CF03's aGPS vs. CC20's GPS

Guest doitall76

Guest doitall76

Is there a difference in the the aGPS, and the GPS that we received from the CC20 Rom that we had before?

Are we able to go back to the CC20 Rom, if we flashed to the CF03?

Doitall76

Guest necosino

Don't spam the same questing in multiple posts, seriously..

GPS is the same, aGPS is enabled for programs that are written to use it. You still need to do the same stuff as in CC20 to enable GPS, and wait to get a lock, etc etc etc.

Guest doitall76
Don't spam the same questing in multiple posts, seriously..

GPS is the same, aGPS is enabled for programs that are written to use it. You still need to do the same stuff as in CC20 to enable GPS, and wait to get a lock, etc etc etc.

I had realized that I placed it twice and messed up. I'm sorry for duplicating.

I notice that the CF03's aGPS places me within 2400 meters, where I used to get my location within 50 meters with the CC20.

In addition, it also states that it cannot locate satellites and can't find the GPS, even when I have "Location On" selected.

Doitall76

Guest necosino

It's the same exact procedure as CC20..

(Quoting myself from another thread)

Your first GPS lock will just take quite a while.

Make sure you go to settings - personal - phone - services - gps - location ON, and do a soft reset.

Then what I would do is download BAF GPS Toggle, it's a today plugin that allows you to turn on your GPS. Turn it on, and will start seeking satellites, then go outside and wait 10-20 minutes and see if GPS Toggle says seeking: #, or Locked: #. If it says locked, your GPS is locked and you should be able to use Google Maps, livesearch, w/e.

If it keeps saying seeking: #, then you may not be able to get a lock where you are, or if it says seeking: 0, either the gps isn't on (do another soft reset) or your reception area is REALLY bad, lol..

Guest bmn4711

aGPS stands for assisted GPS. It uses cell towers to triangulate your cell phone signal to find you. It gives you a general location. That's why it says "Within XXXX miles". It is what it says, assisted. This is separate from GPS. aGPS will give a general location then GPS will locate you. CC20 does not have aGPS unlocked. You would need the new official rom.

Guest Paul_Bunyan

I think the GPS is muched improved in the official ROM. I get full locks with at least 5 satelites all the time, even from a cold start, in no more than 3 minutes, usually less, with default settings, no monkeying around, it just works now.

My 2 cents :)

And of course aGPS is fully supported with the new rom as well and gets instant, approximated locks on to the cell towers.

Guest barnr
aGPS stands for assisted GPS. It uses cell towers to triangulate your cell phone signal to find you. It gives you a general location. That's why it says "Within XXXX miles". It is what it says, assisted. This is separate from GPS. aGPS will give a general location then GPS will locate you. CC20 does not have aGPS unlocked. You would need the new official rom.

If aGPS is supported for 3rd party apps then it is not yet being used. Google Maps and Bing will locate you to the nearest tower but it's not using aGPS because it is not triangulating nor using the aGPS servers to download the sat data to send to your phone.

Read the following for explanation: http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/gps_vs_a...k_tutorial.html

Guest ardvarkofdoom

Ok, aGPS will get you that 2400 meters... but you will STILL get that 50 meters from regular GPS in the official. Just set it up like you had it in cc20 and you're set... only difference is that you have aGPS to get you a general idea until full gps locks.

Guest pallen

The only difference I see is that you get a really rough (and somewhat useless) location instantly and then have to wait the same basic amount of time for a full lock. Its not like Verizon's Navigator, which gives you pretty much an instant location (but its free!)

Guest necosino

I have noticed that the aGPS we have is remarkably accurate. Google Maps, for example, says within 2500meter, but it can still notice my movement jogging around town Obviously it is more accurate, but google maps must realize that it's aGPS, thus is playing it safe with the "within xxxx meters" statement.

Guest barnr
The only difference I see is that you get a really rough (and somewhat useless) location instantly and then have to wait the same basic amount of time for a full lock. Its not like Verizon's Navigator, which gives you pretty much an instant location (but its free!)

VZNav gets an almost instant lock because it IS using aGPS while the other programs are not. The above do not understand aGPS and I posted a link to get a better understanding. Google maps IS NOT using aGPS to get the approximate location. It may be using an enhanced gps to locate the nearest tower but that's it. No triangulation and no using the aGPS servers.

Guest Adrynalyne
VZNav gets an almost instant lock because it IS using aGPS while the other programs are not. The above do not understand aGPS and I posted a link to get a better understanding. Google maps IS NOT using aGPS to get the approximate location. It may be using an enhanced gps to locate the nearest tower but that's it. No triangulation and no using the aGPS servers.

I disagree.

There are different types of aGPS.

One of them would be downloading sattelite location estimates.

Another is cell tower triangulation.

I assure you, Gmaps IS using that.

Guest barnr
I disagree.

There are different types of aGPS.

One of them would be downloading sattelite location estimates.

Another is cell tower triangulation.

I assure you, Gmaps IS using that.

OK...I'm gonna take your word because I highly respect your knowledge about these phones and how they work. So which is Gmaps using? I know that it locates me within a couple thousand meters but why is VZNav right on and in just a few seconds? Is it that VZ is greedy or is it that Gmaps just isn't updated to fully use that technology yet?

Edited by barnr

Guest Adrynalyne
OK...I'm gonna take your word because I highly respect your knowledge about these phones and how they work. So which is Gmaps using? I know that it locates me within a couple thousand meters but why is VZNav right on and in just a few seconds? Is it that VZ is greedy or is it that Gmaps just isn't updated to fully use that technology yet?

Honestly?

It wouldn't surprise me if VZNav is using more than one type of aGPS.

Cell tower triangulation is nice, but the reality of it is, it does not tell you where the sattelites are.

Now, offline aGPS would, through downloading location estimations.

VZNav certainly isn't just using cell tower triangulation, because on a seriously stormy day, I've had it act up.

Don't take my word because of what I do for the community, I am not perfect, nor always right.

Edited by Adrynalyne