The official Acer M900 "Ask Chris..." thread!

Guest Monolithix

Guest Monolithix

[teaser]

26-Jul-2009_m900.jpg
Acer announced their new "Tempo Smartphone" range of Windows Mobile powered handsets at MWC in January this year. Having absorbed Eten and their Glofiish range last year these make up the first new handsets we have seen in the Acer range. I am happy to announce that podcast sponsors Expansys have provided us with the flagship Acer M900 Windows Mobile professional device to put through its paces! The full spec looks a little something like this:

• Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional
  • Samsung 533 Mhz 6410 CPU
  • 256/128MB ROM/RAM
  • 3.8-inch 800x480 WVGA
  • Fingerprint reader/directional sensor
  • Quad band GSM/Dual band HSDPA (Euro)
  • Wifi/BT/GPS
  • 5.0 mpix with LED flash
  • Audio supported formats: WMA, WAV, MP3, AAC, AMR, SP-MIDI, MIDI, MMF, AWB, RMI
  • Video supported formats: 3GP, MPEG4, WMV, H.263, H.264
  • 1530 mAh battery
  • microSD
  • Dimensions: 119 x 62 x 17.1 mm
  • Weight: 188 grams

My first impressions are a little mixed, the device looks great however, while it feels solid, the quality is lacking a little when compared to market leaders such as Samsung and HTC. The custom GUI overlaying the standard Windows Mobile today screen is a little cheesy but could prove to be quite powerful. The big high res screen is glorious of course, and it makes for a great satnav device (no software included as far as I can see, but there is a dedicated GPS button next to the fingerprint reader, and the letters "GPS" embossed in the top of the casing!). The keyboard is a nice surprise too, well spaced and comfortable, but let down slightly by a spongy space bar.

I am optomistic, however, that this handset could prove to be an underrated star! I'll be giving it the usual run down over the coming weeks, so check out the podcast (enhanced too!) for mine and Paul's thoughts and post your burning questions below!

The Acer M900 is priced at £369.99 at Expansys (or from free with a contract!)

(Front page readers, click through for the unboxings.com video!)[/teaser]

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344">

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Acer using old Eten ODM's? Whats build qual like? Finger print reader usable for anything cool? LED flash any cop? What's it using to play h.264? Does it handle HD stuff without converting?

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.