How to use compass in google maps

Guest da_mafkeez

Guest da_mafkeez

The omnia pro has an megnetometer, also known as a compass. That is confirmed. But, how to use it in google maps like the htc hero (android)???

thanx in advance.

Guest spaanplaat
The omnia pro has an megnetometer, also known as a compass. That is confirmed. But, how to use it in google maps like the htc hero (android)???

thanx in advance.

I'm sorry but you can not! This is due to the fact that Google maps for winmo doesn't support it yet. Perhaps in the near future releases.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sorry but you can not! This is due to the fact that Google maps for winmo doesn't support it yet. Perhaps in the near future releases.

is it only a software problem?? for example the navigation software sygic for nokia navigator use it!

is it only a software problem?? for example the navigation software sygic for nokia navigator use it!

Guest da_mafkeez

yes, its a software problem. they must rebuild (a part of) their code of google maps or another navi software to work with the compass driver of the omnia. i dont know of sygic has done that already?

Guest dherrero

Compass api isnt present in windws api but in samsung api. I dont think google or other company releases sofware for only samsung devices. We ve to wait until that api belongs to windows. Maybe WM6.5.1 (6.5 doesnt include it)Dani

Guest da_mafkeez
if you want to try the compass, there's a incredible automatic panorama option in photos

its not working, can you give us more information about your experience? thanx

its not working, can you give us more information about your experience? thanx

What ?? it works on mine and is incredible you take one pic, you choose to rotate yourself in a direction slowly and it shows a square with the next photo to take, when on it, it shoot and wait for next one max 8 at the end it creates a pano

panorama shot does not make use of compass! it recognizes the end of the first frame at the beginning of the new one.

i dont know what you mean, what else could do that so perfectly.

i dont know what you mean, what else could do that so perfectly.

you can make a panorama shot without rotating the device. e.g. focus on googlemaps (map only, no borders or texts around the map) move the map to the side. this will work too.

Edited by auipga

you can make a panorama shot without rotating the device. e.g. focus on googlemaps (map only, no borders or texts around the map) move the map to the side. this will work too.

stranger and stranger

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ingvarr

What is so strange - ever heard of image recognition? :D

For example, Hugin panoramic software that I use to make my panoramas are even more impressive - it almost 100% stitch proof and can even recognise transient( moving) stuff like walking people, etc that different on different shots, so they are excluded.

What is so strange - ever heard of image recognition? :D

For example, Hugin panoramic software that I use to make my panoramas are even more impressive - it almost 100% stitch proof and can even recognise transient( moving) stuff like walking people, etc that different on different shots, so they are excluded.

what you mean i'm the only one to use it here ? the others are trying to speak about ... apparently something else

• 2 months later...
Guest Chadwicky

thanx in advance.

I have a Samsung Omnia II, which also has the ometer compass thing... anyway to use this with Google Maps Mobile yet??? I've been searching all over cyberspace and no luck so far :)

Guest VOODOOS!L

TomTom makes use of the compass build in into the B7610 I suppose. When not moving, it determines your direction based on this compass (I noticed since my compass was not configured correctly and every time I stopped, TomTom thought I made a U-turn.

GpsModDriver can be used to make TomTom work on Omnia B7610 and it can change the compass configuration (I'm still trying out some different configs).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...266&page=19

• 4 months later...
Guest me00016
TomTom makes use of the compass build in into the B7610 I suppose. When not moving, it determines your direction based on this compass (I noticed since my compass was not configured correctly and every time I stopped, TomTom thought I made a U-turn.

GpsModDriver can be used to make TomTom work on Omnia B7610 and it can change the compass configuration (I'm still trying out some different configs).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...266&page=19

With GpsModDriver I managed to make the compass work with Googlemaps 3.3.1 (in conjuction with GPS!!!) and Igo8.3 (pedestrian mode only). A little bit laggy and inacurate, but it works. If anybody wants to share configs that make it smoother and more accurate, please do so.

However, Googlemaps have already support for HD2 compass without 3rd party sw. I hope to see it support also our device's compass in the future...

Edited by me00016

Guest ninjaw

what the heck are you both talking about

-Nothing is using Omnia compass now

-I don't need any software to use any softare, i just launch it and it works.

Guest VOODOOS!L

GpsModDriver is certainly using the Omnia compass

if I don't install GpsModDriver the gps connection comes up very slowly using TomTom 7. Even with all the registry tricks explained in the forum.

iGo goes very well without GpsModDriver or any other similar program, only tomtom is very slow to find a fix if no extra program is installed. I tried many times...

Guest santoo

of course. for example o2compass (look at the i8000 forums here) does & it works very well on the b7610s as well

not sure what you mean; but even if you don't need gpsmoddriver, you still need e.g. samsungs sdk or microsofts .net framework to run certain apps, so "I don't need software to use any software" seems a little dubious :)

Guest ninjaw

I dont think so, and i don't see why ? proove it with a link plz ?

If i remember correctly GpsModDriver is the bad tool you cannot uninstall correctly ?

My totom is fixing slow but working, exept when I fixed be4 with something else.

The B7610 is definitivly very bad : Whatever rom i use, there is often, no way fixing with anything, even after reset, the thing is simply waiting forever, when you watch Igo8 at this moment you can see the number of sats coming up and low until 0. Surely not normal...

However sometimes it cold fixes in less than 20sec.

Guest ninjaw

If i remember correctly GpsModDriver is the bad tool you cannot uninstall correctly ?

My totom is fixing slow but working, exept when I fixed be4 with something else.

The B7610 is definitivly very bad : Whatever rom i use, there is often, no way fixing with anything, even after reset, the thing is simply waiting forever, when you watch Igo8 at this moment you can see the number of sats coming up and low until 0. Surely not normal...

Guest ninjaw
of course. for example o2compass (look at the i8000 forums here) does & it works very well on the b7610s as well

not sure what you mean; but even if you don't need gpsmoddriver, you still need e.g. samsungs sdk or microsofts .net framework to run certain apps, so "I don't need software to use any software" seems a little dubious :)

really ? you mean the tool i host ? yeah i know it works, now back to the discussion and .. what map tool is using it ?

Guest VOODOOS!L

did you test/read about GpsModDriver? I did a lot of tests with TomTom without GpsModDriver with all registry keys explained in forums, but fix is very slow. Next I installed GpsModDriver, fix is now very fast.

some compass config can be applied in GpsModDriver, and it is using the compass only when driving not to fast (eg when you drive between 1 and 5km/h) once you go faster, it can detect your orientation based on the gps history.

but I guess compass is disturbed in car, I never get the compass config to work exactly as needed.