[Recovery] [16-Sept-2009] [RA-HERO-v1.2.2]

Guest Amon_RA

Why would you want to keep the orange ROM? Vanilla has got to be better surely?

My hero picked up my APN stuff from the sim card (I'm guessing) and hasn't lost it when I've updated the modaco roms, I'd recommend installing that over tainted firmware any day :)

Because its not broken. As far as I can tell other than the splash screen at boot up there is not any other Orange branding. It does everything I want it to do at the moment, and once i've tried clarkes steps above i'll have root and intend to install the wifi/bluetooth tether app.

I could turn the question around and ask what advantages does using the MCR bring over the updated Orange ROM?

Edited by hp1

To root and keep Orange Rom

1. Download the sdk

2. download and unzip superuser.zip I sent you link in private message copy and paste su and superuser.apk files to sdk/tools folder

3. then open my computer copy sdk folder into the root of c: (rename to sdk if not already done) then open cmd prompt and type

cd/ (the / needs to face the other way this line only can't do it on my phone lol)

cd sdk/tools/

adb shell reboot recovery

adb shell mount /system

adb push su /system/bin/

adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/

adb shell reboot

This will root your phone and you can keep Orange Rom.

Worked perfect. Thanks :)

I could turn the question around and ask what advantages does using the MCR bring over the updated Orange ROM?

From what I gather Paul's tweaked many more settings and bits and bobs. I bought mine sim free so firmware was vanilla anyway, but the modaco rom made such an obvious difference it's untrue. Device was sped up incredibly, along with (all I can think off at the mo) being able to install maps from the market (helps keep it more up to date), change animations, remove apps I don't need, tweak some extra system settings, do a proper backup and other stuff (i'm hoping) people will mention below.

Edited by trstn

Guest clarkEEE1
Worked perfect. Thanks :)

I see you've sorted it lol straight forward stuff if you take your time, also best way to root as your learning abit about adb.

Guest clarkEEE1
From what I gather Paul's tweaked many more settings and bits and bobs. I bought mine sim free so firmware was vanilla anyway, but the modaco rom made such an obvious difference it's untrue. Device was sped up incredibly, along with (all I can think off at the mo) being able to install maps from the market (helps keep it more up to date), change animations, remove apps I don't need, tweak some extra system settings, do a proper backup and other stuff (i'm hoping) people will mention below.

Apps2sd is also good to have with modaco Rom.

Guest Carl_Brummy

Hi, I am new to this, and you may call be daft, but I have downloaded the img file from Rapidshare, copied to my SD card, rebooted (I have cynaogen 1.4 Recovery) and then used the command shell instructions.

When I issue the adb shell reboot bootloader the phone correctly reboots to the FASTBOOT USB

When I then try to issue the fastboot boot Recovery-RA-HERO-v1.2.2.img the message appears:

downloading 'boot.img' ... FAILED (remote: not allow).

What am I doing wrong?

Using HTC hero with Modaco Rom 2.3 installed, and Cyanogen 1.4 Recovery.

I only want to partition my SD Card ... :-(

*UPDATE* I have partitioned my SD Card manually using ADB SHELL and parted, but like the idea of having the additional features in recovery.

Thanks.

Edited by Carl_Brummy

Guest hufuntw

Question

When I want to partition my SD directly from the menu, some words on screen

It says.

Press the GREEN key to confirm.

But, I use HTC Hero. Where is the Green Key?

I have pushed each button. It always return to menu.

Edited by hufuntw

Guest clarkEEE1
Question

When I want to partition my SD directly from the menu, some words on screen

It says.

Press the GREEN key to confirm.

But, I use HTC Hero. Where is the Green Key?

I have pushed each button. It always return to menu.

The green key is the call button red key is the end button

Is this meant to be used with these file here ? And then you just replace the .img?

That's what I'm thinking.. 533.gif if not could someone please change it to a zip like how paul did

Hello.

I am trying to get the partition in order, and it all works fine until: adb shell -> it gives the answer: error: device not found.

But when I try it before recovery boot, it works just fine, I can run the usual Linuxcommands. What have I done wrong ?? I downloaded & installed the latest usb-drivers.

TIA

Guest clarkEEE1
Hello.

I am trying to get the partition in order, and it all works fine until: adb shell -> it gives the answer: error: device not found.

But when I try it before recovery boot, it works just fine, I can run the usual Linuxcommands. What have I done wrong ?? I downloaded & installed the latest usb-drivers.

TIA

Are you sure you got the sdk and the right cmd path to the tools folder, also did you update to the new network roms recently.

Guest targetal

hello,

this recovery image seems even better than the one provided by modaco/cyanogen(?)

anyway, I got a fresh microSD 8GB class 6, took the option to partition it to ext2/swap/fat32, took the option to switch ext2 to ext3 and then took the option to move apps+cache to sdcard

now I can't obviously launch my installed apps :) so what should I do know ?

cheers!

PS: OK! I got it to work! I think I'll post a total-noobie-guide in the separate topic.

Edited by targetal

How to install that one after the permanently installation of the Cyanogen recovery ?

via flashrec it's not possible... =/

Edited by kookix

Guest clarkEEE1
How to install that one after the permanently installation of the Cyanogen recovery ?

via flashrec it's not possible... =/y

Download the recovery image, copy to your sdcard not in any folders and put it in sdk tools folder, then follow instructions onfirst page everything you need to no is in these 3 pages

Edited by clarkEEE1

• 1 month later...
Guest Marcony0
This is a custom recovery specifically build for devices without keyboard.

post-588018-1253139903_thumb.png post-588018-1253139909_thumb.png

Features

• root
  • full ADB access in recovery mode
  • Partition your SD directly from the menu! (500MB Ext2, 32MB Swap, remaining Fat32)
  • Repair ext filesystem, convert ext2 to ext3, fix package mismatches, move apps2SD directly from the menu!
  • Flash ANY .zip from your SD - by krut0n
  • 51dusty's sdparted v0.5.1 util
  • Loads of scrips and binaries from Cyanogen's v1.4 dream recovery
  • Nandroid v2.2 backup and restore
  • Busybox
  • Green colored menu with a nice HTC logo :D
  • See detailed changelog for more details!
  • See attached screenshots :)

Download

Latest :

RA-HERO-v1.2.2 - MD5Sum: 05cf03c4d9f273072f2df868da593a36

How to use/install

Try it out WITHOUT making changes to your device (NO flashing):

fastboot boot Recovery-RA-HERO-v1.2.2.img
Flash it permanently :
adb shell reboot bootloader (wait for device to reboot into bootloader)

fastboot boot Recovery-RA-HERO-v1.2.2.img

adb shell mount /sdcard

adb push Recovery-RA-HERO-v1.2.2.img /sdcard/Recovery-RA-HERO-v1.2.2.img

adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/Recovery-RA-HERO-v1.2.2.img

Changelog :

recovery_RA_Changelog.txt

Special thanks to :

packetlss for showing me the secret to make it boot :D

enlightener for helping me out with the packaging and hero trackball scan-codes :D

51dusty for his super sdparted script! Thanks! ^^

Cyanogen for his dedicated work! , buy him a beer!

JesusFreke for his awesome JFv1.43's recovery , donate

I love it :D nice set of options :D