TG01 screen is easy to damage

Guest zone

I've had TG01 for a few weeks now. Its an amazing and great device for the Windows Mobile fan, once you ditch the bars interface (why Toshiba, why?) and install SPB Mobile Shell.

However I have to say I've found the screen seems quite easy to damage - my 3 year old son put the phone in his mouth the other day while I was holding it and made an tooth mark impression on the corner of the screen. He was also been somewhat prone to doing similar things with my old TYTN II but I never had a similar issue with that screen (maybe it is better protected by the bezel). 'Luckily' the device had a battery fault and Orange customer services swapped it and the new replacement has worked perfectly.

However my son seems to be in a particularly destructive (and agile) phase, and yesterday with the skill of an assasin, managed to climbed from a chair to a table and from there onto the kitchen work surface where I thought I had put the device safe and out of reach. Within milliseconds he had scribbled on the screen with a capped biro - no ink but left an impression mark deep into the centre of the screen :) Device still works fine but the impression is there to stay I think.

I am going to try a screen protector to see if it masks the impression - however perhaps a screen protector shoud come standard with this device.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Guest xdalover
I've had TG01 for a few weeks now. Its an amazing and great device for the Windows Mobile fan, once you ditch the bars interface (why Toshiba, why?) and install SPB Mobile Shell.

However I have to say I've found the screen seems quite easy to damage - my 3 year old son put the phone in his mouth the other day while I was holding it and made an tooth mark impression on the corner of the screen. He was also been somewhat prone to doing similar things with my old TYTN II but I never had a similar issue with that screen (maybe it is better protected by the bezel). 'Luckily' the device had a battery fault and Orange customer services swapped it and the new replacement has worked perfectly.

However my son seems to be in a particularly destructive (and agile) phase, and yesterday with the skill of an assasin, managed to climbed from a chair to a table and from there onto the kitchen work surface where I thought I had put the device safe and out of reach. Within milliseconds he had scribbled on the screen with a capped biro - no ink but left an impression mark deep into the centre of the screen :) Device still works fine but the impression is there to stay I think.

I am going to try a screen protector to see if it masks the impression - however perhaps a screen protector shoud come standard with this device.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Recommendations? The first one and the most important . Be ware of your son! ;)

I've had other devices in the past and ALWAYS the first think that I do after opening de box is to protect the screen with a good screen protector.

I mean a good one like Martin Fields (for instance) , not some cheap pieces of sh*t that you can see on Ebay.

You are not 100% safe, but the original surface is very fragile.

Guest leeston2379

Hello mate, i'm using a DuraSec HighTec screen protector. Seems pretty good though my daughter isn't at the assasin stage yet. It is nice and thick as screen protectors go and gives the screen a rubbery feel which is nice if you like that sort of thing and provides some shock protection. Its not the clearest protector i've seen on a phone but is accecptable by my standards and i think it would look better if better applied. I'm a little heavy handed.

Ebay link here

This seller has 3 different types, i would recommend the HighTec one.

Edited by leeston2379

Hello mate, i'm using a DuraSec HighTec screen protector. Seems pretty good though my daughter isn't at the assasin stage yet. It is nice and thick as screen protectors go and gives the screen a rubbery feel which is nice if you like that sort of thing and provides some shock protection. Its not the clearest protector i've seen on a phone but is accecptable by my standards and i think it would look better if better applied. I'm a little heavy handed.

Ebay link here

This seller has 3 different types, i would recommend the HighTec one.

Thanks for the link and advice. Perhaps the 'nanotech sealer' from the same vendor might help repair the damage too. I'll give it a whirl. Cheers :)

@xdalover - Thanks -an admittedly brief search for Martin Fields TG01 found only sellers in Singapore - do you know of any EU outlet? Must say the thicker Duratec looks like it might mask the impression in my screen better tho..

Edited by zone