is microSD Class 6 needed?

Guest mkolonko

Guest mkolonko

hi,

i was wondering, if there would be a noticable speed difference between a card class 2 and class 6.

i mean, the class states only the min speed of the card. the max speed is often much more.

and can the phone actually make use of more speed? i read that the device itself is a bottleneck.

could someone explain that?

thanks!

hi,

i was wondering, if there would be a noticable speed difference between a card class 2 and class 6.

i mean, the class states only the min speed of the card. the max speed is often much more.

and can the phone actually make use of more speed? i read that the device itself is a bottleneck.

could someone explain that?

thanks!

You reade where exactly that the device is a bottleneck for class6 cards? Do you have a source?

Guest thaddeus1984

Firstly, Class 2, class 4 or class 6, it is just a number.

A friend of mine has a SanDisk 4G Class 2 TF card, read 20M+, write 16M+.

My TF card is SanDisk 4G Ultra Class 6, but read 19M+, write 15M+.

They are tested on the same PC.

Then, faster is better, that's right. But the speed which device read the card not only rest with the card, but although the card controller chip in phone.

So, we can not test the real data transfer speed between your device and card.

Firstly, Class 2, class 4 or class 6, it is just a number.

A friend of mine has a SanDisk 4G Class 2 TF card, read 20M+, write 16M+.

My TF card is SanDisk 4G Ultra Class 6, but read 19M+, write 15M+.

They are tested on the same PC.

Agreed. The class number is just the minimum write speed in MB/sec that the manufacturer claims the card can achieve. 6MB/sec is pretty slow really, so a card claiming to be class 6 is nothing special.

I've got an 8GB class 4 micro SD that can be written to at >15MB/sec, whereas an 8GB class 6 SD was measured at ~10MB/sec (using the same card reader and PC).

Neil

Guest scoobytwo

so its probably better to buy a good brand class 4 (or 2) rather than a lesser brand class 6?

see the 2gb card that somes with the hero, is this just card with a rating less then a class 2?

so its probably better to buy a good brand class 4 (or 2) rather than a lesser brand class 6?

see the 2gb card that somes with the hero, is this just card with a rating less then a class 2?

Hard to say for definite, but that's the stance I take. From using a few different SD/micro SD cards I've found SanDisk to be the best.

I'll try some tests using the three micro SD cards I've got here (SanDisk 8GB, 'Hero' 2GB, DaneElec 16GB) and post the results in a bit.

Neil

Hard to say for definite, but that's the stance I take. From using a few different SD/micro SD cards I've found SanDisk to be the best.

I'll try some tests using the three micro SD cards I've got here (SanDisk 8GB, 'Hero' 2GB, DaneElec 16GB) and post the results in a bit.

Neil

Results from copying a single 461MB file, using a SanDisk microSD USB card reader on Ubuntu:

SanDisk 8GB class 4: 13MB/s

SanDisk 2GB bundled with HTC Hero: 5.5MB/s

DaneElec 16GB class 2: 6.1MB/s

So from this I guess SanDisk aren't always the best (didn't realise that the card bundled with the Hero was a SanDisk until I tried these tests). And class 4 performs better than class 2.

Neil

Guest scoobytwo

interesting. Need to go and do some online shopping now. :) Think i'll go for a SanDisk 8gb for the moment. Was thinking on a 16gb but seeing as i only had 8GB memory on my last phone and didn't fill it up, 8GB should be fine untill 16gb or 32gb prices drop.

oh and thanks for the indepth reply Neil.

Edited by scoobytwo