF03? I have tried all afternoon to get a satellite lock but was only able to get aGPS location info via Google Maps. Bing wouldn't work at all due to the GPS not locking satellites. The GPS is set to "Location On" and I've even tried yanking the battery and multiple soft resets to no avail.

Yes, it is enabled in all of the ROMs using CF03.

Guest steven_32568
Ditto for me on Bing wether using com 8 or intermediate driver. Also, Google maps only gives me the my location within 2300 meters but never a lock on either com 8 or managed by windows. I have tested inseveral areas outside. I'm do sick of this crap. The same thing happened with cc20. I NEVER GOT A LOCK. i basically gave up on GPS and said screw it because i have a magellan but still to think that everyone is getting a lock still makes me mad. WHAT the heck is wrong with my omnia?!?!

I never got TomTom7 to work on my i910 but then i try iGO8 and it lock right on a is working good. here is a link to get it

http://igo8.gpssoftware.us/

Guest Fogfire

yes, but you can't restore a back up from the earlier version of the ROM and you may need to do full factory reset.

I learned this last night. I made an SPB Back up PRE CF02, I was running the last official ROM. Used it after the update and the GPS was never reliable..

So then I did a Hard Reset to Factory. GPs worked great. and installed everything I wanted.. but couldn't remember a setting for one email account. So did a restore of the pre FC03 setting in ROM UPGRADE mode. Then I did a hard reset only on the main memory and restored the back of that backup been built on the clean CF03.. today no GPS.. seek forever.. nothing.

So I bit the bullet and did a clean to factory again...

GPS came back. So there was a setting the PRE CF03 back up picked up that when restored killed my GPS even through a hard reset of the main mem. I had go back to Factory the only restore a back up that was built on a CLEAN post CF03 setup.

Guest treid71
yes, but you can't restore a back up from the earlier version of the ROM and you may need to do full factory reset.

I learned this last night. I made an SPB Back up PRE CF02, I was running the last official ROM. Used it after the update and the GPS was never reliable..

So then I did a Hard Reset to Factory. GPs worked great. and installed everything I wanted.. but couldn't remember a setting for one email account. So did a restore of the pre FC03 setting in ROM UPGRADE mode. Then I did a hard reset only on the main memory and restored the back of that backup been built on the clean CF03.. today no GPS.. seek forever.. nothing.

GPS came back. So there was a setting the PRE CF03 back up picked up that when restored killed my GPS even through a hard reset of the main mem. I had go back to Factory the only restore a back up that was built on a CLEAN post CF03 setup.

That's the thing, I didn't restore from backup so there's no way anything carried over from CC20. This evening I managed to get a GPS lock but only after leaving my phone sit out on the deck for about an hour.

Edited by treid71

Guest AngusATAT

If you do a backup of just your contacts in SPB Backup, you should be fine. It's when you backup everything and try to restore that will give your Omnia a hissy fit.

Guest Fogfire
If you do a backup of just your contacts in SPB Backup, you should be fine. It's when you backup everything and try to restore that will give your Omnia a hissy fit.

Yes.. My bad on not being specific..I had to do the restore of settings to get an old setting.. I couldn't get right for a server.

Guest doitall76

Is there a difference in the the aGPS, and the GPS that we received from the CC20 Rom that we had before?

Are we able to go back to the CC20 Rom, if we flashed to the CF03?

Doitall76