HTC Hero Touch Screen Problem

Guest anujshrivastava

Guest anujshrivastava

Dear Team Members,

I am from India and this is my first query in MoDaCo and i hope i will get a proper response as compare with HTC Support.

Just two months ago i have purchased new HTC Hero device, after getting device i also upgraded its ROM to RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver. It worked fine for one and half months.Suddenly it lower part of touch screen (having menu,phone and + sign) stopped responding properly. I have done factory reset as well as tried advance task killer application but no response.I raised this issue to HTC Support and they took my IMEI,Serial number and said that this device is not belongs to India so it will not come under HTC warraty so they cannot do anything.I have device bill also.I dont know from which country this device belongs to.I also contacted to the shop from where i have purchased this device but no support. Even shopkeeper offered me buy back Hero with 30% of its original cost.I dont know what should i do? Can anybody tell me whats wrong with my device or have anybody faced this kind of problem and what is the solution ????

In HTC Hero cost somebody can buy a notebook computer in India...

I almost lost my hope with HTC Support but I hope somebody will answer my question.

Guest Dan Mullen
Dear Team Members,

I am from India and this is my first query in MoDaCo and i hope i will get a proper response as compare with HTC Support.

Just two months ago i have purchased new HTC Hero device, after getting device i also upgraded its ROM to RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver. It worked fine for one and half months.Suddenly it lower part of touch screen (having menu,phone and + sign) stopped responding properly. I have done factory reset as well as tried advance task killer application but no response.I raised this issue to HTC Support and they took my IMEI,Serial number and said that this device is not belongs to India so it will not come under HTC warraty so they cannot do anything.I have device bill also.I dont know from which country this device belongs to.I also contacted to the shop from where i have purchased this device but no support. Even shopkeeper offered me buy back Hero with 30% of its original cost.I dont know what should i do? Can anybody tell me whats wrong with my device or have anybody faced this kind of problem and what is the solution ????

I almost lost my hope with HTC Support but I hope somebody will answer my question.

It sounds like a hardware fault to me. Your contract (of sale) is with the shop where you bought the phone. I would go back to them and explain that the phone has developed a fault within the warranty period and so you are therefore entitled to a repair or replacement.

(To be honest, I know a fair amount about UK consumer law but not much about Indian consumer law. I don't really know how you stand, but I'd definitely go back to the shop. If they're selling HTC devices that aren't licensed to be sold in India, they could get into trouble. Try telling them that HTC have said it should not have been sold in India and that they have asked for full details of the shop that sold it - that might scare the shopkeeper into helping you out :))

Guest anujshrivastava
It sounds like a hardware fault to me. Your contract (of sale) is with the shop where you bought the phone. I would go back to them and explain that the phone has developed a fault within the warranty period and so you are therefore entitled to a repair or replacement.

(To be honest, I know a fair amount about UK consumer law but not much about Indian consumer law. I don't really know how you stand, but I'd definitely go back to the shop. If they're selling HTC devices that aren't licensed to be sold in India, they could get into trouble. Try telling them that HTC have said it should not have been sold in India and that they have asked for full details of the shop that sold it - that might scare the shopkeeper into helping you out :) )

Thanks for the reply, surely i will try this. Also sometimes it seems to me that it may be software fault.Is there any way to check it ???

• 1 month later...
It worked fine for one and half months.Suddenly it lower part of touch screen (having menu,phone and + sign) stopped responding properly. I have done factory reset as well as tried advance task killer application but no response.

I have exactly the same problem with my Hero (bought in Russia).

The lower part of the screen (several millimeters from the edge) just became almost insensitive. Orientation has no effect (say, I cannot type "p" in keyboard when it's in landscape, or space when in portrait), so I'm almost sure the problem is hardware related.

One more observation: when I "multitouch" the lower line in a file browser with two fingers, it works. Great manifestation of capacitive screen technology :)

Guest ganlanshu
I have exactly the same problem with my Hero (bought in Russia).

The lower part of the screen (several millimeters from the edge) just became almost insensitive. Orientation has no effect (say, I cannot type "p" in keyboard when it's in landscape, or space when in portrait), so I'm almost sure the problem is hardware related.

One more observation: when I "multitouch" the lower line in a file browser with two fingers, it works. Great manifestation of capacitive screen technology :angry:

Very similar problem here too, but mostly on the second row of keys (a - l) when in portrait, and on the RHS of the keyboard when in landscape.

Most likely to be a hardware problem. Chek this touchscreen test:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/moto-gi...screen-quality/

I did the same on my Hero, with mixed results: I get very straight and smooth lines on the top 2/3 of the screen, but it's really jagged at the bottom of the screen (with the same kind of "waviness" shown for the Droid in the video).

I've tried cleaning the touchscreen (including from the inside: check out http://xmediahandyman.blogspot.com/2010/01...o-european.html ) but that makes no difference.

Not sure what more could be tried, and I doubt that the coming ROM update (to 2.1) will do anything about it...

Guest Parano!d
Dear Team Members,

same problem here bro,

but afaik htc hero is not available in india on mobile stores, only Airtel provides Hero with some packages,etc

all others who sell them are imported from other places,

i purchased form india too,later came to know it was imported from UK ..... no warranty

the same some 10px above from bottom part of screen i'm facing, but at times it gets fine,at times it doesnt work,

everytime i restart it starts working, this amazes me if its software issue...

hi i am also from india

i got hero from us which originally belonged to Uk

afaic i dont think this is software problem.

try mcr 3.1, if it eliminates ur problem then its software( i doubt though) otherwise ur in soup brother

• 2 months later...
Guest Flex82

Same problem as the OP. Strangely enough, it happened when I flashed Modaco 3.2.

Guess I need to flash the original rom and send it back for repair?

• 1 month later...
Guest Umar.Khan

Folks, i too have the same problem, the lower portion of the screen doesnt sense the touch. It makes it impossible to type any text or sign in to any services if your user id or password contains alphabets falling in the lower line of the keyboard.

This is surely a hardware problem which i feel HTC must support to rectify by replacing all such devices no matter where you buy it from. If you bought it in UK or USA and are using it in any other country doesnt mean that the device will not fail if you were to use it in UK or USA!!

I am a user of HTC devices for the past 3 years, but now with this problem i am pretty much shifting away from it because of poor support from HTC. I recommend all of you to send out the words to all your family members and friends to NOT to use HTC products anymore.. they have very poor service support. At least 10 of my friends bought HTC Hero on my recommendation but now I am going to tell all my friends to dump HTC and go for any other brand but not HTC anymore.

Guest tomerben
Same problem - SOlution replace Digitizer :( already orderd one. Good luck

Same problem here :-(

Were did you buy it from? did you get it already? easy to install?

Thanks!

Tomer

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mpo55
Same problem here :-(

Were did you buy it from? did you get it already? easy to install?

Thanks!

Tomer

hi got the same problem, but solved it......it's a software screen control error i think....

just install Chomps SMS or some other writing software, flip the screen, test if the "p" is working, then rotate it back.....worked for me.....

hope it will help....

• 8 months later...
Guest alien83

I have the same problem. I have a Steamy Window game and tried with it. The lower part of the screen doesn't sense my finger.

I have been having this HERO for almost 2 years. First I got a G-Sensor problem. Couldn't calibrate it. Later, my phone got upgraded to OS 2.1 for free through HTC update. It fixed the G-Sensor problem finally (after more than a year) and it gave me a real brand new Interface and faster speed of responses.

Then, recently, there is another update. I updated it... since around that time, I noticed having difficulty typing. Then I tried Steamy Window (freeware) and found out the insensitive area of the screen. If you drag across that area it's fine. If you touch tat area, there's just no response.

Now so disappointed with HTC. they don't have proper response on the htc website. All they just told me is that they didn't release this version for middle east. That's why, they can't help. What is that??? What does it matter about where I purchased the phone and where I use it. It is still HTC Genuine Product. :D

Guest anujshrivastava
I have the same problem. I have a Steamy Window game and tried with it. The lower part of the screen doesn't sense my finger.

I have been having this HERO for almost 2 years. First I got a G-Sensor problem. Couldn't calibrate it. Later, my phone got upgraded to OS 2.1 for free through HTC update. It fixed the G-Sensor problem finally (after more than a year) and it gave me a real brand new Interface and faster speed of responses.

Then, recently, there is another update. I updated it... since around that time, I noticed having difficulty typing. Then I tried Steamy Window (freeware) and found out the insensitive area of the screen. If you drag across that area it's fine. If you touch tat area, there's just no response.

Now so disappointed with HTC. they don't have proper response on the htc website. All they just told me is that they didn't release this version for middle east. That's why, they can't help. What is that??? What does it matter about where I purchased the phone and where I use it. It is still HTC Genuine Product. :D

Dear Members,

In almost two years of experience with HTC Hero i got touch screen problem 04 times. HTC has replaced touch screen 04 times (digitizer), main board 01 time. Also HTC has given me extended warranty for 03 months but sadly again same problem started after end of extended warranty. Hero is my third HTC phone but honestly i will not recommond anyone to purchase HTC product for two reason

1: Having touch screen problem in almost every handset.

2. Upgrade limitation on android phones. (Hero can upgrade till android 2.1)

• 2 months later...
Guest Tanakorn

Hi, same touch screen problem. Here's form Thailand, support is good enough to change the screen twice for me. It was in warranty but now it's out of warranty and I could not type or press enter or can using HTC sence UI anymore. I really love droid+HTC Sence but have to switch to others. Not anymore.