Over / under clocking

Guest PaulOBrien

I've installed my 'Set CPU for Root Users' app from the market, and although it doesn't let me set anything (not root), it does show the speed etc. correctly. I think when / if we can root, we can under / over clock :D

P

I've installed my 'Set CPU for Root Users' app from the market, and although it doesn't let me set anything (not root), it does show the speed etc. correctly. I think when / if we can root, we can under / over clock ;)

P

Depending on ofcorse how the battery preforms to it!

Guest griffo_001

Any word on whether Set CPU works now the liquid has been rooted? I'm torn between this and the HTC Bravo/Passion/Dragon atm, this looks as if it'll be significantly cheaper, and if it's possible to overclock it i may well end up picking up a black model when they go on sale next year ;) The only things that are stopping me are the fact you don't get the full 1GHz, and the fact it looked quite cheap [but having seen 2 unboxings I'll retract that last bit]

Thanks

Matt

It works for underclocking, but won't go higher than 768MHz... Seriously tho, I don't think I need it any faster, more interested in prolonging the battery! ;)

No .. I think I would really like 1GHz ... what is the next step to get it working at 1Ghz?

Guest netnerd
No .. I think I would really like 1GHz ... what is the next step to get it working at 1Ghz?

i want it a 1Ghz too! are you kids homeless? i dont need longer battery life! i can charge my phone whenever i go! at home, car, hotel, etc !

Guest Skerved

I'd like a longer battery life too, and if it works good at a lower frequency, why not?

If I'm at a train or bus trip without a power outlet, I wanna be able to use it! And that even if I forgot to charge it just before I go. Also, at such trips I tend to use it more then usual. ;)

Guest lisinge

Have you came any further about this? Do you guys have any idea on how to overclock it?

Allso what do you think i should set my lowest clock speed in SetCPU to get the best performance but not running out of battery so fast?

Hey people first post here!

Honestly, what applications or games benefit from the O.C? In my opinion, nothing.

From a benchmark pov id find it interesting to clock it to a maximum. Otherwise everything runs smooth even at 576 mhz for me atm

Guest lisinge
At 576MHz it feels like the Droid. ;)

P

Well, i never experience anny lag ;)

But Do i need to have setCPU running in the background for it to work or can i kill it through Taskiller and it will keep the min and max settings running?

Guest maxisma

Okay, if its impossible to overclock atm, Acer scaled it down in their Kernel.

You guys would have to request the Kernel source which is under GPL, so they HAVE to release it.

This way people will be able to mod it to allow 1 GHz.

Guest chingy1788

at 245/245 when screen is off, hows the battery life?

I'm still quite hesitant of rooting...

Is there a way to unroot? how easy is it to brick it?

I seem to get a max estimate of 12-16 hours out of my liquid...

The old G1 could last 24hrs+, on a 1600mAh battery though

I wonder when we'll see higher capacity batteries for the liquid

Guest TheNano
Okay, if its impossible to overclock atm, Acer scaled it down in their Kernel.

You guys would have to request the Kernel source which is under GPL, so they HAVE to release it.

This way people will be able to mod it to allow 1 GHz.

The source is good, but eher Acer make it to be max at 687Mhz is here

cat init.salsa.sh 

#!/system/bin/sh

value=`getprop persist.maxcpukhz`

case "$value" in

"")

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq >\

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

;;

*)

echo $value > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

;;

esac

echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

echo 90 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

echo 30 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/down_differential

echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate

I tried make my boot image but it is not working yet, changing value to 998000 may make the change

Yeah, i'm using SetCPU to clock mine to 245/245 when screen is off!

P

At what speed does it run with screen off/in standby without underclocking?

And is there a noticeable longer battery life if underclocking?

You don't need to use SetCPU with Liquid. It uses "ondemand" cpu frequency governor by default, so it's always 245MHz when idle (not only when screen is off, but also when you don't press anything).  

To my acknowledge it is not possible to overclock with this kernel, because it currently supports only 4 cpu frequencies: 245/384/576/768. From dmesg:

<6>[ 0.273333] Max ACPU freq from efuse data is 768000 KHz

<6>[ 0.273980] ACPU running at 768000 KHz

<6>[ 0.274000] 4 scaling frequencies supported.

Guest Seth Cold

well well, anyone tried the new 1.43a version?? seems they updated something for the liquid and then the nexus... so i guess thats more support for snapdragon...

1.4.3: Includes compatibility fixes for HDPI devices and UI enhancements. Frequency lists for the Samsung Moment (untested), the T-Mobile Pulse, and the Acer Liquid have been included. The application will no longer sometimes re-set CPU frequencies upon launch.

1.4.3a: Added more frequencies for the Nexus One.