anyone help make my tg01 better? (for retard)

Guest dunbad

Guest dunbad

Hi, Ive got a few mates at work who have the iphones and they are taking the micheal out of my new tg01. I know on paper its much better. But i keep having embarrassing problems when they come to challange me with speed contests etc. The phone is stock apart from ive downloaded spb mobile shell and keyboard which is very smooth and looks the dogs. Also kinoma, m.youtube and facebook with there own icons. and opera mini as my browser.

First problem i cant seem to play kinoma youtube videos when im on Hsdpa signal? On wifi its great and on 3g also, but hsdpa no. I can get the lists up but when i select the videos it just says video url not found? kinoma blame orange, orange blame toshiba etc etc. Anyone have success whilst on HSDPA signal?

The youtube icon i have works great that i got from m.youtube through all signals. Also i can get youtube via ie. no problem. Vtap also gives me lists, but again i cannot get it to play but on ANY signal.

Today i downloaded touchflo 3d but of course when i went to show my mates, it crashed!! Then i had a job getting rid of it.

So ive just put on my computer opera 9.5 and will be downloading it shortly, but my 2nd question is there another better browser than 9.5? I tried fennec but couldnt get it to download? Ive also tried iris, ucweb and skyfire but for different reasons didnt like them. Dorothy browser i thought was very good and will be exceptional i think when its ready.

Im now going to have a good search as to what other software i can put on to try and boost my tg01

many thanks

Guest Neil5459

There's no reason that the data connection over HSDPA fails but works OK on 3G- they are both part of the same transmission protocol. The only thing I cna think of is that your HSDPA signal may be a bit low, but the phone tries to hang onto it at the expense of data throughput, rather than dropping back to 3G. This is controlled via the phone masts themselves rather than the device, though I suspect there may be some threshold settings somewhere.

Whereabouts are you geographically? Some Orange cells are so congested that even 3G doesn't work at times- I see this during peak hours in the City of London when it can be hard to get any data transfer over Orange though they deny there is a problem.

Browsers- Opera 9.5 is good. Not as fast as Opera Mini but it's not a Java app like Mini and Fennec so all the better for it. My personal favourite is Access Netfront 3.5 Concept . Though still a Beta it is very stable and once you have played around with the view settings works very well. It does time-bomb occasionally requiring a download of a later version.

TF3D is not a good app for the TG01- the porting from HTC is only partly successful. I'm afraid your best bet would be to do a full hard reset to get rid of it, though that does mean everything else goes as well! Stick with Mobile Shell 3 :D

My favourite keyboard is TouchPal by Cootek . It works well in portrait and landscape (as long as you disable the Toolbox in settings, which takes a whole line of icons). TouchPal has its own dictionary and predictive text system and is miles better than the limp default system.

As a general rule I'd recommend installing ALL programs to main device memory- it has ample space for most programs. If you remove the demo games, and the demo videos you regain about 40MB of storage space. Then keep your user data files like photos, videos and music on the storage card.

Hi thanks for getting back to me.

I work in Westminster But i get 2 g most of the time there. At home i get great hsdpa, but ive

got access to wifi at home. Also regarding kinoma, coreplaer has issues with youtube at the

moment, they are claiming that youtube recently changed their http headers and coreplayer

are updating their software. They are advising to try using different network connections, ie

wifi, gprs etc as different network connections have different network capabilities????? Can

kinoma youtube be effected by this??? Is anyone else unable to get youtube on hsdpa via

kinoma???

Also i shall try the downloads that you suggest

thankyou very much. opera 9.5 works great much better

than 9.7 that i found really buggy. I still have many things

to learn like downloading properly! like exe files, i get

not avalid pocket pc application but i hopefully can

learn this. But one more question if i may, i ask now because i

dont know if i will be able to type more messages! basically

today i couldnt reply to this post? when i tapped the icon

i got the blank space to type in but no cursor and no keyboard

tapping that space would not give me a cursor. This happened

on all forums that i belong to and through different browsers.

on ie it just wouldnt let me log in? a reset and im good. but

this has happened twice tonight????

Guest Neil5459

The Youtube/Kinoma problem is odd. We know that Coreplayer currently has a problem with Youtube. Sometimes using a different connection method will work if there is a routing issue, but if the problem is within the target website, then routings will have no effect.

Installation files: For Windows Mobile these come in 2 flavours. CAB files are copied or downloaded to the device and are run from the device to install. Most of us keep all our CAB files on the storage card for disaster recovery! EXE files are generally designed to run from the PC with the device docked and connected via Activesync, so can't be run on the device itself. MAny developers still fail to provide a choice of CAB or EXE installer which can be a problem for those not having a PC :D A very small number of utility files are supplied as Windows Mobile EXE files which are run direct from the device, but these are rare.

Opera 9.7 is definitely incompatible with the TG01 at present though as you found, 9.5 is OK.

Typing problems: I've not seen this on my TG01 though it has happened occasionally on previous devices. As I said above, following your installation attempts of TF3D etc, it may well be that there is an OS problem. A Hard reset (Master Clear in Settings) will sort things out, but you will need to reinstall everything afterwards.

We all play with adding/removing programs in new devices and we've all found that this leads to some instability at times. You would be well advised to buy a backup program from SpB or Sprite, and do a backup before installing any new application. If you then get problems you can just restore the last known good backup :angry:

Hi,

Thanks for the input. netfront 3.5 concept. wow that is a GREAT browser. Very odd i hadnt heard of it whilst looking at alternatives. If it chugs along nicley with poor reception i shall definatley make it my default browser over mini, but as yet havent been able to test it with poor reception. So exe files that is a real pain, alot of tthe stuff i see for pocket pc is exe. files

or am i mistaken?

A hard reset seems to have fixed my phone. Im gonna have only spb ui, kinoma, m.youtube, facebook, the keyboard you suggested is also very good. and have these as a start as they all work fantastic on my phone.

The last thing is increasing the volume which ive seen somewhere on

here. Then my phone will be up to taking on the bullys at work!!!!

It would be nice though to see if anyone else has kinoma/ youtube

issues on the hsdpa network???

HI,

This is very annoying. Im unable to post on any forum again due to being unable to get a cursor up on the add reply link?? Via the orange browser and google, i simply cannot get the box to open to allow me to log in! via opera or netfront, i can log in, but cant get the flashy cursor on add reply. The box opens but i cant type? I done a hard reset last time and it fixed it, but now ive only put minimal software on and its done it again. Ive put on the software mentioned above and also xtract, (which the widget appears to have gone blank? and wont load, along with windows excel and another windows program).

whats going on???

Hi,

Ive got spb ui, which i love and works great. spb keyboard, google you tube, facebook, Kinoma, but as yet i havent even activated it this time around.

the toshiba version of 9.5 that i found on here i believe. netfront 3.5 concept version, and on my card ive got xtract, and prince of persia.

Also when i discovered this problem again, (after the hard reset) i deleted from my storage card a few games and from the main memory the keyboard that was mentioned above and another software tool that i found on here.

Ive spoken to orange already, the first replacement i got within a few days. But this time around the problems were not so apparant. Ive had this handset maybe a month. Ive contacted them maybe 7 or 8 times in that time. someone from some department was meant to contact me within 24 hours about a week ago, and i spoke to them again yesterday but still no contact from this mystery department that are meant to be looking into it.

Also if you phone and ask how much date usage youve used, be carefull of what they say because the first time i done this, i was assured that i had only used about 7mg. Only to find out later that i had in fact gone well over my 500mg "fair use". Apparently there is a new system that they should be using and the old system will always come in at roughly less than 10 meg. (im getting a refund for this).

I phoned up a second time and asked what usage i had used and was told again that i had used about 6 meg, but when i pointed this out to her, she told me that i had used 420meg??? Now i have to be carefull with when i go on the internet which is a real pain.

Guest Neil5459

Sounds like you need Spb Wireless Monitor to keep an eye on your usage :) I've never used more than about 80MB in a month so my 500MB allowance is ample!

I'd be interested in what Orange eventually decide to do for you!

Hi, Im tracking this issue down to wether or not its software that im downloading is effecting me being unable to post on various forums. opera 9.5 the adapted toshiba version seems to not want to know, whereas mini opera seems to let me in.??? does anyone know were I can get the original 9.5 download and ill try that?