hero VS htc hd2

Guest jgtthd

anyone have any thoughts?

i just saw a video of the HD2 and it looks amazing + it has the snapdragon 1ghz processor so i imagine it flies.

with that hige screen they also had the decency to add divx support.

am very tempted........but love my hero.

thoughts??

Guest tacchan23

I think it depends on the main use of your phone.

Me, for example, would never ever buy any phone with less than a 3.7" screen becouse I like to use it to watch movie and mostly read comics.

But I guess for all the other people who are happy with a smaller screen, maybe there is not much need to go back to a WM phone from Android...

I think it depends on the main use of your phone.

Me, for example, would never ever buy any phone with less than a 3.7" screen becouse I like to use it to watch movie and mostly read comics.

But I guess for all the other people who are happy with a smaller screen, maybe there is not much need to go back to a WM phone from Android...

watching movies on the handset is a big bonus for me when travelling to be honest so i agree with you

Guest Remington Steale

I have my iPod Touch for watching movies and listening to music, to be totally blunt (and I am ready for all the abuse) the Hero wont ever be as good as that for those two purposes.

But its far better than the iPhone for the other functions I require.

As for the HD2 looks nice enough, but you can be sure HTC have messed something up on it (Can you say Hero camera with no flash??

There isnt really any point comparing the Hero and HD2, aside from anything else one is a windows phone (shudders)

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest shokka9

The HTC Hero will never do that job of the ipod aswell as the ipod, for obvious reasons.

However, if HTC made a dedicated media player, i think it would compete.

The Hero has been designed ultimately as a mobile communication device primarily, and a media player second. I didnt expect big things from the Hero.

I wanted Android, and HTC, so i have them. I am happy :)

I have other devices for other stuff, so i don't care for the arguements. It is what it is!!

:(

i am happy that people are helping me out here.

the hero was my first android handset and i do like it but again my attraction to the touch hd2 was the big screen and fast processor.

it seems to have all of the features of the hero plus a better camera and flash.

why does everyone say windows mobile is so bad?

why does eveyrone think android is so good?

just asking...i mean i have rooted my hero and am running the modoco roms (obviously) but am not a developer so don't see what the differnece would be.

again commenst welcome!! and needed

why does eveyrone think android is so good?

because it is bad. for starters:

- it looks like win3.1 (start screen was redesigned for wm6.5 - woohoo!)

- it has a registry (you don't even want to deal with that thing on a pc, not to speak of a mobile phone)

- it is closed source

i'm sure the list will fill up. funny that this is brought up here, i just came from a windows mobile promo desk in front of our canteen, the guy tried to "sell" (what a nice wordplay) me the fact that windows mobile costs money for the licence as an ADVANTAGE of wm over android... he tried to argument that "it is not possible to make money on the internet" while talking about google. i nearly laughed my ass of... :)

because it is bad. for starters:

- it looks like win3.1 (start screen was redesigned for wm6.5 - woohoo!)

- it has a registry (you don't even want to deal with that thing on a pc, not to speak of a mobile phone)

- it is closed source

i'm sure the list will fill up. funny that this is brought up here, i just came from a windows mobile promo desk in front of our canteen, the guy tried to "sell" (what a nice wordplay) me the fact that windows mobile costs money for the licence as an ADVANTAGE of wm over android... he tried to argument that "it is not possible to make money on the internet" while talking about google. i nearly laughed my ass of... :)

fair enough about your last comment.

i basically want a really powerful mobile phone for internet/emails/music and movies.

i like my hero alot but the stats and videos that i have seen for the HD2 look like it will blow the hero out of the water.

Guest Remington Steale

i basically want a really powerful mobile phone for internet/emails/music and movies.

i like my hero alot but the stats and videos that i have seen for the HD2 look like it will blow the hero out of the water.

In the end it's down to personal preference.

Do remember though that Winmo 6.5 is just winmo 6 tied together with spit and baling wire, the cracks really do show the deeper you go into setting screens.

HTC have done a very good job of hiding the windows part of the OS.

well maybe for the screen, i don't see where there is much space for improvement on the mails (except for some flaws, like not to be able to mark multiple msgs as read... but i am sure htc will lay their hands on that some time). i don't miss a bit at the music player, though i can see where people are missing features. videos work great (was on a 2x 6hour drive last weekend, watched several episodes and movies on the hero).

no questions asked that android blows wm away concerning browsing, imho.

and like i told the guy this morning: "maybe i will have another look when wm7 is out..."

well maybe for the screen, i don't see where there is much space for improvement on the mails (except for some flaws, like not to be able to mark multiple msgs as read... but i am sure htc will lay their hands on that some time). i don't miss a bit at the music player, though i can see where people are missing features. videos work great (was on a 2x 6hour drive last weekend, watched several episodes and movies on the hero).

no questions asked that android blows wm away concerning browsing, imho.

and like i told the guy this morning: "maybe i will have another look when wm7 is out..."

thanks everyone....really don't know what to do but T Mobile UK are offering me the HD2 for free (as my bills are HUGE) so i may take it just to see....i still have my hero if i don't like it.

i have never used a windows mobile though - WHAT are the big issues with it that everyone keeps talking about?

My issues with the HERO are mainly speed related. not scrolling though screens but opening emails they is lag etc etc even with the modoco 2.7 rom so really want to see what the snap dragon 1.0ghz can delivery but the UI seems to be very similar to the hero as both are sense ui.

and something that will annoy everyone but i have to ask. again i am a big phone user but why does everyone think android is the BEST? it seems to run nicely (hero is my first android) but nothing has jumped out as MUST HAVE

thanks everyone....really don't know what to do but T Mobile UK are offering me the HD2 for free (as my bills are HUGE) so i may take it just to see....i still have my hero if i don't like it.

i have never used a windows mobile though - WHAT are the big issues with it that everyone keeps talking about?

My issues with the HERO are mainly speed related. not scrolling though screens but opening emails they is lag etc etc even with the modoco 2.7 rom so really want to see what the snap dragon 1.0ghz can delivery but the UI seems to be very similar to the hero as both are sense ui.

and something that will annoy everyone but i have to ask. again i am a big phone user but why does everyone think android is the BEST? it seems to run nicely (hero is my first android) but nothing has jumped out as MUST HAVE

because as soon hero kernel is out you can do pretty much everything you want with your device? no OS give you such options, you can change everything as you see fits, even if some other mobile operating system based on linux pops out, you could run it on your device, when on winmo phone, you have your closed source OS full of security holes and such, thats why i purchased android phone

I am not a "Dreamer" so i can face facts that hero is sometimes laggy (which i really hate) i am a pro fps gamer, so i catch any slowdowns in animation (even some that 95% normal ppl wont notice), hero is not a slow cellphone and in my opinion most of the lags are software related, there are lot of examples in rosie that i could show ppl that this "section" is just not well optimized as the other one and ofc proof that this is just bug on hTC side, i already tried show some of this things to hTC but i can't do anything when they wont accept any of this "bugs".

After Hero kernel is released ill probably wait for vanila android 2.0, and then flash it on my device (if hTC optimize rosie little more, then i probably stick to hero rom)

But i must say hTC ignoring this performance reports from me and probably others its not "exactly" because of them, but because of support guys, if i could talk with some developers at hTC i think we could work something out, but without any "direct" link to this ppl... "we are doomed" :)

Edited by cTn

Guest shokka9

The Touch HD2 will KILL the Hero for Video playback, due to the more powerful processor and better capabilities.

But for most other stuff, the Hero will be at equals...

For Internet and stuff like that i will bet that Android is better. WinMo is slow, cumbersome and ugly as hell. Trust me, i spent the last 12 months building custom ROMs based on it (WM6.1, WM6.5 & Wm6.5.1).

The HD2 is the better device, but its running the worst OS (imho).

Good luck, there will always be something the NEW phone (no matter what it is) CANNOT do, this is LIFE.

:)

The Touch HD2 will KILL the Hero for Video playback, due to the more powerful processor and better capabilities.

anything except from the bigger display? my hero plays videos in native resolution without any lags, i don't see too much potential for improvements, let alone "killing"...

Good luck, there will always be something the NEW phone (no matter what it is) CANNOT do, this is LIFE.

well said.

i get what you say about the kernal and from there the hero will be ulta customizable and i guess if i could make roms myself that would be awseom although i do like the mnodoco ones and like kendos themes...

i think as t mob have offered me the phone for free i will take it in a week or so when its out and give it a go as i will always have the hero to fall back on.

anything except from the bigger display? my hero plays videos in native resolution without any lags, i don't see too much potential for improvements, let alone "killing"...

well said.

yeah i have played movies on the hero with no lag altough i did have to convert them although that fast so not really an issues...just tempted by the super resolution and bigger screen of the HD2.

also the bigger screen means bigger virtual keyboard, i still struggle with typing on the small keyboard on the hero. i hate to say it but find the iphone easier to type on with that extra space. although i would never buy an iphone!!

yeah i have played movies on the hero with no lag altough i did have to convert them although that fast so not really an issues...just tempted by the super resolution and bigger screen of the HD2.

also the bigger screen means bigger virtual keyboard, i still struggle with typing on the small keyboard on the hero. i hate to say it but find the iphone easier to type on with that extra space. although i would never buy an iphone!!

have you tried to calibrate the keyboard? somewhere in the keyboard settings menu. for me that helped, i absolutely like the heros keyboard :)

Just ask yourself one question: Windows or Android.

exactly. for me there is absolutely no way of going (back) to winmo. android is just about everything i ever wanted for a phone, and it plays so well together with the hero it is almost frightening.

i actually see myself developing applications for android, nothing fancy at all, probably not even useful, but having successfully done it will be satisfying... :(

if it only wasn't always past 1:00 AM when i think about installing eclipse :)

Just ask yourself one question: Windows or Android.

not a helpful comment :)

i have never had problems with windows and from what i have read winmo 6.5 leading onto V7 are meant to be really good.

not a helpful comment :)

this was actually the best comment made to this topic, imho. and what now, do you expect us to make a decision for you?

i have never had problems with windows and from what i have read winmo 6.5 leading onto V7 are meant to be really good.

if you please could quote that, all i read was that winmo6.5 is a bigger joke than windows ME and vista together with sugar and cream on top... at least from an update point of view, as it was mainly 6.1 with a slightly polished UI...

this was actually the best comment made to this topic, imho. and what now, do you expect us to make a decision for you?

if you please could quote that, all i read was that winmo6.5 is a bigger joke than windows ME and vista together with sugar and cream on top... at least from an update point of view, as it was mainly 6.1 with a slightly polished UI...

ok thanks everyone, guess i will stick with my hero for the moment.

did you guys read this post about wimo 6.5?

Guest masterpfa
anyone have any thoughts?

i just saw a video of the HD2 and it looks amazing + it has the snapdragon 1ghz processor so i imagine it flies.

with that hige screen they also had the decency to add divx support.

am very tempted........but love my hero.

thoughts??

Why not?

Go for it mate, it has the features you want and your Mobile Phone provider is giving you the phone as a free upgrade.

I like many others have tried WinMo phones and I find the OS a mess, IMHO and as a result I am a Android and a HTC hero convert.

All phones etc. will have their shortcomings, iPhone larger storage and wealth of apps, Android an Open OS

You pays your money & takes your choice.

I have the iPod Touch for Music, Videos and love the larger screen, but use my HTC Hero (G2 Touch rally!!) more

The choice is yours!!!