Universal phone charger approved

Guest tsutton

Guest tsutton
thumb_23-Oct-2009_micro-usb-universal-charger-300x300.jpg

After a while, it has been announced that the Universal phone charger has been finally approved! No more old phone chargers left lying in your drawers once your old mobile phone 'expires'. No more trying to find the correct charger for your mobile phone.

The new charger will be in the popular Micro USB plug format, which is now popular in most digital camera, memory card reader, etc.

A new mobile phone charger that will work with any handset has been approved by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), a United Nations body.

Industry body the GSMA predicts that 51,000 tonnes of redundant chargers are generated each year.

Currently most chargers are product or brand specific, so people tend to change them when they upgrade to a new phone.

However, the new energy-efficient chargers can be kept for much longer.

The GSMA also estimates that they will reduce annual greenhouse gas emissions by 13.6m tonnes.

Nice one International Telecommunication Union (ITU), for doing this!

If I can recall it correctly, I think I have about 4 or 5 different mobile phone charger in my drawer. Now with this being approved, this will free up our geek drawers. :D

So how many chargers do you have?

[Via: BBC News Technology]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mysterious Stranger
thumb_23-Oct-2009_micro-usb-universal-charger-300x300.jpg

The new charger will be in the popular Micro USB plug format, which is now popular in most digital camera, memory card reader, etc.

[Via: BBC News Technology]

Micro USB *popular*? Not yet. I think you're confusing it with mini USB. Digital cameras are mostly ( from experience) mitsumi USB connectors and every card reader I've seen with an external cable ( including those that work as a USB hub) are mini USB.

Some devices that *are* micro USB that I have:

Moto Q9h

HP Data messanger

Toshiba TG 01

HTC are yet to sing up to the standard ( and unlikely to with their extUSB having so many accessories out there).

M.S

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sakshamkatyal
Micro USB *popular*? Not yet. I think you're confusing it with mini USB. Digital cameras are mostly ( from experience) mitsumi USB connectors and every card reader I've seen with an external cable ( including those that work as a USB hub) are mini USB.

Some devices that *are* micro USB that I have:

Moto Q9h

HP Data messanger

Toshiba TG 01

HTC are yet to sing up to the standard ( and unlikely to with their extUSB having so many accessories out there).

M.S

Well thats I call development. Hope to have it implemented to save our future. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.