If you flashed the 2.73 RUU and got the new hboot...

Guest PaulOBrien

Basically we are screwed until someone way cleverer than us comes up with another kernel exploit.

well there is a way out of this get theres a ug on the tmobile rom the sms notification sms tone does not change try taking it back to tmobile and let them to downgrade the 2.73 to 1.7 becouse tell them the new rom is messing with the sms tone.

guys...i need a help regarding this custom recovery. i installed amon ra 1.2.3 with flashrec in my friend's hero which got only1 fat32 partition. . then updated to modaco 2.8. but for some reason wifi wasnt working. did nandroid backup and tried some other roms. but wifi dint work. then i went into amonra custom recovery and deleted dalvik cache and did a reboot. then when i went in recovery again it was showing this error message--> E: cant read miscno space left on device). i tried to do a nandroid backup but i said could not run command. cant do nandroid restore. previous error mesage shows always.

i really need this custom recovery back. please guys. some help will be really appreciated. cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carlos1987

Hi Guys,

Im having problem rooting my device and getting it to the flash recovery screen. What I have done:

I have used the instructions on Unlockr. I am on 2.73

1. I have downloaded Flashrec and sdcard/Recovery-RA-HERO-v1.2.3.img.

2. Installed and loaded Flashrec

3. Flashed to the image sdcard/Recovery-RA-HERO-v1.2.3.img. This says Flash complete.

But then I reboot my Hero holding the home button in via pressing the on button, it just freezes at the "hero" screen.

I can boot normally but cant open the recovery bootloader so I can install Modaco. ANy ideas anyone?

Guest garbiel

Hey guys, i got a HTC Hero today, and yes, its locked to Orange. i used both linux and XP, although i only know the basics for each. For some reason no computer will pick up my phone. The phone charges but it wont be picked up. In xp i can see it on the ico bar that the usb is present but i cant seem to access any folders!!!

PLEASE, does anyone have ANY idea what i can do??

• 1 month later...
Guest pinnnnn
Hi Guys,

Im having problem rooting my device and getting it to the flash recovery screen. What I have done:

I have used the instructions on Unlockr. I am on 2.73

1. I have downloaded Flashrec and sdcard/Recovery-RA-HERO-v1.2.3.img.

2. Installed and loaded Flashrec

3. Flashed to the image sdcard/Recovery-RA-HERO-v1.2.3.img. This says Flash complete.

But then I reboot my Hero holding the home button in via pressing the on button, it just freezes at the "hero" screen.

I can boot normally but cant open the recovery bootloader so I can install Modaco. ANy ideas anyone?

Hi,

I have the exact same issue. I have also tried the goldcard method but it fails when writing the RUU, saying it's the wrong version.

I'm on Orange 2.73.61.5, fw1.5.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest clifhanger_uk

I got this '(remote: not allow)' error using fastboot-windows from Pauls original post, and for me Flashrec was no good, with that I got an error. In the end I downloaded Better Terminal Emulator and flashed a custom recovery img using the commands posted by unlockr.com here (very helpful).. Finally! Been trying to figure this out for days! :)

By the way, I found that with flashrec, the command to execute using /sdcard/img_name didnt work.. I had to use file://sdcard/img_name (but I still got an error)

HTH

I got this '(remote: not allow)' error using fastboot-windows from Pauls original post, and for me Flashrec was no good, with that I got an error. In the end I downloaded Better Terminal Emulator and flashed a custom recovery img using the commands posted by unlockr.com here (very helpful).. Finally! Been trying to figure this out for days! :)

By the way, I found that with flashrec, the command to execute using /sdcard/img_name didnt work.. I had to use file://sdcard/img_name (but I still got an error)

HTH

I suspect that fastboot is an exploit that has since been blocked by this version.

The quickest way I found was to install the instantroot.apk and then use:

adb shell

su

flash_image recovery /sdcard/img_name.img

reboot recovery

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Amdathlonuk
I suspect that fastboot is an exploit that has since been blocked by this version.

The quickest way I found was to install the instantroot.apk and then use:

adb shell

su

flash_image recovery /sdcard/img_name.img

reboot recovery

Hi Mate,

Where did you get instantroot.apk from?

Trying to flash my friends Hero but they have the new 2.73... .Grrr

Hi Mate,

Where did you get instantroot.apk from?

Trying to flash my friends Hero but they have the new 2.73... .Grrr

u have to get .5 (end of version no.)in RUU form install it

then google root.apk u will get it install it & then ur done

run above commands after & u r good to go!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Shydo

Here is what i used to solve the “downloading ‘boot.img’… FALIED (remote: not allow)”, info found at htcmania forums, it's not my credit, as always do it at your own risk, i'm not responsible for unexpected results, worked like a charm for me by the way, i translated it from spanish with some slight modifications, sorry if i misspelled any words:

"HTC Hero Custom Recovery

Step 1:

It's advisable to format the SD Card before do this process. You're going to lose all the information in the SD Card, do a manual backup to your computer of whatever you want, to do it:

Settings -> SD Card & phone storage -> Unmount SD card -> Format SD card

Step 2:

Download the flashrec from http://code.google.com/p/flashrec/

Download the recovery image provided by Paul from http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...bm92xobc9223ew5

Extract the 1.2-hero-recovery.zip to your PC.

Step 3:

Now copy flashrec and recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img (wich is inside the .zip file) directly to your SD card

Step 4:

Use an app installer from Google Market to install flashrec, i used ASTRO, but can be any other.

Step 5:

Once installed, open the program, click the button "Backup Recovery Image" and wait to finish, shouldn't take much time, this will do a backup of your actual recovery and put it in your SDCard with the name recovery-backup.img.

Step 6:

Once finished, erase any information in the text box and type this:

/sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img

and press the button Flash Recovery Image and wait to finish.

In some versions comes with a Cyanogen Recovery 1.4, don't use this option.

Now you have a new button, Restore Backup Image, wich is used to restore your image in case something goes wrong.

Step 7:

Turn off your HTC Hero.

Now you can go into Recovery Mode, start the phone pressing the power button + home button and wait untill you enter in Recovery Mode. Easy as that.

If stops responding when trying to enter Recovery Mode, and don't turn off using power button, take off your battery and try Step 7 again, if doesn't work, something went wrong.

Now to a NANDroid Backup:

Enter in Recovery Mode, start the phone pressing the power button + home button and wait a bit, will show up some options for you to choose, take Backup/Restore and choose NAN Backup, follow instructions and you're going to have your NANDroid Backup."

I started to mess with my Hero today, so i'm not an expert yet, but i like this kind of stuff a lot so i decided to join my Hero to the custom world, just trying to help. <_<

Edited by Paul

• 2 months later...