GPS performance

Guest Pawel Virtuss Omega

Can someone tell me what is your review of the Omnia pro (b7610) GPS performance ?

Maybe compare it with OMNIA II ?

Since I know that Omnia 2, has very good and quick GPS. But I have some doubts about b7610 (because of the keyboard, and its thickness)

How long does it lock to GPS signal when A-GPS (assisted GPS) function is turned off ?

Cold/hot start time. ?

Thanks,

Guest roisagi
Can someone tell me what is your review of the Omnia pro (b7610) GPS performance ?

Maybe compare it with OMNIA II ?

Since I know that Omnia 2, has very good and quick GPS. But I have some doubts about b7610 (because of the keyboard, and its thickness)

How long does it lock to GPS signal when A-GPS (assisted GPS) function is turned off ?

Cold/hot start time. ?

Thanks,

in comparison to my htc touch pro- i have encountered low signal, and long time to get a fix...still checking...

If you can try also to test GPS accuracy, since I know that this is very important (maybe even more important than the time to fix/lock signal). Maybe try with some navigation like iGo8, in some big city with a lot of buildings, and streets, very close to each other.

I had Nokia N95 8GB, and I believe it was the worst navigation you can get (you had to slide out keyboard, so the signal was stronger <lol>). Before that I had normal car navigation.., and it was great, very accurate and fast. And I'm looking for mobile which will give me similar GPS performance.

Now I'm starting to lean to i8000 (omnia 2), since I know it has great GPS.., but wanted to have keyboard also :)

Guest dagrim1
in comparison to my htc touch pro- i have encountered low signal, and long time to get a fix...still checking...

That's weird, in comparison to my HTC Touch Pro the GPS of the B7610 is much better.... Faster fix, more accurate (with the touch pro I had the issue of my position lagging behind... not the case with the B7610).

The only issue is that if you want it to work with TomTOm you will have to use a tool like GPSProxy.

I only used Portsplitter that did nothing but kill gps .. and the GPS is a real nightmare, freeze all the time, never fix... it worked really fast one time, need to try gpsproxy

Guest Ajacied410_NL

I think the B7610 has worst GPS (at this moment).

Im dutch and im always using the dutch TomTom with the HTC touch cruise..but with my B7610 it wont work normally because the gps speaks a unknow language.

When you install port splitter your device is empty in +/- 10 hours because it won't turn your device in complete standby when not using your gps.

Maybe in the future it wil be good but now it's verry bad with tomtom (it's not only de device..also tomtom to blame).

The fix with porsplitter and tomtom is also verry long in a cold start.

After that it finds 5 sat's verry fast but only at 75% and the rest is to weak for good positioning.

At my HTC i found 7 sat's at 80 to 90%, but that was after i updated my radio rom a few times.

So hopefully Samsung will bring us good radio update's, so we can enjoy our gps (with tomtom when it's updated)

Just try GPSProxy instead of portsplitter... No problems at all with that one and quick and good fix. (Also dutch here)

Did someone test this with iGo8 ? It should work without any GPSProxy.

Also did some test GPS in the car ? Driving in the city ? Is there some lag ? (you turn some street, but the device still shows your prev. position, and tells you to turn :) ?

I finally made a short test with GPSproxy, fix is incredibly fast (what the hell is 2D fix instead of 3D ?? first time i see that) and i finally saw Tomtom working... but i still have huge lags, as if i was on simple non GPS localisation

What? B7610's GPS is very good. TOMTOM is very bad software (and need proxy). With Igo8 need 5 second to fix and never lost signal. Do not say "gps is bad", but "tomtom s...k" :)

I repeat GPS is very bad. What about Google ? it sucks hard time, I finally been able to make it work pretty cool with gpsproxy.. I just need to agree that I got 0985646874 sats.

It's not a sowftware issue but drivers, so it's samsung's fault, and their phones. Tomtom never had complains on HTC devices.

After a reboot and using it in the bus, I agree tomtom seems to work well, even when you take exclusivly forbidden roads, it's not so good on foots.

But GPS proxy is not very cool too, you can have big bugs using it and autowindows function, try to launch gpsproxy and then the gps photo or google in auto gps mode, big problems

I repeat GPS is very bad. What about Google ? it sucks hard time, I finally been able to make it work pretty cool with gpsproxy.. I just need to agree that I got 0985646874 sats.

It's not a sowftware issue but drivers, so it's samsung's fault, and their phones. Tomtom never had complains on HTC devices.

After a reboot and using it in the bus, I agree tomtom seems to work well, even when you take exclusivly forbidden roads, it's not so good on foots.

But GPS proxy is not very cool too, you can have big bugs using it and autowindows function, try to launch gpsproxy and then the gps photo or google in auto gps mode, big problems

I900/I8000 the same. Simply a problem with TOMTOM. But if is a samsung's problem, why IGO8 go fast and witouth a bridge for GPS? Easy: TOMTOM is too closed software and have a lot of bugs. All problems are only with TT. Just change SW :)

Guest JeroenFransen

That´s really odd: on both 6.1 and Secany´s 6.5 my Google Maps was working without a problem, getting a fix within 5 seconds each time! What I definitely can´t get to work is TomTom, even with GPSProxy. I´m getting the feeling it´s a WM issue as well as a TT issue. I´m trying to find out how to try IGO8 and will give that a spin. Not the best solution as I actually paid for TomTom.

Guest roisagi
That´s really odd: on both 6.1 and Secany´s 6.5 my Google Maps was working without a problem, getting a fix within 5 seconds each time! What I definitely can´t get to work is TomTom, even with GPSProxy. I´m getting the feeling it´s a WM issue as well as a TT issue. I´m trying to find out how to try IGO8 and will give that a spin. Not the best solution as I actually paid for TomTom.

it takes me 5-6 mnutes ! to get a fix......

I currently use TomTom Navigator Mobile 7.

On XDA-Developers, there was a tool to fix the GPS-lag. Once the device found a fix it booted in no-time :)

could you post the url of the xda post?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JeroenFransen

Just ran in to some references to TT 7.917 (at IPmart) which is supposed to work fine on at least the old Omnia, so there may be hope for us too. Does anyone have more references to this?

I still feel a little raw from the fact that I actually bought TomTom for WM and can't even run it on a modern phone like our B7610 Omnia Pro Qwerty Louvre.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest FortKnox101

So what problems are people exactly happening? Cause at first my TomTom wouldn't find my internal gps device at all until i changed the GPS program port to COM4 and GPS hardware port to COM9 then it found it. However it takes its time to find the satellites, doesn't exactly help that im trying to get a lock inside my own home instead of outside in the pouring rain.

Before finding the right settings I was using GPSGate as a link between TomTom and my GPS device which was instant to find satelites. People might wanna try it.

EDIT: Seems that TomTom doesnt want to work properly with the GPS unless i use GPSGate. Shame. Hopefully TomTom will fix this soon.

Edited by FortKnox101

Guest ttrevelian

I have been using Garmin Mobile XT every day for the 8 days that i have had my B7610. because i am on vacations outside my country

Until today it was working perfectly ( Fast Fix - less than 30 secs- , no lags like my touch pro) But today after using it for more than 2 hours Garmin stopped detecting it, as well as all other gps programs i have. (freeware)

Someone know what should i try? i'll be testing all night to find out if it is hardware ralated ( which i refuse to believe)\\

In short words, GPS works great with garmin XT and while getting fix for geo-tagg pics. I just hope it doesn't break in 8 days of hard work

Guest ttrevelian
I have been using Garmin Mobile XT every day for the 8 days that i have had my B7610. because i am on vacations outside my country

Until today it was working perfectly ( Fast Fix - less than 30 secs- , no lags like my touch pro) But today after using it for more than 2 hours Garmin stopped detecting it, as well as all other gps programs i have. (freeware)

Someone know what should i try? i'll be testing all night to find out if it is hardware ralated ( which i refuse to believe)\\

In short words, GPS works great with garmin XT and while getting fix for geo-tagg pics. I just hope it doesn't break in 8 days of hard work

Fixed! I don't exactly know how but baud rate was set to 4800. While using gps test realized that 9600 was default.

My setting are (Software port: com7 ;Hardware port : com9; baud rate 9600)

Guest FortKnox101

im trying out GPSProxy which seems to be faster than GPSGate however it closes itself after 5 seconds of driving in the car so tomtom loses gps lock and device...anyone else receiving this problem?

Guest b7610_fan

@fortnox, that has something to do with (internal/kernel) settings of samsung touchwiz or windows mobile.

I thought it was touchwiz.

When there is to little RAM, touchwiz ( i think ) will close some inactive programs.

when you launch tomtom...--> to few free ram available so it closes gpsproxy.

I close all programs with taskmanager before I launch gpsproxy & tomtom.

And I don't have any problems of the closing gpsproxy