If you're following the Hero scene, you'll know that I have published a custom ROM based on the 1.73.405.5 shipping ROM. I have a Vodafone Magic (32B) and a T-Mobile G1 kicking around (and HTC want my PR review unit Hero back!), so figured it would be cool to firstly build a really simple way for me to package my ROMs for all 3 devices, and secondly try and produce an update.zip that runs on all 3!
Well, the first step is here, I have the MoDaCo Custom ROM ready to install on your Sapphire 32B device (if anyone can point me at a boot.img / kernel that runs this on 32A, i'll include that in the package (I can't test 32A)).
Things you should know...
- Contents are IDENTICAL to the MoDaCo Custom ROM core version detailed here.
- I have used cyanogen's kernel from 4.0.4 (big respect to cyanogen, he's doing awesome work!)
- Now compcache ready - use this script for a big performance boost!
It has room for improvement, and given the serious lack of ROM on the G1, I think optimising is a priority. Hopefully it will also provide a useful base for some other chefs. All that said and done tho, I don't think in it's current state it's unusable!
The download link (in update.zip format for flashing in the usual way via recovery image) is: http://content.modac...core-signed.zip
You can optionally try Cyanogen's new 4.1.6 BFS enabled Kernel - i've packaged it standalone with the tun.ko in an update.zip. NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE TRYING!
4.1.6 patch - http://content.modac...mrom-signed.zip
I've quoted some of my original Hero post here, so you know what you're getting. Enjoy!
Included in both 'core' and 'enhanced' versions
- Rooted with 'adb remount' permission and superuser APK
- A2SD included (fully automatic - thanks cyanogen!) - create a EXT3 partition as your second partition to use. dalvik-cache remains on device. EXT4 is NOT supported.
- Added Jbed Java
- Added Spare Parts (run it and switch the 2 animation types to 'fast' for an even better experience!)
- Added Custom Locale for setting non english Locales
- Added android-wifi-tether 1.52 (props to the developer, this is a great app!)
- Added WMSM
- Added busybox 1.15 - tweaked such that 'get information' in Swapper now works as desired
- Added nano 2.09 - text editor for use in shell mode
- Added terminfo and settings to boot.img to allow nano etc. use
- Added tun.ko file (untested, please report on whether this is useful)
- Added files required for Debian linux
- Moved Quickoffice to data partition to allow easy uninstall
- Deleted 'Learn More' application
- Deleted Maps application - install from the Android Market to always stay up to date
- ROM now includes touch focus in Camera app
- ROM now supports shortcuts using BetterCut (and therefore I assume anycut!) in Rosie
- Silenced boot sound (it's still there and can be reactivated with a file edit)
- You can now check your MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) version from the about menu. It will display MCR2.0 (core) or MCR2.0e (enhanced).
- Fix for HTC Peep on Vodafone now available here!