Album thumbnails not created

Guest Nuwanda

Guest Nuwanda

Hi,

Since I updated my hero to v2.73, I've noticed the grid view in the albums application is quite slow.

I checked the thumbnails existed in the /sdcard/DCIM/.thumbnails directory.

Since I updated the hero to a new version I decided to delete the .thumbnails directory to force albums to recreate new thumbnails.

No thumbnail files are created now.

The .thumbnails directory is created by albums at first start, but no files inside.

Tried deleting albums cache/data.

Tried reformatting the sdcard.

Nope helped.

Anyone can check for the same behaviour on their hero?

Any idea?

Guest olumite
Hi,

Since I updated my hero to v2.73, I've noticed the grid view in the albums application is quite slow.

Since I updated the hero to a new version I decided to delete the .thumbnails directory to force albums to recreate new thumbnails.

The .thumbnails directory is created by albums at first start, but no files inside.

Nope helped.

Any idea?

Do you mean that your phone isnt displaying album art?

If so, then download mp3 tag here, then re-synch your music to your phone with windows media player.

hope that helps.

Guest Nuwanda

I'm talking about the album application. The one to view pictures and videos.

Everytime I start the application and select a group of pictures, the phone starts scanning the folder instead of using the thumbnails previously created.

That is because does no create any thumbnail.

Guest sixpackbud
Hi,

Nope helped.

Any idea?

We are two persons over at the XDA which have the exact same issue.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=558168

I belive it starts when changing microSD card. Try you original card and you will se that it works. No solution yet. I will do some more testing. Anyway it seems to be a none issue for almost all people or they have not recognized it yet

Guest sixpackbud

Following testing has now been done.

Wipe and load clean modaco rom 2.0. Directly went to camera and took some pictures and looked in album.

SanDisk microSDHC 8 GB class 2: NOT OK, thumbnails NOT created

Transcend microSDHC 16 GB class 6: NOT OK, thumbnails NOT created

Original SanDisk microSD 2GB Class 2: OK, thumbnails created

So it definitely seems to be connected to the cards. Now I did some speed measurement from the computer.

SanDisk microSDHC 8 GB class 2: NOT OK, thumbnails NOT created

Read: 10 000 kbytes/s

write: 3 600 kbytes/s

Transcend microSDHC 16 GB class 6: NOT OK, thumbnails NOT created

Read: 9 000 kbytes/s

write: 4 000 kbytes/s

Original SanDisk microSD 2GB Class 2: OK, thumbnails created

Read: 4 000 kbytes/s

write: 3 500 kbytes/s

The common thing for the two cards not working is that the read speed is much higher. You can actually see the difference clearly when loading album first time.

The only conclution I can draw out of this is that the thumbnail creating procedure doesn't work correctly when using high speed cards.

Is there anyone out there that can verify this by checking that album browsing works ok while using high speed sdcard

Thanks in advance.

I did the same tests that you did, using these cards

SanDisk microSDHC 8 GB class 2: (the one that came with an htc magic) NOT OK, thumbnails NOT created

Transcend microSDHC 8 GB class 6: (the one i bought and I'm using now) NOT OK, thumbnails NOT created

Original SanDisk microSD 2GB Class 2: (the one that came with the hero) NOT OK, thumbnails created (NOT OK to me)

The speed tests showed exactly the same speeds you got.

See that the transcend is NOT a calss 6 card???. What a dissapointment. I trusted the brand.

But..... I just solved the problem.

How.

Copying 4 files I found inside the .thumbnails dir on the 8gb card that came with the htc magic.

I noticed (albeit the dir names are somewhat different) the .thumbnail dir in the magic had 4 files that were not thumbnail files.

The files are named: .thumbdata33-1967290299, .thumbdata3-1763508120, image_last_thumb and video_last_thumb.

I just copied those 4 files into the /sdcard/DCIM/.thumbnails dir and the albums app started generating thumbnails.

The firs file is 230K long, the others 12K, 2K and 2K.

Maybe is a concurrency issue??? the writing speed of the card is not enough to allow creating more than one file at a time?

So putting in the card a pre-created file helps?

You can try with an empty file.

I it does not work, I can post the files I used.

Guest sixpackbud

nuvvanda, I also got it working earlier with the SanDisk microSDHC 8 GB class 2 card periodicly/randomly by playing around with coping thumbnails from my working card but it always ended up none working after a while. Try to copy a couple of new folders with pictures.

Once again a gave it a try by copying thumbails from my original card but with no success. I am now using the 16 GB class 6 card. I didn't have the files as you reffered to tough.

If everything works ok for you now I could give it a try with your files from Magic. Please upload or mail.

[email protected]

Thanks

Guest stripealipe
Private mail sent.

Could you send the files to me too please? I've tried everything and this is now driving me nuts!!

I'm sure a lot of other Hero owners have this problem too, but don't realise it. Trust me, you may think your album view displays quickly, but the difference between my old 2gb class 2 standard SD card versus my 8gb Sandisk Mobile Ultra Class 6 card is crazy. The simple 2gb card with thumbnails being created correctly blows the 8gb away.

Check your SD card on your PC or Mac, and go into the .thumbnails folder and see if there are any thumbnails being created. If there isn't, then you're missing out on a lot of speed here without even knowing about it...

There just doesn't seem to be any reason for this happening though. 2 Cards, both formatted FAT32, the only difference being that one is SDHC.

Help!

Guest stripealipe

In fact, i'm now wondering if this could be a permissions thing and the permissions being set for the .thumbnails folder on my 8gb are set incorrectly for the system to write to?

Yo can delete the .thumbnails folder. It'll be created again by the albums app.

Wait for sixpackbud to say if my files sorted the problem out for him.

If positive, I'll send them to you too.

Guest stripealipe

Cool, thanks.

I've tried deleting the .thumbnails folder and it indeed gets recreated as you'd think it would, but the folder remains blank and thumbnails never get created inside this folder. Defnitely something odd going on here...

Guest stripealipe
Cool, thanks.

I've tried deleting the .thumbnails folder and it indeed gets recreated as you'd think it would, but the folder remains blank and thumbnails never get created inside this folder. Defnitely something odd going on here...

Arrrgh!! This is driving me *nuts* !!!!

No mater how i format my 8gb card, everything works fine except Android creating thumbnails!!!

I can now only assume that *noone* using an SDHC card in their Hero is getting thumbnails created by the system.

It's the only real difference between my 2 cards here. One is 2gb SD and the other is 8gb SDHC.

Can any other people using an SDHC card please check their DCIM/.thumbnails folder and see if any thumbnails are being created?!

Guest AlThePost
Can any other people using an SDHC card please check their DCIM/.thumbnails folder and see if any thumbnails are being created?!

Working fine here afaik with a 16GB Class 6 Transcend card. I can see three with timestamps from earlier today which correspond with three photos I took.

Guest stripealipe

Ok, just formatted card FAT32, wiped, installed Drizzy ROM and still the same here.

NO thumbnails created. Folder is created, but nothing in it. Bah! .....

I also tried the Modaco 2.2 Enhanced as i previously had the 'core' installed, but still no thumbnails are generated. And i also tried this with the card formatted as 1 partition as previously i had my card partitioned in 3 for apps2sd, so it's def not this causing the issue either. My only option now is to try going back to the stock ROM and see if that works...

Guest stripealipe

No joy with the stock ROM either, so this is an SDHC card issue as far as i can tell.

Looks like i may have to send my nice Sandisk 8gb SDHC Mobile Ultra back and go with something non SDHC?! At least it will be quicker.

I'm running a stock white Hero fwiw.

Guest sixpackbud
Private mail sent.

Nuwanda, No success with your Magic files.

Also tried different way of formatting the cards togheter with different roms but nu success. Even tried another (third) new 8 GB sandisk class 2 card, fresh out from box and in to the phone without formatting with the same bad result :)

My 2 GB original card always work.

I'll give up for now and hope that someone clever figure this out.

I just don't understand what's going on with the thumbnails.

I solved the issue by copying the files from the magic.

The magic is my wife's phone. I did not touch that phone until the day I got the files from it.

If it worked for me, why doesn't do for you??

Weird.

Also, you say with the 2GB stock card it works.

Have you ever formatted that card?

Have you ever deleted the .thumbnails directory?

Have you tried to copy ALL the contents of the 2GB card to the new card?

Questions, questions.....

Guest stripealipe
I just don't understand what's going on with the thumbnails.

I solved the issue by copying the files from the magic.

The magic is my wife's phone. I did not touch that phone until the day I got the files from it.

If it worked for me, why doesn't do for you??

Weird.

Also, you say with the 2GB stock card it works.

Have you ever formatted that card?

Have you ever deleted the .thumbnails directory?

Have you tried to copy ALL the contents of the 2GB card to the new card?

Questions, questions.....

Hi mate,

Yeah, it just doesn't really make any sense.

I've formatted the 2GB whole, formatted and partitioned, deleted .thumbnail directory etc and the 2GB always works without fail, recreating the folder if necessary and doing its thing.

The 8GB on the other hand refuses. Everything else about the card works fine. Only the thumbnail issue remains.

I've also now tried with a SanDisk 8GB class 2 i had in my Nintendo DS and this doesn't work either.

My thinking now is that either something doesn't get wiped when flashing and wiping, and there is a routine for the album somewhere in the OS expecting a 2GB card that originally came and was setup with the system.

Or similarly, the Modaco ROM has settings or preferences from when it was setup by Paul and these again are expecting a 2GB card that was maybe originally in place.

I tried flashing the Modaco ROM and THEN i done a wipe to maybe reset any possible settings expecting the 2GB card, but still no joy...

Guest eagle.al

Ive got a sandisk 8gd class 6 sdhc. using the un-modded rooted 2.73.405.5 rom without a2sd, albums is super fast and the thumbnails are created(all of them. ive crosschecked). maybe be its an a2sd prob. because if i remember i had added a2sd to the same rom above and the albums were very slow. hope this helps

Edited by eagle.al

Guest stripealipe
Ive got a sandisk 8gd class 6 sdhc. using the un-modded rooted 2.73.405.5 rom without a2sd, albums is super fast and the thumbnails are created(all of them. ive crosschecked). maybe be its an a2sd prob. because if i remember i had added a2sd to the same rom above and the albums were very slow. hope this helps

No, i'm now using my original 2GB card partitioned into 2, one FAT32, one EXT3 using Apps2SD and it's working fine.

I also tried flashing and using the new, non rooted 2.73.751.4 ROM and tried that on a fully formatted 1 partition FAT32, and again the 2GB worked fine, and then tried 2 8GB cards, 1 Class 6 and the other Class 2 and they both failed to work.

I'm trying to find a speedy 8GB card.

I believe it's related to the card's write speed.

The stock 2gb card is labeled 'class2' but its faster than my 8gb 'class6' card.

I've seen a review of the sandisk 8gb class2 card and this card performs at 10MB/sec when writting.

I'll try to grab one today and I'll post the results.

Edited by Nuwanda

Guest stripealipe

Quote from Vince - XDA Forums....

I found this solution to the Album problem, I can't remember where, I think it was a solution to a different problem but I thought I'd try it.

MENU > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications (Now theres a big delay - 10 seconds or more whilst it reads in info on ALL apps)

Select Albums (obviously), then select Clear data and Clear cache.

Next time you run Albums, it will be slow as it rebuilds its thumbnails, then subsequent runs should be quick again.

Well this worked for me, standard Orange ROM (no update yet - grrr Orange), I have upgraded my 2Gig card for a new Transcend 8gig class 6 card.

Vince

I don't have my 8GB card with me to try this, so can anyone else having the problem give this a go?

Cheers!