Windows Mobile GPS Driver Issues

Guest mrslate

Guest mrslate

I'm not sure if anyone else has been developing on the Toshiba TG-01 as of yet, but I have been experiencing some strange behavior with the GPS. In my code, I am using the Microsoft.WindowsMobile.Samples.Location GPS wrapper (that uses the built in Windows Mobile GPS driver) to acquire GPS data in conjunction with Compact Framework 3.5. This has worked on a number of other windows mobile 6 devices really well and I have never had any problems. It also has even worked fine with the Toshiba TG-01 on a number of occassions. However, sometimes I will power off the device (by holding down the power button and selecting "Power Off"), turn it back on, and test the GPS driver to find that it will no long provide valid GPS data. When i say not valid, I mean that all the IsValid properties in the GPS location wrapper are marked as false. According to my debugging, the GPS's device state is listed as ON, but it never delivers any accurate fix data (or even the set of satellites its trying to get a fix from). The location changed events are thrown, but all the data is listed as invalid.

Once this occurs, it seems the only way to fix the problem is to Master Clear the phone. Once I do that, everything is back to normal. I have tried changing the External GPS settings, completely draining the phone by removing the battery, and even turning Off and then On the GPS Intermediate Driver in the registry. However, none of those changes actually affect the problem the at all.

This same problem has shown up in both Windows Mobile 6.1 and 6.5. Anybody have any suggestions?

Guest walding2006

i have a problem running copilot or google maps on the toshiba tg01 using the intergrated gps, sometimes the gps stops working and will not lock on till a hard reset is done on the phone, it worked ok till i put windows 6.5 on it

Edited by walding2006

sounds a bit similar to not closing file handles, the system can only allocate so many, then if theyre not being closed properly, then it just stops handing them out, and doesnt do anything about hanging handles etc.

all i can think of :S

Guest mrslate

Yea, after doing some more testing, it seems that by building the code in Debug versus Release mode, the problem seems to go away. It doesn't make any sense to me but hopefully Toshiba will release some kind of fix since there seems to be so many problems with GPS software and this phone.