Loss of signal

Guest Stevie B

Guest Stevie B

All

I have had my Hero (actually a G2 touch) for just two weeks. Phone is fantastic - I just love the whole app scene. My problem is the phone signal - I live and work in Burgess Hill (RH15). I did some research before choosing T-Mobile and all signs looked promising at the time. But, since having the phone the signal constantly drops out and can be lost for several hours. I have contacted T-Mobile who assured me the local transmitters were all functioning and operating at 98%. They got me to remove the battery whilst the phone was on etc. etc. Today I installed the latest radio files from Paul (Thank you) in the hope that it would help. Unfortunately the same happens. BUT, what I have stubbled upon is this: If I change the "Mobile Network Settings --> Use Only 2G Networks" to one or the other, leave it for a couple of seconds, I will get a signal back for a period of time. This works for toggling to either 2G or 3G???

Tomorrow, I'm going away for a couple of days so am eagerly awaiting to see what the signal will be like.

Has any body any thoughts on this please?

I have exactly the same problem with my G2 on T Mobile as well.

I phoned T Mobile and they asked me to turn on the 2g only option and the phone worked fine for a week. I turned that off and I started to lose signal again, so it's obviously do to with 3g. It's almost as though when it drops signal it isn't trying to reconnect. I usually have to turn off my phone then turn it back on again.

I phone T Mobile again to see if they can sort it out, but they wanted me to take it in to a store to send it off for a repair. I'd only had the phone 10 days!

I'm going to see if the update that comes out fixes this problem, if it doesn't then it will have to go for a repair. If that doesn't work then I will cancel my contract because if you look at the sales of goods act, if a product is less than 6 months old and isn't:

- Of satisfactory quality - the product you buy should be reasonably reliable.

- Fit for purpose - it should perform the function you bought it to do.

- As described - it should be exactly what the trader told you it was.

*edit*

I have been with T Mobile for a while now so I know that I have good reception, so it is the phone rather than the network.

Edited by keveh

Guest JamminJP

I have a similar problem on orange, but if I don't select 2g I cant make or receive calls!!

it has to be the phone, I've also updated to the new radio software and that's not helped

Edited by JamminJP

Guest zippyioa

I had the same issue with the G2 on T-Mobile.

In the end I had to return it to them. The guys in the shop tried to wriggle out of it, so I politely explained that I couldnt make calls anywhere that I live/work, so what the point in having a mobile!? Needless to say I walked out of the shop minus a G2!!!

I went to mobilephonesdirect and got a white unlocked one on Vodafone - and it/the network work superbly :-)

Zippyioa

Guest Stevie B

Thx for all your replies. Having done a bit of travelling with it over the last couple of days, I'm convinced the problem is T-Mobile's coverage. I would like to ask those with unlocked phones - What site did you use

Thx again

Guest MStrutt

Im glad Im not the only one. I have had my HTC Hero for a little over a week and the signal on T-Mobile is shocking, even for a phone signal let alone 3G. Id like to at least be able to speak on the bloody thing!

Im hoping the ROM upgrade will improve things. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mark

Guest Stevie B
Im glad Im not the only one. I have had my HTC Hero for a little over a week and the signal on T-Mobile is shocking, even for a phone signal let alone 3G. Id like to at least be able to speak on the bloody thing!

Im hoping the ROM upgrade will improve things. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mark

That is what I'm waiting for now. I'm so peed off with T-Mobile's signal. I spoke to them (again) today. To cut a long story short, I'm stuck with them for another eleven months...

I have spent some time today reading up on GSM home repeaters (smacks of desperation). Does anybody have any experience with them?

Guest MStrutt

I emailed HTC and heres the reply,

"Dear valued HTC customer,

Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Center. We are dedicated to providing you with the best quality service and answering all of your questions and concerns.

You recently wrote us about an issue that you have encountered with your Device

Im afraid that as its T-Mobile the device has T-Mobile software in the phone.

T_mobile have requested from us that we dont deal with there support as they wish to keep all technical support in house.

however we can repair the device, as per your email i can this is something that you dont want to do, so im afraid all we can do here is refer you back to T-Mobile as we can only support you in a repair.

its possible that the software in the device ( being T-Mobile) may be the reason its not getting good signal, we are unsure as its not ours.

have you tryed another sim card in the device?

this is a good way to test the signal to see if its the phone or sim thats being effected.

feel free to get back to me on this, i cant do much else than a repair but im happy to share some troubleshooting with you."

Not a lot of use when T-Mobile say its the manufacturers problem!

Guest Chris Jenx
I emailed HTC and heres the reply,

"Dear valued HTC customer,

Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Center. We are dedicated to providing you with the best quality service and answering all of your questions and concerns.

You recently wrote us about an issue that you have encountered with your Device

Im afraid that as its T-Mobile the device has T-Mobile software in the phone.

T_mobile have requested from us that we dont deal with there support as they wish to keep all technical support in house.

however we can repair the device, as per your email i can this is something that you dont want to do, so im afraid all we can do here is refer you back to T-Mobile as we can only support you in a repair.

its possible that the software in the device ( being T-Mobile) may be the reason its not getting good signal, we are unsure as its not ours.

have you tryed another sim card in the device?

this is a good way to test the signal to see if its the phone or sim thats being effected.

feel free to get back to me on this, i cant do much else than a repair but im happy to share some troubleshooting with you."

Not a lot of use when T-Mobile say its the manufacturers problem!

I unlocked my Orange HTC Hero, to test my Three Sim in the phone and was blown away..

The HTC Hero wont get as strong signal as a Nokia will just because of the way there built.

But the main Issue here is actualy Orange and T-Mob just have shocking coverage... Or more so they have good coverage but coverage degrades on high usage.

Essentially back to the point of I put My Three Sim in and I get near perfect signal where ever I go...

Orange Tech said "Well the device just doenst have as good signal as other phones" What he should of said is "We don't provide sufficient signal for phones with smaller antenna"

Also when using my Three SIM was much faster than Orange.

Guest Chris Jenx
Thx for all your replies. Having done a bit of travelling with it over the last couple of days, I'm convinced the problem is T-Mobile's coverage. I would like to ask those with unlocked phones - What site did you use

Thx again

As I said a second ago, Signal with my Three sim is fantastic.

I used HTCUNLOCKING.CO.UK not cheap but worked straight off, twas what I used to unlock my phone.

Guest Chris Jenx
I have tried my works O2 SIM in it tonight which I get a full signal on at home in my Nokia and the signal is shocking in the Hero for that as well.

So the signal isnt any better with your o2 sim in the HTC Hero?

Guest GuyAdams

I have received a HTC Hero in white with a T-Mobile contact over the weekend and I must say I too am disappointed with the signal strength.

I have another T-Mobile contract SIM which I used in a Palm Treo Pro and the signal is fantastic, HSDPA in the majority of the places I am but in the Hero, when I do get HSDPA signal it seems to lag and drop out then come back a few minutes later.

I know Paul has posted some new radios which I was thinking about flashing to but with me being so new to Android I wanted to keep things stock for a while whilst I get used to the device.

Guest MStrutt
I have received a HTC Hero in white with a T-Mobile contact over the weekend and I must say I too am disappointed with the signal strength.

I have another T-Mobile contract SIM which I used in a Palm Treo Pro and the signal is fantastic, HSDPA in the majority of the places I am but in the Hero, when I do get HSDPA signal it seems to lag and drop out then come back a few minutes later.

I know Paul has posted some new radios which I was thinking about flashing to but with me being so new to Android I wanted to keep things stock for a while whilst I get used to the device.

Im with you on that. I wouldnt know how to Flash it. Im pinning my hopes on the ROM upgrade, if that ever surfaces.

Guest JamminJP

BTW The new Modaco update seems to fix my problem of 3g and Phone calls.

either that or orange have fitted a new transmitter near me :D

until updating tonight I have had to set the phone to 2g to be able to use data and make a phone call.

With the new update I'm connected on 3g/H and can make a phone call

(I already had the new radio before the new rom and alone that did not cure it)

Guest Stevie B

Hi All

An update to my experience with the latest radio update...

FANTASTIC! :angry:

I still get drop-outs. But these are restricted to certain positions within my house now. When the signal is lost, moving position slightly is now enough to get the signal back. I'm constantly able to get high speed digital connection too. Even this morning when the weather is terrible (pooring rain and strong winds). I can even use StreamFurious without WIFI now!!!

So my recommendation is to install this latest radio update if you have been suffering poor signal issues.

Many thx Paul for bringing this out and to the attention of the world - what's it like to be famous :D

Guest GuyAdams
So my recommendation is to install this latest radio update if you have been suffering poor signal issues.

Did you just upgrade the radio Stevie B or did you also upgrade to the Modaco Custom ROM?

Thanks

Guest Stevie B
Did you just upgrade the radio Stevie B or did you also upgrade to the Modaco Custom ROM?

Thanks

I'm actually still using custom rom 1.0 - thought I'd wait a while for things to settle :D