Snowglobe app for Omnia released

Guest CSX321

Guest CSX321

Edit...

Attached is a demo of the final version, which is now available for purchase in the Samsung Application Store in the UK, France, and Italy.

--------------------------

Hello, fellow Omnia owners!

I always wanted to write some software for my phone, and I've finally got started. I need a few people to test a preliminary version of my snowglobe toy app. The CAB file is attached. You can shake it and play with it, then exit with a tap. This is a stripped-down version that has a single background and probably will only work on the Omnia. I mainly need to know if it works as installed by the CAB file, especially if you have NOT installed the Samsung SDK on your Omnia. It should create a "Snowglobe" shortcut in your Programs list. There will be a full version with better graphics and more backgrounds that will work on other accelerometer-equipped WM phones. Probably it will be in the new Windows Marketplace.

The physics are optimized for upright play. That is, it doesn't react the same to holding it upside-down and shaking as it does to holding it right-side-up and shaking. I found that having it obey "actual" physics just didn't feel natural. There are occasionally some artifacts of the underlying math visible, such as "waves" of snow. I left it like it is, though, because it actually looks kind of neat when it does it.

I have some other things in the works. One is a card game. I like an occasional game of Yukon solitaire, and while there are quite a few solitaire games out there, I was not satisfied with any of them. I wrote my own version with the goal of making it more finger-friendly and more easily playable than what's currently available. It's very close to completion, and I will probably be looking for some testers for that, too. The selected testers will get a free full version when it's released.

Thanks to anyone interested in helping out!

David Reynolds

Brass Key Software

SnowglobeDemo.CAB

Edited by CSX321

Guest Skel1t

David,

After installing Snowglobe on my Omnia WITHOUT Samsung SDK on my device, it worked perfectly.

I had no problems with the install, and it did create a shortcut at the programs folder.

Looking forward to see a full or better version of this,

Skel1t.

P.S: Here is my device's specs.

Samsung Omnia i900 with 16 GB.

ROM: WinMo 6.1,

PDA: i900DXHH3.

PHONE : i900DXHH3.

Guest Omniaaddicted

just installed it...and work smooth on my device, i'm using 6.1 sh0ck ROM.

thanks for ur share... looking another nice app...from u :D

*edit Screenshots

9b982f03a4.jpg

84a7dcb5f8.jpg

Edited by Omniaaddicted

Guest Koofteh
Really looking for game/apps which utilize Omnia's g-sensor....

You don't have to look far, now that there's HTC g-sensor emulators all the apps working with HTC devices will work with the Omnia's sensor (given compatible resolution). There's plenty of good games too, check out the games thread.

As for the snowglobe app, I tried it and it works as advertised. I deleted it since it's not really my cup of tea, but it works fine. :D

Guest CSX321

Thanks, everyone. That answers some questions I had about using the SDK files and about the i900. I experimented tonight with doing this in C++ instead of C#, but it wasn't enough faster to be worth the pain of writing to the Win32 API instead of .NET. Now, off to finish this long to-do list!

Guest X-Ray A4T
Thanks, everyone. That answers some questions I had about using the SDK files and about the i900. I experimented tonight with doing this in C++ instead of C#, but it wasn't enough faster to be worth the pain of writing to the Win32 API instead of .NET. Now, off to finish this long to-do list!

Worked fine for me, the only issue I had was that while shaking the phone would switch from portrait to landscape. Is it possible to disable this while the app is running?

Guest CSX321
Worked fine for me, the only issue I had was that while shaking the phone would switch from portrait to landscape. Is it possible to disable this while the app is running?

Good question; I'll look into that. I keep mine in manual mode and have the button on the upper-right edge mapped to rotate when it's held down. I already have it set to prevent turning off or turning off the backlight, since you normally don't touch the screen while the program's running, and the phone doesn't register shaking as user activity.

Installed and ran well for me, I am running blazingwolfs night rom.

I'm running blazingwolf's, as well. Love it.

I'm making great progress on the Snowglobe program. (But not getting enough sleep!) You can now use flick gestures to select from a number of globe contents in a number of categories. Or you can select random contents, or custom contents from your own image. I'm really happy with the way the gesture control has worked out.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm excited! The Snowglobe app is finished and has been accepted in the Samsung Application Store. It became available for purchase in the U.K., France, and Italy today.

I updated the demo version in the first post. The demo has a single globe background. The registered version has over 30 built-in backgrounds, as well as the ability to use an image of your own or to snap a photo to use as a background.

I did finally figure out how to prevent auto-screen rotation and do so, but the app will also support manual rotation while it is running.

Enjoy! And tell all your Omnia-owning friends! :)

David Reynolds

Brass Key Software

www.brasskeysoftware.com