boot.img base adress

Guest TheNano

Guest TheNano

Well I was trying to experiment with the boot image mainly to find a way to over-clock the beast! I tried to repack the image without base adress and it wouldn't boot.

Is there anybody who could share

1- a way to find out that adress ?

2- just the adress!

with me ?

Guest AcerDroid

Me too, I'm getting frustrated with my first experience in repacking the original boot.img of my Acer Liquid. What I just want is to edit the /default.prop from the ramdisk and then repack it.

What happen is the screen showing "acer" with black-only forever but I can still go to "fastboot" mode.

Please help us! :)

If ever, any idea on how to override the /default.prop? I can't seem to override the "ro.sf.lcd_density" to "120" using:

/system/build.[trout].prop

/system/default.prop

/data/local.prop

/data/default.prop

Another question: If ever we have already the base address, how to use it? I'm really clueless and this repacking stuff kills me softly

Edited by AcerDroid

Guest TheNano
Me too, I'm getting frustrated with my first experience in repacking the original boot.img of my Acer Liquid. What I just want is to edit the /default.prop from the ramdisk and then repack it.

What happen is the screen showing "acer" with black-only forever but I can still go to "fastboot" mode.

Please help us! :)

If ever, any idea on how to override the /default.prop? I can't seem to override the "ro.sf.lcd_density" to "120" using:

/system/build.[trout].prop

/system/default.prop

/data/local.prop

/data/default.prop

Another question: If ever we have already the base address, how to use it? I'm really clueless and this repacking stuff kills me softly

if you have that , read htc HERO section on XDA , search for howto ROM cooking or so, will link you later

Edited by TheNano

Guest AcerDroid

I've already figured out how to use the base address ;) Thanks

Now, all I need is what base address to use in mkbootimg to make my repacking successful

Help please :)

Edited by AcerDroid

Guest luthepa1

Well I am glad I found this thread as I was about to start a new thread about my difficulties with custom edited boot.img. But now I see I am not the only one.

I find the same. I cant get fastboot to write my custom boot.img. I fails when writing to nand saying tis invalid or something. I then tried pushing my custom boot.img onto my sdcard, then reboot into recovery mode, and use the "flash_image boot boot.img". That works but on reboot it stops on the black screen with acer logo in white.

So now I see we need to know the base address. I imagine Paul must know as his superboot.img works without fail. Its the only boot.img I have that I can always successfully flash back to boot partition to get my phone going again. My phones boot.img from my backup created from nandorid-mobile.sh is also rejected by fastboot saying its invalid. Although I have not tried manually flashing the backup boot.img with the flash_image command which I see nandroid-mobile.sh uses. Might try that tomorrow just for interests sake.

Guest AcerDroid

Yep, I also thought I am the only one who experience this repacking boot image problem. I also think Paul is the key to our success and I hope we get the response sooner.

Note, I've already tried several scripts and manual tricks but it really don't work.

I think I've already flashed 15+ times and I'm worried about my ROM's health.

To others who wants to repack, please don't try and try to flash it again, let's just wait for the base address from someone.

Guest TheNano
Yep, I also thought I am the only one who experience this repacking boot image problem. I also think Paul is the key to our success and I hope we get the response sooner.

Note, I've already tried several scripts and manual tricks but it really don't work.

I think I've already flashed 15+ times and I'm worried about my ROM's health.

To others who wants to repack, please don't try and try to flash it again, let's just wait for the base address from someone.

no problem flashing nand many times.

I got one boot using fastboot boot test.img, some how using hexeditor, I will calculate a base later and will let you know, will post a how to hex edit until then ,

Is changing density from 60 to 120 changes anything? can you explain please

Guest AcerDroid

Wow that's a progress. Me, I want to modify the /default.prop (which is in my experience, can not be overridden) to set the density to 120.

The ro.sf.lcd_density of Acer Liquid is by default set to 240. If you look here http://developer.android.com/reference/and...layMetrics.html then read about the densities, it is the DPI equivalent in our desktop (most probably on linux desktops where DPI is entirely configurable).

The large android tablets or desktops out there has a density of 120.

Our Acer Liquid is 240 because the pixel spacing is very tight but for me, if I set it to 120, the fonts and the UIs will definitely feel like having a real desktop scale packed inside our 3.5" display (which is at the cost of having UI and fonts smaller) because I want to feel real 800px wideness of my Acer Liquid.

Therefore, the Acer Liquid having a 240 density with 800px wideness is almost equivalent to HTCs having density of 160sh at 480px wideness

Sorry, please forgive my English. I hope you understand what I was saying :)

Edited by AcerDroid

Guest TheNano

some thing is WRONG, it is not working as it should, we wait until Paul tells oss how to do it

Ok , using a HexEditor you can find this stinr "A0 E1 00 00 A0 E1 00 00" in the fastroot image, start from A0 to end cut every thing , now oppen your new made image (maybe made by using HERO base adress)find the same string start from A0 to the end copy every thing, now go back to the fastroot file and paste everything, save as newboot.img and test by just booting it.

Edited by TheNano

Guest AcerDroid

I'm really messed up. In my case, it really didn't worked

I'm modifying the superboot image

Extracted the kernel and ramdisk using the perl script 'unpack' over here http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?titl...ack_Boot_Images

Modified the /default.prop

Repacked using the perl script 'repack' from the website again

Generated a new boot image with/without base address (based from HERO)

And followed your instructions (HEXING)

What happened was, if I fastboot boot newboot.img, the black-only background with acer logo appears then suddenly blacks-out then do the endless loop again

I think what I need is the Paul's parameters on how he created the boot image of his superboot

Guest TheNano
I'm really messed up. In my case, it really didn't worked

I'm modifying the superboot image

Extracted the kernel and ramdisk using the perl script 'unpack' over here http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?titl...ack_Boot_Images

Modified the /default.prop

Repacked using the perl script 'repack' from the website again

Generated a new boot image with/without base address (based from HERO)

And followed your instructions (HEXING)

What happened was, if I fastboot boot newboot.img, the black-only background with acer logo appears then suddenly blacks-out then do the endless loop again

I think what I need is the Paul's parameters on how he created the boot image of his superboot

well I upackded it using a hexeditor , and repacked it like that :

mkbootimg --cmdline 'no_console_suspend=1 console=null' --kernel kernel1 --ramdisk newramdisk.cpio.gz -o mynewimage1.img

or use this link :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=551711

I will find the base adress ... soon

Edited by TheNano

Guest TheNano
Hey dudes - you need to set the base address, but also recompile mkbootimg. I'll post deets after xmas.

P

Hi Paul, hope you have had fun at x-mas , any progress with posting deets ?

Guest AcerDroid

Actually when I traced the base address of the superboot, I've found out that it uses 0x20000000. However, after trying it several times with my mkbootimg, it still doesn't work. I really want a new mkbootimg because my Acer Liquid becoming useless cuz the simple font customization I want is haven't attained this christmas.

This is the complete list of bases I've modified in mkbootimg.c:

hdr.kernel_addr = 0x20008000;

hdr.ramdisk_addr = 0x24000000;

hdr.second_addr = 0x20F00000;

hdr.tags_addr = 0x20000100;

you can: git clone git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/system/core.git

to have the source codes

Edited by AcerDroid

Guest behnaam
Actually when I traced the base address of the superboot, I've found out that it uses 0x20000000. However, after trying it several times with my mkbootimg, it still doesn't work. I really want a new mkbootimg because my Acer Liquid becoming useless cuz the simple font customization I want is haven't attained this christmas.

This is the complete list of bases I've modified in mkbootimg.c:

hdr.kernel_addr = 0x20008000;

hdr.ramdisk_addr = 0x24000000;

hdr.second_addr = 0x20F00000;

hdr.tags_addr = 0x20000100;

you can: git clone git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/system/core.git

to have the source codes

Can somebody try the mkbootimg binary I've made. Its built for linuxX86:

mkbootimg

Edited by behnaam

Guest AcerDroid

Oh, that was mysterious. Using Firefox made downloading possible.

However, there is still a magic on how Paul created his superboot. I can't still create a bootable boot.img using your mkbootimg either with base address or not.

Guest behnaam
Oh, that was mysterious. Using Firefox made downloading possible.

However, there is still a magic on how Paul created his superboot. I can't still create a bootable boot.img using your mkbootimg either with base address or not.

Ok :) gotta look into that

Guest AcerDroid

Ok gottcha!! :) after repacking your newly created boot image using base address of 0x20000000, copy the first 12 bytes from Paul's superboot then replace it into your boot.img.

I used behnaam's mkbootimg thanks!!!

Hint: the newboot.img should have first 12 bytes like this : ANDROID!pk!

Then boom! It works ;) I now have more spaces on my display thanks to ro.sf.lcd_density=120 on my /default.prop B)

Well done! Any change of a screenshot to show how your display differs from the standard ?

Thanks.

Ok gottcha!! :) after repacking your newly created boot image using base address of 0x20000000, copy the first 12 bytes from Paul's superboot then replace it into your boot.img.

I used behnaam's mkbootimg thanks!!!

Hint: the newboot.img should have first 12 bytes like this : ANDROID!pk!

Then boom! It works ;) I now have more spaces on my display thanks to ro.sf.lcd_density=120 on my /default.prop B)

Guest liquid_it
Ok gottcha!! :)

Great! This should allow us to customize even boot scripts, ins't it?

So you followed these steps:

1. Unpacked the stock boot.img using unpack-bootimg.pl from link
  2. Modified what you needed
  3. Repacked using repack-bootimg.pl AND the new mkbootimg posted here
  4. Modified using a hex editor the first 12 bytes of the new boot.img to ANDROID!pk!
  5. Flashed using ./fastboot-linux -i 0x0502 flash boot boot.img
Right? Edited by liquid_it