Requesting Mentorship

Guest KaozLabs

Guest utdsoccer18

i got a bootable rom that works but....... i have about 100 pixels above the startbar that dont show. when i pull up a menu though i can see the full menu but nothing in the background in that 100 pixel area. i figure i must a pulled something out of the oem thats causing this but i just cant figure it out.... any ideas?

Edited by utdsoccer18

okay I added in the stock OEM stuff...no changes or edits in any way and it still gets stuck as soon as the rom is flashed.

I couldn't get get it to boot with the stock OEM stuff, but when I took the OEM from Adryn's Kitchen (as linked on Bgill55's tut: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=9...mp;postcount=1), it flashed and booted. Maybe I will revisit the stock OEM once I know what I am doing.

Here are the steps that worked for me, the best I remember them:

1. Put WoZZeR base kitchen 1.02 into c:\kitchen

2. unzip 23071 so that rom and sys folders combine with ones in kitchen

3. took OEM folder from Adryn's 6.5 kitchen (from 400mb file named 23008.7z) and combined it with base kitchen oem folder.

4. this details may be unimportant, but I think I ran shell.cmd as Admin

5. in shell I may have run "Recmod SYS.cmd" (still haven't figured out what that does yet) and I ran "Enable XPR.cmd" and "Enable LZX.cmd" a few times (I didn't realize they were mutually exclusive at first.

6. ran "Clear file attributes.cmd" just to be sure.

7. I may have had to change oem\OEM_Lang_0409\initflashfiles.dat to unicode (open in notepad++ menu:format|encode in utf-8)

8. ran BuildROM.cmd and came out with a ROM that fully booted.

If I remembered that all right then you should be able to start from scratch and it should boot. I'm still sorting through OEMApps, but I have a workable rom for starters.

Edited by btben

Guest utdsoccer18

so i was able to fix the screen. everything works great. got ezinput to work. still need to clean some stuff up. but i noticed something interesting:

1) when i was missing part of the screen above the startbar, i had no keyboard whatsoever but i had the 'native' kenetic scrolling without ftouchsl.

2) when i built the rom with the ezinput oem package, i had the full screen showing up, ezinput worked like a charm but i lost kinetic scrolling and went back to the clicking.

I just thought id throw it out there. experienced cooks might already know this, but if they didn't maybe it could help to get rid of that annoying clicking altogether.

Guest KaozLabs
so i was able to fix the screen. everything works great. got ezinput to work. still need to clean some stuff up. but i noticed something interesting:

1) when i was missing part of the screen above the startbar, i had no keyboard whatsoever but i had the 'native' kenetic scrolling without ftouchsl.

2) when i built the rom with the ezinput oem package, i had the full screen showing up, ezinput worked like a charm but i lost kinetic scrolling and went back to the clicking.

I just thought id throw it out there. experienced cooks might already know this, but if they didn't maybe it could help to get rid of that annoying clicking altogether.

thanks for the update UTD...gonna try those steps now. Maybe I blew up something.

I am wondering if the stock OEM is for WM6.1 since that is what the omnia comes with and the kitchen is for WM6.5? that could maybe cause it to blow up?

BTW...where did you get the EZInput cab?

Edited by KaozLabs

Guest utdsoccer18

i think its just trial and error as to what will work with 6.5. i only messed with oemapps and initflashfiles.dat.... nothing else. i didnt even mess with the sys. thats my next step.

if you go to wozzer's 4shared folder you'll see "pcarvalho_ezinput_2_1_qvga.7z" in there. grab that, extract it and bam you got the oem package, but be careful because it had two dsm and two rgu files. I deleted the pair that starts with a # and havent had a problem... good luck

Guest KaozLabs
i think its just trial and error as to what will work with 6.5. i only messed with oemapps and initflashfiles.dat.... nothing else. i didnt even mess with the sys. thats my next step.

if you go to wozzer's 4shared folder you'll see "pcarvalho_ezinput_2_1_qvga.7z" in there. grab that, extract it and bam you got the oem package, but be careful because it had two dsm and two rgu files. I deleted the pair that starts with a # and havent had a problem... good luck

got it thanks

Guest KaozLabs

ok I did what you said copying over the 23008 OEM and im still failing. I dloaded Notepad++ and converted the initflash.dat file to UTF8 as well. I had to change the readonly property of the file...did u have to do that?

so far ive still got nothing going here...WTB BGILL

UTD are u using the Omnia UMDL to flash with or did u use that tool on Wozz's kitchen on your i910?

Guest utdsoccer18

for the initflashfiles.dat file - i just opened with notepad++, cleared the read only flag, did my thing, and then put the flag back on. never didnt any enocding. dont know if any of it is the proper way to do things, but it worked for me.

i am using the UMDL software, didn't know there was something else to use haha

Guest utdsoccer18

hmmmm.... i had trouble a few times. and i dont really know if all this was necessary but i just did it: i just moved all my stuff into a clean kitchen and also took a fresh initflashfiles.dat file and edited it again. and lastlly if that didnt work i would try XPR compression.

o yeah and dont forget to make sure you run clear file attributes.cmd before you build it.

Edited by utdsoccer18

Guest KaozLabs

does ur buildlog have a bunch of places where it says it was overwriting rec.txt?

also when u run xpr do u get a message in the window saying it cant find copy.txt?

Guest KaozLabs
hmmmm.... i had trouble a few times. and i dont really know if all this was necessary but i just did it: i just moved all my stuff into a clean kitchen and also took a fresh initflashfiles.dat file and edited it again. and lastlly if that didnt work i would try XPR compression.

o yeah and dont forget to make sure you run clear file attributes.cmd before you build it.

maybe that is where i am screwin up...i ran clear first

Guest dmcnado
maybe that is where i am screwin up...i ran clear first

I run them in this order:

1. Clear attributes

2. Enable LZX

3. Recmod SYS

4. Buildrom

Works in that order.

Guest KaozLabs
I run them in this order:

1. Clear attributes

2. Enable LZX

3. Recmod SYS

4. Buildrom

Works in that order.

trying this method now...building rom and crossing my fingers....tell me if i got this wrong.

I am just copying the stock oem into my kitchen...im not tryin to edit anything..that should work correct?

Guest dmcnado
trying this method now...building rom and crossing my fingers....tell me if i got this wrong.

I am just copying the stock oem into my kitchen...im not tryin to edit anything..that should work correct?

I've read posts in the Wozzer's Kitchen thread that lead me to believe that the stock OEM is too big and that could cause your rom to hang up. Also, have you been looking at your buildlog? That stuff can be helpful in troubleshooting. Sometimes you might be missing a file and the log helps you identify that (I know this from personal experience).

Other advice that was helpful to me at the beginning was to make sure your file structure is correct.

OEM>All OEMs (not another folder with OEMs in it)

ROM>XIP>23xxx>MSXIPKERNEL

SYS>23xxx>All SYS Files

Guest blazingwolf
I've read posts in the Wozzer's Kitchen thread that lead me to believe that the stock OEM is too big and that could cause your rom to hang up. Also, have you been looking at your buildlog? That stuff can be helpful in troubleshooting. Sometimes you might be missing a file and the log helps you identify that (I know this from personal experience).

Correct on all counts.

Guest KaozLabs
Correct on all counts.

ok so in my OEM folder i have the oems from the 23008 kitchen like discuessed in an earlier post....then i have the 5 folders like the ones in the stock oem...is that where i am screwing up...should the oems located in the OEMapps folder be in the root of the main OEM folder? im taking half a day off today when I get home I will post my folder structure

Guest blazingwolf
ok so in my OEM folder i have the oems from the 23008 kitchen like discuessed in an earlier post....then i have the 5 folders like the ones in the stock oem...is that where i am screwing up...should the oems located in the OEMapps folder be in the root of the main OEM folder? im taking half a day off today when I get home I will post my folder structure

It should look similar to this image. You will probably have other OEM files added.

post-142761-1256314283_thumb.png

Guest blazingwolf
looks similar but i dont have an oem2.cer

That shouldn't matter. I know with the the OEM WoZZer posted it needs to have things removed before it will work. As mentioned before it seems to be a size issue.

Guest utdsoccer18

to anyone who can answer....

i am able to build a bootable and working rom, although im still trying to free up my slot0. im sure that will come, but the thing that's bugging me the most is that i can't for the life of me get kinectic scrolling.... i tried to build in FtouchSL with an oem package and i tried to leave it out of the build and just install it with a cab. i made sure all my registry values for the HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH key were correct, but still no kinetic scrolling. i would figure that the cab installation would for sure get me kinetic scrolling if i didnt build it in but it doesn't.... its blowing my mind. my thought is that i either took something out of the OEMApps folder that i shouldn't have OR i left something in that i shouldn't have. any suggestions???

Guest blazingwolf
to anyone who can answer....

i am able to build a bootable and working rom, although im still trying to free up my slot0. im sure that will come, but the thing that's bugging me the most is that i can't for the life of me get kinectic scrolling.... i tried to build in FtouchSL with an oem package and i tried to leave it out of the build and just install it with a cab. i made sure all my registry values for the HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH key were correct, but still no kinetic scrolling. i would figure that the cab installation would for sure get me kinetic scrolling if i didnt build it in but it doesn't.... its blowing my mind. my thought is that i either took something out of the OEMApps folder that i shouldn't have OR i left something in that i shouldn't have. any suggestions???

Post your reg edits for the OEM.

Guest utdsoccer18

first off ---

i want to thank everyone in here and wozzer's kitchen topic for helping me out and getting me to where i'm at now with building my own rom. hopefully ill be able to get one up for people to try out. its been awhile since i have done this kinda stuff, but i LOVE it. i was a computer science major for two and a half years but i ended up finishing with EE. i miss this kind of stuff.

OK. So i got my slot0 down to zero with the help of waremike's batch tool and a little trial and error. i also was able install ftouchsl and get kinetic scrolling with a cab. havent tried to build it in again. here is the reg edits in the OEM for ftouchsl ive been using:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH]

"DriverName"="FTouchSLDLL.dll"

"PrevDriverName"="touch.dll"

"Click"=dword:7D0

"DownUp"=dword:00000096

"CalibrationData"="504,503 177,881 182,129 847,127 849,872"

i also took out the welcome screen on the first boot. i was also wondering that since i flashed and tweaked around with my device's registry, if it was possible to just have one .rgu file for all of my OEM packages, SYS, and XIP that just writes out the entire registry the way it is now and just delete all the single rgu files? this seems like a good idea to me but i have a feeling it would be "bad practice" when updating the SYS and XIP. also i have a feeling i just shouldn't mess with the XIP. either way i know my rgu files in my OEM packages need some cleaning\tweaking but since i have the registry the way i want it on the device now, im hoping there could be an easier way to cook it in that having to go through all the .rgu files.

any help is appreciated

Guest KaozLabs

Ok everyone thanks to BGILL's new kitchen I finally have a booting rom. I am playing with my OEM's now and within the next day or so you will be able to try out my first cooked ROM. I am calling it Kaozlabs Black Dragon edition. I still have alot of tweaking to do so there isnt a custom theme as of yet. But please feel free to flash it and let me know what you think of the core.

Guest eclsnowman
Ok everyone thanks to BGILL's new kitchen I finally have a booting rom. I am playing with my OEM's now and within the next day or so you will be able to try out my first cooked ROM. I am calling it Kaozlabs Black Dragon edition. I still have alot of tweaking to do so there isnt a custom theme as of yet. But please feel free to flash it and let me know what you think of the core.

When did Bgill release a kitchen? Where can I get it.