This is how smooth the Hero SHOULD be...

Guest PaulOBrien

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">

:D

Thanks goodness the flip clock no longer flips EVERY time the clock is displayed, that really bugged me!

P

Guest slaguru

You say in the Vid that this is due in a couple of months.

Shame, it looks complete and stable, can't wait, as my Hero is taking a back seat to the 3Gs at the moment.

Good work

Guest blackhorse

Im sure it will surface before then! :D

Edit. Is it just me or does the white Hero look sexy!!?

Edited by blackhorse

Looks a lot smoother, and I agree about the clock widget. I had to remove it as the flicking was making me crazy as well as really slowing down the UI.

How about the calendar and other apps?

As the calendar is currently close to unusable.

Everything I tried runs with barely any noticeable lag! I put it on this morning and ran through all the usual stuff I do (including all my usual apps).

It's fair to say that there's an occasional blip, but that is probably inevitable and this also is not the final release!

P

Guest casanova

Hi Paul thanks for the video,

Do you know if the trackball light colours have been fixed? I thought they were meant to pulse different colours depending on the notification. But on mine every notification seems to be white.

Looking forward to getting this update though, it look much, much snappier.

Guest kalairn

hey Paul,

I have the htc hero and i really love the phone apart from the software that HTC has made for the phone aka calendar, people, ect ect, these apps don't seem to be fully finished off with the I would say sluggish feel and kinda ruins the whole user experince of this phone, has the apps that htc have made been more optimized, what i mean is that if you try scrolling through your contacts in the people app the scrolling is very very sluggish and in the messages app if your trying to scroll through pass messages.

Guest Lorcan79

Hey Paul,

I'm considering upgrading to the Hero soon and was wondering if it would be an idea to wait until after this update is released or just go ahead and get the phone and then download the update when its released? (apologies if this is a silly question...)

Cheers, Lorcan.

Guest KojakLives

Do you know how such updates will be distributed for T-Mobile G2 Touch owners? I.e. will we just be able to download the firmware from HTC or T-Mobile?

Oh, and btw, I'm getting really poor battery life from my unit. I've had the phone for almost a week, and after an overnight charge the battery is already reporting that I've only got 64% left 4 hours into the working day, and I've only used the phone for 5 minutes conversation! Brightness is set to the second lowest setting, and have the following disabled:

WiFi

Enable always-on mobile data

Use wireless networks (under the My Location sources)

Edited by KojakLives

Guest Farfooz
Hmm, i've only seen white on mine? Are you sure it's mean to pulse different colours?

P

Hey paul :angry:

just wanted to ask a few questions if you dont mind! when u scroll through the contacts is it still a bit choppy or is it as fluid as it is on the iphone? haha i have the hero and i love it to death. no regrets from switching to the hero. also another question, how did you get this??? thirdly, did whoever or wherever you got this from at least mention a release date? a couple of months seems too long for a software update that fixes all the problems :D what about keyboard lag or flash playback? and just general scrolling about? i like how fluid the pages are! are the widgets faster? haha sorry about all the questions.

Faris

Guest dogei22

@KijakLives

Have a quick look at this post - gives at least me a full day of active Hero usage :D Before the tweaks, I also had serious trouble with battery life.

http://www.gamaze.com/blog/2009/08/improve...ro-smart-phone/

Do you know how such updates will be distributed for T-Mobile G2 Touch owners? I.e. will we just be able to download the firmware from HTC or T-Mobile?

Oh, and btw, I'm getting really poor battery life from my unit. I've had the phone for almost a week, and after an overnight charge the battery is already reporting that I've only got 64% left 4 hours into the working day, and I've only used the phone for 5 minutes conversation! Brightness is set to the second lowest setting, and have the following disabled:

WiFi

Enable always-on mobile data

Use wireless networks (under the My Location sources)

Guest sjohnstone

Hi All,

Advice please... and could I also request feedback/response from Paul?

I've had the T-Mobile variant of the Hero fro around a week, but sadly I'm considering selling it.

I say sadly, as I really love elements of this phone... the look/feel is great and the software looks awesome.

I was prepared for some disappointment trading up from an n95 (such as a poor camera and audio playback etc) but disappointment doesn't come close. For the first day or so I saw past it's poor camera and music player as the phone was such a joy to behold - unfortunately though, after a day or so using it, I quickly found the device to be frustrating.

Lag is noticeable in the Sense UI, menus, contacts etc and the browser is also a dissapointment as when it is able to render video streams (which is rare) they are choppy and unwatchable. I tried downloading a few vids only to find that it doesn't play many formats at all, and the ones it does handle are choppy to the point that they simply stop after a couple of seconds????

I really want to like this phone, but unfortunately I can only descibe it as an irritation - a taste of how good an android phone could be...

That said, I want to like the phone, so before I sell it - I'd really appreciate deom feedback on the new ROM. Are there any improvements outside of the Sense UI?

Are the menu's faster (such as scrolling through a large list of contacts)?

Is the browser improved? - Flash?, Video Streaming?

Is the media player any better at handling video media on the SD card?

Advice/Feedback would be much appreciated.

Guest mattartist
I really want to like this phone, but unfortunately I can only descibe it as an irritation - a taste of how good an android phone could be...

That said, I want to like the phone, so before I sell it - I'd really appreciate deom feedback on the new ROM. Are there any improvements outside of the Sense UI?

Are the menu's faster (such as scrolling through a large list of contacts)?

Is the browser improved? - Flash?, Video Streaming?

Is the media player any better at handling video media on the SD card?

Advice/Feedback would be much appreciated.

Agree with this. I don't want to send my Hero back and be forced to get 3GS, but have a few issues.

- Video playback is currently dreadful, esp compared to the iPhone.

- Remembered WiFi locations do not auto connect and I have to re-enter password keys both at home and work

- Peep is poop - esp for listing all @replies on Twitter

I've high hopes for this coming update - love the Hero but has its significant faults

Edited by mattartist

Guest steamer

Hi,

Thanks for the video demo!

I was wondering if you could try syncing the phone towards an Exchange 2007 server that has policies (my employer has on WinMo a dialog showing 'Accept policy' and a pin code)? This does not currently work on my Hero and the reply I got from HTC support was basically "too bad! go third party.". That means I don't have two way sync now of contacts and calendar. Mail works fine in Touchdown :D.

Thanks.

Edited by steamer