Orange UK (sort of) Recall the TG01

Guest Aquadextrous

Guest Aquadextrous

Further to the text that I and other Orange UK TG01 owners received last week, I had contacted Orange to arrange delivery of new charger. I received a confirmation email that it was processed and would be dispatched. Everything was fine I thought...

Today I had a voicemail from the repairs team asking me to call them back ASAP. I called the customer care team and was informed that there are no replacement chargers as they all potentially have the same fault - the operator could only tell me that when they get the fault they will no longer charge the phone.

I was told that as there are no replacement chargers being sent out Orange were offering to replace handsets. The choices were: LG Arena, HTC Hero and HTC Touch 3G. I said i would look at the specs of the phones and get back to them.

I'm very disappointed with the choices of phone that we've been given, none of them come close to being as mighty as the TG01, which is the phone we chose as we wanted it's features and spec.

Has anyone else spoken to Orange about this / been offered any other phone / been told any further information on the charger fault?

I'm just wondering whether I'd be able to claim for a different phone using my OrangeCare insurance i have with them. Does anyone know if this would cover a faulty phone, or what alternative they would offer me if they can't get hold of TG01's any more?!

At the moment I'm quite angry at Orange for not offering similar phones and im angry at Toshiba who seem to have made the worst built phone ever. (I've had memory card corruption where i'm now on my 4th SD card, banging/popping noises in calls (on my 2nd handset because of this and i still get the problem intermittantly), phone crashing/freezing, battery life not great and the battery meter is useless (100%, 40%, dead) and now, though i haven't had the charger problem personally, it's there lingering over my phone threatening to be a new drama!

Hrmmm....

No, wasn't the response that I got. I got the text message and called them just now. A new charger should be arriving tomorrow evening. I suggested to them what you are saying but it's the first that the handset replacement department had heard of that? I'll wait and see if I get another call!

Guest Aquadextrous
No, wasn't the response that I got. I got the text message and called them just now. A new charger should be arriving tomorrow evening. I suggested to them what you are saying but it's the first that the handset replacement department had heard of that? I'll wait and see if I get another call!

That's really strange, I've not spoken to them since Monday and even though my charger was supposed to have been ordered on Friday, I haven't had anything come through at all, just like the bloke on the phone from Orange said.

Did your replacement charger arrive?

Guest Neil5459

I went into the Broad Street Orange shop this morning where the guy normally knows what he's talking about (Orange do have one of them!)

He confirmed that there was a recall about the charger, but that even the new stock had the saem fault. Therefore there will be no replacements until a whole new batch of chargers is delivered, but that there is no plan to recall the TG01 itself.

In the meantime they advise charging via USB .

yeah i spoke to orange, they didnt say that to me. they claimed they have no issues and that they have/had the new chargers in stock. However, ive been waiting for this new charger now for a few days. Ive been hit with a couple of delays! Whenever i suggest they havent got the updated chargers in stock, they claim they have, and the delay is unconnected. next delivery date is tomorrow, so we will see. tweedle dee!!!!!!!

Guest thebigshazbowski

Soon as I got my phone - I put the charger in a drawer and never used it. I mostly charge via USB on my various computers - work and home. If I do use a charger I use my G1 charger and put a little adaptor thingy on the end that converts it from mini usb to micro usb. They are about 2 quid off ebay so I bought 3 of them.

Also, I bought a world travel adaptor that converts for US, Europe etc but it also has a USB port. so again I can just plug my USB cable into it and charge it in any socket. It can take a plug and usb at the same time so can charge 2 devices at a time from the mains. Easy for travelling....

I've been doing this for months now and have not fried my phone so I assume it's all fine & safe.

Guest Aquadextrous
He confirmed that there was a recall about the charger, but that even the new stock had the saem fault. Therefore there will be no replacements until a whole new batch of chargers is delivered, but that there is no plan to recall the TG01 itself.

Hrmm, I'm really confused why I would be told to change my handset rather than wait for the newest batch of chargers. I'm even more confused by the fact that a new charger arrived by Royal Mail on Thursday!

I guess it's just the usual case of people in call centres not knowing their arse from their elbow!

Incidentally, i'm on my 2nd TG01 handset and have upgraded to WinMo 6.5, I haven't (so far in the 2 weeks since receiving the new handset) had the faults i had with the previous one - crashing/freezing, memory card corrupting (I went through 4 cards on the previous one!), battery monitor seems more responsive... I do however still get told that my call quality is rubbish, banging / popping noises / sound cutting out etc. Not on every call but most. Incidentally, it was this that made orange give me a new handset as i was on a call to them and the operator said i sounded like i was inside a washing machine on full spin! She ran me through some things and said she'd send out a new handset!

Out of interest, how many people have the call quality problem?

PS I've tried all the solutions posted in various places around this site and nothing has improved call quality.

Hrmm, I'm really confused why I would be told to change my handset rather than wait for the newest batch of chargers. I'm even more confused by the fact that a new charger arrived by Royal Mail on Thursday!

I guess it's just the usual case of people in call centres not knowing their arse from their elbow!

Incidentally, i'm on my 2nd TG01 handset and have upgraded to WinMo 6.5, I haven't (so far in the 2 weeks since receiving the new handset) had the faults i had with the previous one - crashing/freezing, memory card corrupting (I went through 4 cards on the previous one!), battery monitor seems more responsive... I do however still get told that my call quality is rubbish, banging / popping noises / sound cutting out etc. Not on every call but most. Incidentally, it was this that made orange give me a new handset as i was on a call to them and the operator said i sounded like i was inside a washing machine on full spin! She ran me through some things and said she'd send out a new handset!

PS I've tried all the solutions posted in various places around this site and nothing has improved call quality.

'Aquadextrous' your problem is very common. If you have the opportunity to change with another headset ... do it. TG01 is a dead device, after months has not received any fix but just the promised update to 6.5 and just in 3 countryes, no games or application use TG01 accelerometer, even the hope of cooked ROMs are at a deadend. Here in italy no one is selling TG01 any more and the remaining pieces are sold at almost half the price.

Guest Chris_R

I've discussed my woes with TG01 call quality in another thread. I finally swapped it for a HTC Hero (having been offered a HTC Touch 3G in August and a LG Arena earlier in the month) and am much happier now. It's got a superbly responsive capacitive screen, well supported by the Android app store, integration with social sites (facebook etc) and fundamentally you can make good quality phone calls on it.

Sorry to say that, in my opinion, the TG01 is a mound of **** and it deserves to disappear without a trace. I really hope you guys that persevere with it get the problems sorted out.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi, just to update on this.

I recieved my new charger through the post yesterday.

Its the same model number as the broken one that

came with the phone. It also looks identical.

However, a word of warning, ive noticed

today that my charger is making a nasty

sound!!! When its plugged in you can hear

electricity. like a very faint, but VERY high pitched

keep your hands away or i will shock yo ass

type sound. I really hope i havent fried my phone.

The first charger i had rattled like a loose stone

was inside so never used it. tonight before i realised

the charger issue, i had trouble getting her to power up,

like major issue. I got it to come on eventually!

Guest vitamise
Further to the text that I and other Orange UK TG01 owners received last week, I had contacted Orange to arrange delivery of new charger. I received a confirmation email that it was processed and would be dispatched. Everything was fine I thought...

Today I had a voicemail from the repairs team asking me to call them back ASAP. I called the customer care team and was informed that there are no replacement chargers as they all potentially have the same fault - the operator could only tell me that when they get the fault they will no longer charge the phone.

I was told that as there are no replacement chargers being sent out Orange were offering to replace handsets. The choices were: LG Arena, HTC Hero and HTC Touch 3G. I said i would look at the specs of the phones and get back to them.

I'm very disappointed with the choices of phone that we've been given, none of them come close to being as mighty as the TG01, which is the phone we chose as we wanted it's features and spec.

Has anyone else spoken to Orange about this / been offered any other phone / been told any further information on the charger fault?

I'm just wondering whether I'd be able to claim for a different phone using my OrangeCare insurance i have with them. Does anyone know if this would cover a faulty phone, or what alternative they would offer me if they can't get hold of TG01's any more?!

At the moment I'm quite angry at Orange for not offering similar phones and im angry at Toshiba who seem to have made the worst built phone ever. (I've had memory card corruption where i'm now on my 4th SD card, banging/popping noises in calls (on my 2nd handset because of this and i still get the problem intermittantly), phone crashing/freezing, battery life not great and the battery meter is useless (100%, 40%, dead) and now, though i haven't had the charger problem personally, it's there lingering over my phone threatening to be a new drama!

Hrmmm....

Hi, just to let you know all chargers for the TG01 have been tested and passed by Orange, they have received replacement chargers and all customers will receive a free replacement if required. get your facts straight before spreading rumours

Guest leeston2379
Hi, just to update on this.

I recieved my new charger through the post yesterday.

Its the same model number as the broken one that

came with the phone. It also looks identical.

However, a word of warning, ive noticed

today that my charger is making a nasty

sound!!! When its plugged in you can hear

electricity. like a very faint, but VERY high pitched

keep your hands away or i will shock yo ass

type sound. I really hope i havent fried my phone.

The first charger i had rattled like a loose stone

was inside so never used it. tonight before i realised

the charger issue, i had trouble getting her to power up,

like major issue. I got it to come on eventually!

At the risk of being told i'm wrong by someone far cleverer than i, i think the high pitched whistle is down to a inductor in the charger, not always a sign of a fault.

<br />Hi, just to let you know all chargers for the TG01 have been tested and passed by Orange, they have received replacement chargers and all customers will receive a free replacement if required. get your facts straight before spreading rumours

vitamise, check out the date of his post. Orange have only had the

new chargers in stock a couple of days. prior to that everyone was being

told different stuff. working for orange vitamise?

thanks for the tip about the noise, ive never heard that before in my life

Guest Aquadextrous
Hi, just to let you know all chargers for the TG01 have been tested and passed by Orange, they have received replacement chargers and all customers will receive a free replacement if required. get your facts straight before spreading rumours

Hi vitamise,

All I had written on this forum was what I had been told by an Orange representative on the date that I originally started this thread. I have since then, updated the thread twice with further developments I have had with the phone/from Orange. There are no vicious rumours here, especially from my posts. If Orange were able to communicate within their departments so that everyone was singing off the same hymn sheet then none of this confusion would have started in the first place.

As far as the TG01 goes, mine's about to be replaced with the Hero. I've tried to get on with this phone but there's just too many bugs/faults. I love the design, shape, feel and spec of the TG01, but not being able to make calls without undue interferance (from two different handsets) is just beyond what i can cope with from what is indeed a telephone.

I think it's time to find an Android / Hero forum to read!

If this is my last post here, I'd like to thank all contributors to this forum, your tips, advice, knowledge has been invaluable.

Cheers guys!

• 3 months later...
Guest jaydee10

Hi Everyone.

The Tg01 is a great Phone.........

Of course I am joking. I have had it for 4-5 days, I am now Geting fed up. Here is a list of the faults i have found.

Lost calls

Poping and banging in most calls.

Unable to access some of the apps

Freezers at least once a day ( 3 times today )

Bad menu's, Small writing etc.

Prob more, just cant remember at the mo.

So am afraid it will have to go back ;)

Pity realy coz on paper it could have been a good phone.

Supose it will have to be a Hero.

Guest lonegunman
Hi Everyone.

The Tg01 is a great Phone.........

Of course I am joking. I have had it for 4-5 days, I am now Geting fed up. Here is a list of the faults i have found.

Lost calls

Poping and banging in most calls.

Unable to access some of the apps

Freezers at least once a day ( 3 times today )

Bad menu's, Small writing etc.

Prob more, just cant remember at the mo.

So am afraid it will have to go back ;)

Pity realy coz on paper it could have been a good phone.

Supose it will have to be a Hero.

Give it time,most of the problems you have come across will be sorted with a little app soon i bet, 1 thing thats still gets me about this phone is no T9, what is all that about?