Free TG01 available from Orange...

Guest Medved77

Guest Medved77

I'm hoping someone working for Orange may pick this up and shed some light on the matter.

I bought the TG01 back in September, from Orange but using a link through 3rd party mobile comparison site. It's a 12 month contract and I think it's the Racoon 35 or similar.

The day I got the phone I unlocked it and have been using my local SIM (Channel Islands) in it. I wanted the phone sim free but this was not an option so I took the cheapest contract which meant I could pay monthly.

I've never used the supplied Orange SIM, never even inserted it into the phone. My dad signed up for the contract on my behalf as I didn't have a UK address, to date he has only been charged for the initial delivery of the phone, about £12.

I had expected at least 2-3 bills by now but no money has been taken.

Here's where I need some advice........

Do you think I should contact Orange to explain the situation? I'd prefer to pay monthly rather than be handed a £400+ bill once they realise I haven't used their service at all.

If I do use the SIM card at a later date would that effectively become the start of my 12 month contract?

If Orange notice this themselves am I likely to receive 1 large bill as I'm probably in breach of contract (therefore cancelling the contract).

Should I just keep quiet and enjoy?

Your thoughts are appreciated, especially if you have inside knowledge.

Guest Neil5459

You do need to contact Orange- technically you are liable for the contract payments (or your father is!) even if they don't collect them, so it might be better to get advice now rather than wait for the whole bill to arrive at once!

It may be that you're not using the SIM card at all has not evoked the automatic billing. Did you have to sign a Direct Debit agreement when you took the contract?

Guest Medved77
You do need to contact Orange- technically you are liable for the contract payments (or your father is!) even if they don't collect them, so it might be better to get advice now rather than wait for the whole bill to arrive at once!

It may be that you're not using the SIM card at all has not evoked the automatic billing. Did you have to sign a Direct Debit agreement when you took the contract?

Thanks for the advice Neil,

The whole order process was done on-line so nothing was physically signed. I'll find out later if he has a direct debit set up in on-line banking with Orange.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Medved77
Thanks for the advice Neil,

The whole order process was done on-line so nothing was physically signed. I'll find out later if he has a direct debit set up in on-line banking with Orange.

Direct debit was set up and still no payments have been taken, must be 3 months now. Are there any Orange UK employees who can verify what the process is in this situation?