I have had the same problem, in short, I had to have the unit serviced to get it working again.
I've noticed the ONLY way u can gain access to the unit is in fastboot mode (IF your remote access is allowed, meaning your hboot is patched or unprotected).
I'll see what i can do under fastboot and let u guys know.
update1: if you do have a patched hboot using modaco's patched hboot, chances are you are lucky.
1) grab modaco, any version, and put it in the microsd card of your device, using a card reader. for now i will call that file "update.zip" in your sdcard's root directory.
2) grab RA-recovery's img from this thread: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=561124
. for now i will assume you get it and placed the img file into the root directory of your sdcard, called "recovery.img".
3) if you have not updated your hboot, you can still boot into fastboot mode with usable USB connection to your pc (for sure - try holding back + power to boot up device after you removed and reinsert your battery)
then extract a boot.img from modaco's update.zips, see if you can do this command:
fastboot boot boot.img
once you have rebooted then you are lucky enough to have adb access, at the very least.
if not (your screen would most likely say "remote: not allowed"; then you're a bit unlucky at this point. no solution yet, afaik.
if you do are able to boot the boot.img, do this:
# mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard/
once your sdcard is mounted, force an update
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
once that's done, reboot your device into recovery mode by typing the following:
# reboot recovery
you should be able to load into recovery mode. now see if you can update your device using the option "Flash zip from sdcard > SDCARD:update.zip
and if the update is successful, then you're lucky.
let me know how far u got.
a shorter way to do the above:
1) put the update.zip into your sdcard like I've mentioned above.
2) reinsert your battery and press vol_down + power and boot into fastboot mode. press "BACK" after u see the white fastboot screen on your device.
when you are at that screen, in your command prompt, type this:
\> fastboot update /sdcard/update.zip
and reboot your device.
if you still can't do anything, I wonder if anyone here including Paul knows a way to access adb shell using fastboot mode?