Best Buy's mIQ or Microsoft's MyPhone?

Guest philly-d

Guest philly-d
thumb_13-Oct-2009_mIQ_dashboard.png
We recently reported the news that the Dashwire service had been relaunched as Dashworks, which is the software behind Best Buy's mIQ service.

Now cNet have a short feature comparision review of Microsoft MyPhone vs BestBuy's mIQ.

I've only recently got my mIQ login to give it a try, so will give the full verdict in a few days, but in short, there are parts I like, and parts I don't like!

Read more about Microsoft MyPhone and mIQ.

[Via WMPowerUser]

Guest mwright

Well I thought that I would give MiQ a try since I had been using Dashwire in the past, hoping that they had fixed some of the problems that stopped me using it.

Well - they haven't (at least for me - but it can't be JUST me can it?)

It seems to miss out messages at random, although seemingly mostly outgoing messages. This makes it virtually useless since I want everything backed up not juse what it chooses to do.

Last night it completely ran down my battery while achieving nothing! The sync progress bar did not move at all and, over the seven hours it was running, it took my battery down from 100% to 5%.

At the moment, the website is showing that I had two missed calls yesterday - when in fact one was on the 8th and one on the 6th of October.

Oh and they STILL don't have any support for recurring calendar events. I would have thought they might have done that by now?

ANyway - has anyone got any beter experience or shall I just put it down to me?

Cheers

Edited by mwright

Guest RobertCeuppens

Its not just you! It kept locking up my Touch 3G and killing the battery. Also I have over 300 contacts on the phone but there was never more than 37 on the web page. Sync just kept syncing forever but nothing else was getting synced. I had to delete it in the end just to keep the phone working. I prefer MyPhone as it also has the options to lock the phone and delete the content. The only thing missing from MyPhone is the call logs - when they get this it will be perfect! :)

Rob.

Guest mwright
I've only recently got my mIQ login to give it a try, so will give the full verdict in a few days, but in short, there are parts I like, and parts I don't like!

So - did you try it then?

Any more joy than I had?

• 8 months later...
Guest m:IQ Live

I wanted to give you an update that Best Buy Mobile recently released an Android version of its m:IQ cloud sync service (http://miqlive.com) to the Android Market (Éclair devices only)!

If you’re unfamiliar with m:IQ, think of it as a FREE version of Apple MobileMe for all other smartphone platforms (Android, BlackBerry, S60, WinMo), designed to help users get the most out of their mobile phone experiences – without ever having to think about it. 

m:IQ helps users sync their contacts, text messages, calendar events, calls, photos, videos, and internet favorites from their phones to their private web-based m:IQ account.  Once backed-up in the cloud, users can interact with their information in exciting new ways, send and receive text messages, share their experiences with friends and social sites, and easily restore their content when moving from one phone to the next.  Content instantly transfers between the phone and the web without requiring any user interaction – ensuring that users are always backed-up and have access to their information. 

There are a ton of details we can go into, but in terms of how we think this release creates distinct value for the Android community:

1)      Data migration to Android:  From BlackBerry, WinMo, S60 – key for a large number of users (check it out) 

2)      Single location online to access, interact with & share: Instead of multiple destinations, m:IQ offers a single location where all content is integrated in a private account on the web, making it easy for all types of users to feel assured that their data is safe and able to access and interact with their content in exciting new ways

3)      Fastest and most encompassing sync experience on Android:  Fastest, most seamless sync of phone data types, including support for multiple contact/calendar accounts

But what we’re really hoping is that you guys can install the Android app from the Market and check it out yourselves: http://tinyurl.com/installmiq!

We’re happy to answer any questions you might have, and are hopeful that you’ll get a chance to check out the experience we’ve built and let us know what you think!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.