If you're following the Hero scene, you'll know that I have published a custom ROM based on the 1.73.405.5 shipping ROM. I have a Vodafone Magic (32B) and a T-Mobile G1 kicking around (and HTC want my PR review unit Hero back!), so figured it would be cool to firstly build a really simple way for me to package my ROMs for all 3 devices, and secondly try and produce an update.zip that runs on all 3!
Well, the first step is here, I have the MoDaCo Custom ROM ready to install on your Sapphire 32B device (if anyone can point me at a boot.img / kernel that runs this on 32A, i'll include that in the package (I can't test 32A)).
Things you should know...
- Contents are IDENTICAL to the MoDaCo Custom ROM core version detailed here.
- I have used cyanogen's kernel from 4.0.4 (big respect to cyanogen, he's doing awesome work!)
- Now compcache ready - use this script for a big performance boost!
It has room for improvement, and given the serious lack of ROM on the G1, I think optimising is a priority. Hopefully it will also provide a useful base for some other chefs. All that said and done tho, I don't think in it's current state it's unusable!
The download link (in update.zip format for flashing in the usual way via recovery image) is: http://content.modac...core-signed.zip
You can optionally try Cyanogen's new 4.1.6 BFS enabled Kernel - i've packaged it standalone with the tun.ko in an update.zip. NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE TRYING!
4.1.6 patch - http://content.modac...mrom-signed.zip
I've quoted some of my original Hero post here, so you know what you're getting. Enjoy!
This ROM is based on the Generic 2.73.405.5 release version of the 'new update' (together with my own optimisations) for the best possible performance! The ROM is now available in 2 versions - 'core' and 'enhanced' by popular request.
Included in both 'core' and 'enhanced' versions
- Rooted with 'adb remount' permission and superuser APK
- A2SD included (fully automatic - thanks cyanogen!) - create a EXT3 partition as your second partition to use. dalvik-cache remains on device. EXT4 is NOT supported.
- Added Jbed Java
- Added Spare Parts (run it and switch the 2 animation types to 'fast' for an even better experience!)
- Added Custom Locale for setting non english Locales
- Added android-wifi-tether 1.52 (props to the developer, this is a great app!)
- Added WMSM
- Added busybox 1.15 - tweaked such that 'get information' in Swapper now works as desired
- Added nano 2.09 - text editor for use in shell mode
- Added terminfo and settings to boot.img to allow nano etc. use
- Added tun.ko file (untested, please report on whether this is useful)
- Added files required for Debian linux
- Moved Quickoffice to data partition to allow easy uninstall
- Deleted 'Learn More' application
- Deleted Maps application - install from the Android Market to always stay up to date
- ROM now includes touch focus in Camera app
- ROM now supports shortcuts using BetterCut (and therefore I assume anycut!) in Rosie
- Silenced boot sound (it's still there and can be reactivated with a file edit)
- You can now check your MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) version from the about menu. It will display MCR2.0 (core) or MCR2.0e (enhanced).
- Fix for HTC Peep on Vodafone now available here!