For my Pulse rooting solution I thought i'd do something a bit different - introducing.... Superboot!
Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!
How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX
- Download the Superboot zip file from below and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - turn if off, then tap the powerbutton while holding the 'Volume Down' and 'End (Red)' keys
- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'
Check if you have the 'December Update' - turn the device off, then turn if on with 'volume down' and 'end call' held. If the build date is Nov 26 2009 or newer, you have the December update applied.
Version for devices WITH the 'December Update' - http://loadbalancing...mb0k87f9c51eqg9
Version for devices WITHOUT the 'December Update' - http://loadbalancing...65pv39jj2oz6b6e
That's it, job done! Enjoy!