HTC Sync 2.0.4 problem on XP SP3

Guest marc112

Hello everybody, time for my first post on this forum!

Happy owner of a Hero for 2 weeks now, but I have a problem with HTC Sync 2.0.4:

When the Hero is not connected to my notebook, there is some activity on the notebook every 4 seconds, shown as a short flash of an hourglass next to my mouse pointer.

It took me a couple of hours to pinpoint this back to HTC Sync. Apparently, one of the processes needed for HTC Sync, HTCVBTServer.exe, keeps very active all the time even when the Hero is disconnected. Every 4 seconds, tt spawns and kills a new instance of an other process called FsynSrvStarter.exe. Leading to the very annoying flashing hourglass every 4 seconds. :)

I found some more information on this: http://www.htcforums.com/hero-touch-f40/ht...mory-t2791.html

The only way of stopping the flashing hourglass is killing the process HTCVBTServer.exe in Windows Task Manager.. Of course, HTC Sync doesn't work anymore after that, even after restarting HTCVBTServer.exe.

Question 1: anybody else with this problem? Have you found a way to solve it?

Question 2: I want to install the previous version of HTC Sync (I think it was called 2.0.2) that was on the SD card, to see if that version has the same problem. Stupidly enough, I formatted my SD card and lost the program file. I've looked around everywhere on the internet (including htc.com), without success.

Would anybody be so kind and send me this previous version of HTC Sync?

EDIT: have received install file, so please ignore question 2.

Thanks for your help, best regards,

Marc

Edited by marc112

Well, the install file I received was version 2.0.4 too :)

So I am once again looking for version 2.0.2.

Is anybody willing to help me and send it to me or provide me with a download link?

Thanks for your help!

Marc

Guest CombinedEffort

Can I add a 'me too' for 2.0.2? 2.0.4 is a PoS!

Rich

p.s. Trying to install Orange update ROM - I assume you need a working HTC Sync before you can do this...

p.p.s Argh! Windows! Sooo much easier to just flash the fricking ROM from the command line!

Guest rhedgehog
Can I add a 'me too' for 2.0.2? 2.0.4 is a PoS!

Rich

p.s. Trying to install Orange update ROM - I assume you need a working HTC Sync before you can do this...

p.p.s Argh! Windows! Sooo much easier to just flash the fricking ROM from the command line!

No, you don;t need a working HTC Sync to update. HTC Sync is just used for the drivers.

It goes via Fastboot/ADB and HTC Sync installs the HTC version of the ADB drivers along with a few other bits.

If you know how to flash from the command line, do it that way, as that is all the RUU does in the end anyway, it just automates it.

Is nobody else having the problem I described?

And nobody who has version 2.0.2 for me? :D

I have monitored HTCVBTServer.exe with Process Explorer: with the Hero disconnected from the pc, it creates two additional handles every 4 seconds (explaining the flashing hourglass). So: 20000 handles in 24 hrs. If I'd leave my pc on for a couple of days, XP would certainly crash.

Serious bug! And annoying hourglass every 4 seconds..

I have made a workaround by suspending HTCVBTServer when my Hero is disconnected and resuming it before I sync, but would appreciate to get version 2.0.2 from somebody and see if that works better.

BTW I contacted HTC via email: 'we do not have older version, try to get from somebody else. RE: problem described: please reinstall' :)

Cheers,

Marc

Edited by marc112

Well, I finally managed to test version 2.0.2 of HTC Sync. Same problem as in 2.0.4: process HCTVBTServer.exe is leaking handles..

As a workaround I now manually suspend and resume HCTVBTServer via 2 tiny batch programmes on my desktop.

Hope HTC will fix this in a future release of HTC Sync. They had no clue at all what I was saying when I contacted them, so might take some time :)

Cheers, Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Similar issue here with Windows 7 64bit.

This morning my HDD was flickering constantly which I thought was odd as Win7 usually runs so well. A quick look in taskmanager and HTCVBTServer.exe was using some CPU on and off every few secs (phone disconnected).

Uninstalled HTCsync and the problem has gone. I think ill just wait for a new version and hope they fix it.

• 4 months later...

HCTVBTServer.exe is the biggest POS on my XP SP3 PC it makes online gaming impossible

HTC Sync is a HORRIBLE way to tether

Edited by hnsez

• 1 month later...
Guest jdwis

hi

I have similar problem with this.

The mouse keeps flickering from ideal to busy states, even if system is not really doing anything..

I was very much worried abt that flickering thing, I thought my system was infected with maware or adware, it took me quite few hours to finally spot the problem that it was HTC Sync..

You mentioned if anyone spotted this or not, I assume people might be quite busy to overlook this issue..

but this issue is certainly there... (I assume)

as you mentioned I would try the solution..

Initially I thought it could be the problem with Win7, so I freshly installed XP and tried that as well but the problem persisted on XP as well..

Hope HTC people get some sort of proper solution...