1, The battery life is rubbish
Not true. It has one of the bigest battries around (1500mAh). The initial firmware had a bunch of problems, but with the latest (leaked) ik4 firmware the camera button problem is fixed and battery lasts alot longer. There are also a bunch of processes you can kill (tweaks) which are wasting cpu.
2, The camera is sub standard
Its not great, but its alot better than the hero one. The initial firmware had flash timing issues, but on ii5 (latest official one) and ik5 its fine
3, Apart from one update (Did it make a difference?) there have been no updates
so to speak of.
Not true. There have been about 2 updates a month, except a long pause of no updates for the last month. Now ik4 was leaked which makes a dramatic difference. Firmwares are coded with month letter (A=jan, B= feb etc) and a build number. So far we have had..
FF - initial build
G6 - July build 6
G8 - July buil 8
H2 - August build 2
H4 - August build 4
H7 - August build 7
H8 - August build 8
I3 - September build 3
I4 - Septemeber build 4 (O2 uk's official build)
I5 - September buld 5 (latest official build for most regions)
I8 - September build 8 (obtained from a newly bought phone)
k4 - November build 4 (uploaded to androidforums.com by a user.. totally checks out.. we suspect an insider
Having said all of that I wouldnt recomend you buying one. Here's why:
- It only has 192mb ram. This is enough for most stuff, but its not enough to potentially port sensui (the hero gui). It also means you cant run loads of widgets without memory swapping which makes the device feel slower
- Samsung use some secure ril vendor file. That means it makes it impossible/reallllly dificult for use to port new android versions ourselves
- Samsung are dithering as to when/if they will release 2.0 on it. There are conflicting reports from media AND samsung
On the plus side, the phone is TOTALLY security unlocked. Which means you can always root it. So if you can get it really cheap, it might be worth it. But on contract or more than about 250 pounds and i wouldnt bother.
Another alternative might be to buy a behold 2 from the US. Its the exact same phones except:
- Instead of 8gb internal storage, it has 320mb RAM. YES 320mb RAM vs the 192mb ram the galaxy has. 320mb is more than even the hero has.
- Its security locked. That means you need to use an exploit to root it. There is one curently available. If you root it now, and dont use official updates you'll be fine forever
- It has a 3d cube interface (it sucks but you can remove it by installing a home replacement
- It uses secure partitions so you need to hijack a file to root it. That means custom roms isnt the same as on other phones
- Its cheap, and getting cheaper! just make sure u get an unlocked one.