USB Device Not Recognised, now nothing at all!

Guest nilmunny

Guest nilmunny

Hi,

I have an HTC hero with the latest Modaco custom rom. Recently my phone was not connecting via usb anymore, PC gave error USB device not recognised, the device you have connected to this computer has malfunctioned. I tried different cables on different machines, same problem. I tried a wipe and install everything again, now there is no error, nothing comes up on either phone or computer however it charges fine.

This seemed to happen round about the same time as i started using the wireless tether app. After using the app sometimes it would tell me my phone was in an unknown state and suggested a reboot. Now these problems have started to hapen.

Not sure what to do about it, does anyone have any suggestions. Its a bit of a pain not being able to access my phone and sd over usb.

Cheers.

Guest GodsDevil

Try using nandroid backup and then reflashing the ROM. Also, try uninstalling wifi tether app and reinstalling in once you have upgraded your ROM.

D

Guest trileptal

hi

usb ok for mount sd but no sync try manualy same dont work.

modaco 2.9

edit: but me i have access to sd card.

Witch is your OS ?

Message of the os

Message on the Hero when usb plug ?

Edited by trileptal

Guest nilmunny
Try using nandroid backup and then reflashing the ROM. Also, try uninstalling wifi tether app and reinstalling in once you have upgraded your ROM.

D

Nope, no luck, i have treid restoring a nondroid backup to an older modaco rom. I have tried wiping and reflashing new rom as well as uninstalling and re-installing wifi tether.

When i am in the recovery image i get the same problem, usb device not recognized.

Guest nilmunny
I dont know about a fix, but if you need to access the sdcard urgently I guess you could mount via the RA Recovery to see if that works.

If i boot to the recovery image the computer shows the same "usb device not recognised" error.

Has anyone else had the same problem as i describe it?

• 2 months later...
If i boot to the recovery image the computer shows the same "usb device not recognised" error.

Has anyone else had the same problem as i describe it?

Hi, did you solve this problem ? I just bought one and am facing the same problem .... :)

Guest GodsDevil
Hi, did you solve this problem ? I just bought one and am facing the same problem .... :)

Try using the SD Card reader supplied with to see if you PC reads the card.

I've tried to help other people with this problem, and it doesn't seem to be easily fixable. In the end, I guided the user through extracting the HEROIMG.zip file from an RUU and using HBOOT to flash that, and then return the phone to the store for a repair/replace.

This thread: http://android.modaco.com/content-page/299...-no-sd/page/40/

There's more reports of this issue at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...3172&page=3

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=559430

I'm wondering if Paul would know anything about fixing this.

Guest djjasonsa
I've tried to help other people with this problem, and it doesn't seem to be easily fixable. In the end, I guided the user through extracting the HEROIMG.zip file from an RUU and using HBOOT to flash that, and then return the phone to the store for a repair/replace.

This thread: http://android.modaco.com/content-page/299...-no-sd/page/40/

There's more reports of this issue at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...3172&page=3

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=559430

I'm wondering if Paul would know anything about fixing this.

I am facing the same issue , maybe someone should tweet HTC twitter user with a link . ....

Seems to be a common problem

Guest sambartle

I realise I'm going to sound nuts but bear with me..

Try blowing really hard into the USB socket on the bottom of the phone.

My old HTC Kaiser used to do thesame thing once enough pocket-fluff had built up in there to stop it getting a good firm connection.

Assuming that that doesnt help (it sounds like too many people have this problem for it not to be a fault) then have a go of these suggestions:

Are you using the Official HTC cable?

Have you tried a normal Mini USB cable?

Have you tried any other PCs?

What happens in the dmesg on the phone when you connect the cable (does dmesg wok on a Hero - I havent got round to playing yet)

Has anyone with this problem tried connecting the phone to a linux box to see what the PC end is seeing?

Edited by sambartle

My old HTC Kaiser used to do thesame thing once enough pocket-fluff had built up in there to stop it getting a good firm connection.

Assuming that that doesnt help (it sounds like too many people have this problem for it not to be a fault) then have a go of these suggestions:

What happens in the dmesg on the phone when you connect the cable (does dmesg wok on a Hero - I havent got round to playing yet)

Has anyone with this problem tried connecting the phone to a linux box to see what the PC end is seeing?

Unfortunately, I don't think the blowing the port will help, as it seems to work fine in fastboot, just not in adb or normal modes. Also doesn't work in recovery though.

This really does border on curious though, as I guided a user through flashing a stock heroimg.zip using hboot, and the issue remained. Someone elsewhere found that some parameter like board_hero.disable_uart3=1, board_hero.usb_h2w_sw=1, board_hero.disable_sdcard=1 were being set, and this is why the phone wasn't behaving.

But I don't think they found where the setting was stored :)

Guest djjasonsa

Yes I have tried using the two Official HTC cables

Tried Mini usb , no response

Tried 5 different pcs all different OS including Linux ...

Absolutly no messages are prompted on the phone - only thing happening is the charging works .

:)

Guest sambartle
Yes I have tried using the two Official HTC cables

Tried Mini usb , no response

Tried 5 different pcs all different OS including Linux ...

Absolutly no messages are prompted on the phone - only thing happening is the charging works .

:)

When you connect it to a linux pc.. try running dmesg (on the pc) and see what the phones telling the pc..

Also see what lsusb -v tells you about it.. as a basic testsee what the VID/PID is as thats what it shoudl be using to selecta driver in windows.

Guest djjasonsa
When you connect it to a linux pc.. try running dmesg (on the pc) and see what the phones telling the pc..

Also see what lsusb -v tells you about it.. as a basic testsee what the VID/PID is as thats what it shoudl be using to selecta driver in windows.

Tried --- No communication - It seems I am not the only one with this problem maybe becoming more common .

Tried --- No communication - It seems I am not the only one with this problem maybe becoming more common .

I have had the same problem, in short, I had to have the unit serviced to get it working again.

I've noticed the ONLY way u can gain access to the unit is in fastboot mode (IF your remote access is allowed, meaning your hboot is patched or unprotected).

I'll see what i can do under fastboot and let u guys know.

I have had the same problem, in short, I had to have the unit serviced to get it working again.

I've noticed the ONLY way u can gain access to the unit is in fastboot mode (IF your remote access is allowed, meaning your hboot is patched or unprotected).

I'll see what i can do under fastboot and let u guys know.

update1: if you do have a patched hboot using modaco's patched hboot, chances are you are lucky.

1) grab modaco, any version, and put it in the microsd card of your device, using a card reader. for now i will call that file "update.zip" in your sdcard's root directory.

2) grab RA-recovery's img from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=561124. for now i will assume you get it and placed the img file into the root directory of your sdcard, called "recovery.img".

3) if you have not updated your hboot, you can still boot into fastboot mode with usable USB connection to your pc (for sure - try holding back + power to boot up device after you removed and reinsert your battery)

then extract a boot.img from modaco's update.zips, see if you can do this command:

fastboot boot boot.img

once you have rebooted then you are lucky enough to have adb access, at the very least.

if not (your screen would most likely say "remote: not allowed"; then you're a bit unlucky at this point. no solution yet, afaik.

if you do are able to boot the boot.img, do this:

# mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard/

once your sdcard is mounted, force an update

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

once that's done, reboot your device into recovery mode by typing the following:

# reboot recovery

you should be able to load into recovery mode. now see if you can update your device using the option "Flash zip from sdcard > SDCARD:update.zip

and if the update is successful, then you're lucky.

let me know how far u got.

----

a shorter way to do the above:

1) put the update.zip into your sdcard like I've mentioned above.

2) reinsert your battery and press vol_down + power and boot into fastboot mode. press "BACK" after u see the white fastboot screen on your device.

when you are at that screen, in your command prompt, type this:

\> fastboot update /sdcard/update.zip

and reboot your device.

---

if you still can't do anything, I wonder if anyone here including Paul knows a way to access adb shell using fastboot mode?

Guest djjasonsa
fastboot boot boot.img

---

if you still can't do anything, I wonder if anyone here including Paul knows a way to access adb shell using fastboot mode?

well I was hoping this would work , but no ---- completely nothing at the fastboot boot.img :)

Edited by djjasonsa

Unfortunately, I don't think this would help, as I've guided someone else (search the forum for it, I can't remember the link. but title mentioned ADB...) and even got to the stage of doing a successful total wipe of the phone from HBOOT using a goldcard and HEROIMG.zip (from inside official HTC RUU), where you tap the volume down in fastboot. That should have overwritten pretty much everything, so I'm at a loss as to what would be the next best step (person I mentioned said he would put phone in for warranty, as we got stock ROM back onto it with stock recovery)

I think it would be good if we could find a solution to this issue, as it is definitely not isolated, and it's actually a bit of an embarrasment that we, as a modding community, can do some really complex things, but can't fix a problem like this :) I'll think about some more possible methods, but I'm at a loss at the moment as to where to look next...

@Anyone, is there by any chance a type of 'NAND flash' on the phone that isn't wiped when we do a full flash/wipe? If so, can we access it? I think the issue could lie there, if such a thing exists.

Edited by pulser

Unfortunately, I don't think this would help, as I've guided someone else (search the forum for it, I can't remember the link. but title mentioned ADB...) and even got to the stage of doing a successful total wipe of the phone from HBOOT using a goldcard and HEROIMG.zip (from inside official HTC RUU), where you tap the volume down in fastboot. That should have overwritten pretty much everything, so I'm at a loss as to what would be the next best step (person I mentioned said he would put phone in for warranty, as we got stock ROM back onto it with stock recovery)

I think it would be good if we could find a solution to this issue, as it is definitely not isolated, and it's actually a bit of an embarrasment that we, as a modding community, can do some really complex things, but can't fix a problem like this :) I'll think about some more possible methods, but I'm at a loss at the moment as to where to look next...

@Anyone, is there by any chance a type of 'NAND flash' on the phone that isn't wiped when we do a full flash/wipe? If so, can we access it? I think the issue could lie there, if such a thing exists.

indeed. there's a LOT of users encountering this problem after a certain stage of wiping and installing custom roms (including myself); I am still wondering the cause. Apparently we can see that the USB and SD card is not mounted in dmesg of the device (using connectbot and do local connection on the device and dump dmesg).

indeed. there's a LOT of users encountering this problem after a certain stage of wiping and installing custom roms (including myself); I am still wondering the cause. Apparently we can see that the USB and SD card is not mounted in dmesg of the device (using connectbot and do local connection on the device and dump dmesg).

Don't know if I've suggested this here, but

fastboot -c "board_hero.disable_uart3=0 board_hero.usb_h2w_sw=0 board_hero.disable_sdcard=0 no_console_suspend=1 console=null" boot NAMEOFYOURRECOVERYIMAGE.img

may help in setting these values that are stopping usb from working. An older boot loader is needed for that command.

Edited by pulser

Guest djjasonsa
fastboot -c "board_hero.disable_uart3=0 board_hero.usb_h2w_sw=0 board_hero.disable_sdcard=0 no_console_suspend=1 console=null" boot NAMEOFYOURRECOVERYIMAGE.img

may help in setting these values that are stopping usb from working. An older boot loader is needed for that command.

Thanks I was hoping for that to work , nothing all I am getting is "waiting for device" :)

• 2 months later...
Guest b_jammin666

Is there any more news on this as my phone has just started doing the exact same thing!

EDIT: Ok, completely wiping everything and re-flashing a ROM fixed it. I can now get the phone to mount SD card and ADB is working again.. phew! Thought I'd have to return my phone!

Edited by b_jammin666

Guest b_jammin666

Ok so I the problem happened again after a week of it working fine. I tried this and once it reboots into the recovery img it still says usb device not recognized.

A lot of other threads have suggested doing the "hard reset" (holding home + back while turning on). The usb port then is "dead" (does not apear within device manager etc but does charge the phone) until you boot the phone with the usb cable connected. It then fails with the same error message. Does any one else have any other suggestions of fixing this?

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my TELUS (GSM) Hero and I have never used any custom firmware on it.

I may have to take it back to TELUS for repair....